Stripping minis for the first time

Gitzdee

Hi all. I want to strip some paint of some minis but i have never done this before. All topics i can find that relate to this are like 5 years old so i can imagine that maybe some new products are being used nowadays. So what product should i use to donthis with plastic minis and what are the things that i must be aware of before i ruin my minis? Thanks.

Edited by Iksdee

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, Iksdee said:

Hi all. I want to strip some paint of some minis but i have never done this before. All topics i can find that relate to this are like 5 years old so i can imagine that maybe some new products are being used nowadays. So what product should i use to donthis with plastic minis and what are the things that i must be aware of before i ruin my minis? Thanks.

Hey,

The different products available will vary depending where in the world you are. It will also depend on which minis you are stripping. 

If it's plastic or resin, then my current go to, in the UK, is BioStrip (https://fuze-products.co.uk/product/biostrip-20-paint-stripper/). Should be safe and not soften or damage the plastic or resin. 

For tips, don't leave the stripper on longer than is needed, 30 mins should be fine, then scrub with an old toothbrush. If it's really thick paint, then it may need a second go. 

Once stripped, scrub with some washing up liquid and warm water to get rid of any of the stripper that's left in hard to reach places.

You will also find that the initial undercoat may have stained the plastic, but shouldn't be an issue as once undercoated again you don't notice it. 

I had previously used Dettol but it does smell quite strong and is messy. Specifically it's the ingredients Chloroxylenol and Pine Oil that work, so some cheaper "own brand" versions that look like Dettol don't work. 

I left a FW resin piece in it once for too long, a few days, and it had turned the resin to an almost rubber texture. 

Once you get the hang of stripping, it does open up so many options for buying second hand as you know you can strip and re-paint fairly easily. 

Good luck!

Edited by SunStorm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As many have done personal tests and have given feedback about each of these. I would like to claim support to isopropyl alcohol if it is cheaply accessible.  I've tried everything available to me for plastic stripping, Hard truth is we need more R&D into taking off primers without outright damaging the plastics.

I would not recommend anything above your price threshold out of my own experiences with at least 40 different products in Canada. Usually plastics with a purposely thinned prime should be okay for general paint stripping, but after that point it's mostly just elbow grease scrubbing. 

Whatever works through testing, I use a brush or like friction tools. I highly suggest you test it on different models before you get right into scrubbing the chaotic influence clean  from the host!

• Like 1