Using Avatars of War figures in AOS, specifically for dwarfs

Arathorn

Hey folks,

I have just been looking through the avatar of War dwarf miniatures and they are really impressive surpassing the old dwarf fantasy units such as warriors, slayers, thunderers, hammerers and scouts. Do you think it would be viable to substitute these units in an AOS dwarf army? I am specifically talking about the units mentioned not the fyreslayers. 

Thoughts appreciated.

In a casual game discuss with your opponent but it should be fine. Tournaments will say in the rules whether non GW models are allowed (pretty sure GW specific events are GW models only).

The AoW models seem designed pretty obviously to fit in well with official Warhammer stuff aesthetically.

26 minutes ago, swiftmus said:

In a casual game discuss with your opponent but it should be fine. Tournaments will say in the rules whether non GW models are allowed (pretty sure GW specific events are GW models only).

The AoW models seem designed pretty obviously to fit in well with official Warhammer stuff aesthetically.

Yup i don't think i would be that cheeky to go to a GW event with different models! lol. However, i do think this type of competition is essentially to drive the prices of GW down. For instance, you can buy double the amount of hammerers for the same price at AoW and they arguably look better than the GW models. Which confirms my suspicions that if a start company can be charging those rates GW can obviously do it as well. It's the same for the AOS models, no way should i be paying £25 for 5 plastic fyreslayer models or even £35 for 10 vulvite berserkers. It honestly feels a little bit like extorsion! haha. Obviously not though. Sorry don't mean to start off a GW pricing thread i am sure we all know the score by now.

1 hour ago, Arathorn said:

Which confirms my suspicions that if a start company can be charging those rates GW can obviously do it as well. It's the same for the AOS models, no way should i be paying £25 for 5 plastic fyreslayer models or even £35 for 10 vulvite berserkers. It honestly feels a little bit like extorsion! haha. 

AoW produces no magazine, has no headquarters, and if they have stores at all I haven't heard of them.  There's a big difference between a group of people working out of a single building and a multi-national corporation.

I am not sorry for saying GW models appear to be overpriced because of their popularity compared to other miniature companies (or whatever marketing/ pricing structure they follow for whatever reasons), but i was apologising for going down that path although i thought it needed to be said. 

I was just very surprised that i was getting twice the value for money without the quality being lowered. Also,  i am not sure if you noticed but huge multi national companies find it easier to charge lower prices in almost every other sector of the economy.

Anyways , original question was about using AoW models in AOS games ?

2 hours ago, Arathorn said:

Yup i don't think i would be that cheeky to go to a GW event with different models! lol. However, i do think this type of competition is essentially to drive the prices of GW down. For instance, you can buy double the amount of hammerers for the same price at AoW and they arguably look better than the GW models. Which confirms my suspicions that if a start company can be charging those rates GW can obviously do it as well. It's the same for the AOS models, no way should i be paying £25 for 5 plastic fyreslayer models or even £35 for 10 vulvite berserkers. It honestly feels a little bit like extorsion! haha. Obviously not though. Sorry don't mean to start off a GW pricing thread i am sure we all know the score by now.

the quality of AoW models is terrible compared to gw. so much so i nearly threw mine away once they arrived. 

the models in the pictures are of much better quality than the ones they send.

its comparable to failcast.

I have them all. As a dwarf collector they were for use (and fun to have) in 8th and I can tell you all about my experience w/AoW. Heroes look pretty cool in box art but not always so good as metal models compared to GW in any material. Mostly, they were just different and another options. Didn't like many of the GW troops between 6-8th ed. pre-new book release. 

• Bronzeshields & Other similar named unit for generic dwarf warriors, no longer for sale. Used for warriors in an all 3rd party army. Still have them and use if non-GW event (as pretty much, all of what I'm saying here). Being rebased to rounds as they mesh
  • Slayers - at the time way cheaper, different, lots of options. But slimmer than proper GW slayers, don't care for more than half the options, require some work to mesh nicely with other slayers. This value quickly went away as prices rose and box sizes dropped to 12 or 16 models.
  • Rangers - a ****** nightmare to assemble, hands not reaching wrists, horrid mold lines, some weapons unusable, same with packs.
  • Thunderers - most frustrating models ever. Can't even use them. Don't know how these even exist
  • Hammerers - pretty sweet on rounds for AoS. Again, anywhere not a GW-held event. They were 18 months late and I guess worth the wait. Assemble better than their previous two boxes with only 10-15% of models just not lining up at all.

Am I missing any? Heroes are much better. Slayer heroes (3) work out nice,  just consider for army cohesion how you base and paint them. The ranger is ok. Two elite heroes are just a lump of metal and I don't use.

Archived