AoS 3 - Nighthaunt Discussion

dmorley21

Welp, I'm in the AoS Coach Discord now. Time to lurk a bit.

EDIT: I'm reminded why I don't think Discord is the future people think it is. Everything NH is in one channel. One. Channel. Not a stitch of organization to all that.

Edited by EnixLHQ
  • Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 7:33 PM, EnixLHQ said:

Welp, I'm in the AoS Coach Discord now. Time to lurk a bit.

EDIT: I'm reminded why I don't think Discord is the future people think it is. Everything NH is in one channel. One. Channel. Not a stitch of organization to all that.

There's two Nighthaunt Discords as well - but I agree. It's crazy trying to stay caught up with it. I'm very much a web 2.0 person - give me easy to read blogs and forums any day of the week. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/13/2023 at 3:19 PM, Gitzdee said:

Has anyone ever seen a wild riders kitbash being used as hexwraiths? Wanted to use them as allies to my Sylvaneth but guess thats not happening anymore.

I'm kicking myself for not gettting some to use as Sylvaneth bug riders. But they'd likely make for good Hexwraiths as well. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
21 hours ago, dmorley21 said:

Poor Grimghasts become even less relevant.

Eh, they're still the killier unit among the default battleline, a relevant choice for emerald host in particular (even if narratively they're more tied to hexwraiths).  I don't like how many units are effectively locked down to or locked out of particular subfactions, but that's not something we can even hope to see fixed until a 4th edition book, and even then I'd call it a long shot.

Reapers were always the horde killers. They just need assistance in the form of non-faction hero buffs or command points. Even if you're of the mind that giving Bladegeists and Dreadscythes 2" reach gives you less reason to use Reapers, you weren't using them anyway because of that dependence on those buffs, our subfactions not favoring them, and the meta not requiring them. They've always had that reach, can fight in two ranks, and reach over the top of Chainrasps, but most tourney lists didn't include them despite that. So, nothing really changed.

It's a buff for Scarlet Doom, sure, but that faction has always been about eliminating threats on our turn. SD's power wanes over the course of a game, so if you didn't win in turn 1-2, you aren't winning in 3+. All this buff does is make Bladegeists a better pick in non-SD builds; as you now have a 3/3 wandering kill unit you don't have to spend a ton of resources propping up.

Emerald Host is the opposite. All about getting objectives early and screening out, wasting away key enemy units over time. You see Hexwraiths in this subfaction a lot, not because they are getting buffed, they're not, but because the Emerald Curse will do the damage for you while you use fast units to attack a backline or form screens. Reapers didn't fit into that style, but Bladegeists did, and now they have more of a reason to be picked when not battleline.

Wards are huge right now, so this change is really the biggest buff to Quicksilver. Removing wards as an option for the enemy with a relatively cost-efficient unit that self-buffs and self-defends that can now fight in two ranks? Harridans stick around a bit longer than most units, so now you're not slow-playing by building a list around them. In other words, our best meta pick is now actually playable in a meta tournament.

Glaivewraiths...I don't want to ignore them, but this change is barely beneficial. You won't invest in these guys enough to make their weapon range a factor.

• 2 weeks later...

So far, it seems to be Scarlet Doom lists that going 4-1 at tourneys since this change. Making Bladegheists more killy just means they’re able to eliminate whatever they touch. The Mannfred RoR also seems popular, as it should be.