AoS 3rd - Idoneth Deepkin discussion

HollowHills

@Cyna   The hero choices are really up to you.  I have been playing with a tidecaster so I can use two rituals.   Lotan is awesome for his +1 to wound bubble on everything including mounts but I suspect that it’ll be faq’ed to match the rest of the army.   I think 20 thralls will do work for you.  The damage output of those dudes is amazing.  I’m excited to get my 50 back so I can get them on the table 

1 hour ago, Derek said:

@Cyna   The hero choices are really up to you.  I have been playing with a tidecaster so I can use two rituals.   Lotan is awesome for his +1 to wound bubble on everything including mounts but I suspect that it’ll be faq’ed to match the rest of the army.   I think 20 thralls will do work for you.  The damage output of those dudes is amazing.  I’m excited to get my 50 back so I can get them on the table 

Now I am thinking to make something like this: 

• Akhelian King
  • Akhelian Thrallmaster
  • Isharann Tidecaster
  • Lotann, Warden of the Soul Ledgers
  • 3x Akhelian Allopexes
  • 6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard
  • 10 x Namarti Reavers
  • 20 x Namarti Thralls

• Like 1

Army Faction: Idoneth Deepkin
    - Army Subfaction: Dhom-Hain
    - Grand Strategy: Hold the Line
    - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Akhelian Thrallmaster (110)*

Akhelian Thrallmaster (110)*

Isharann Tidecaster (150)*
    - Artefacts: Rune of the Surging Gloomtide
    - Spells: Arcane Corrasion

Akhelian King (250)**
    - General
    - Command Traits: Unstoppable Fury
    - Bladed Polearm and Falchion
    - Artefacts: Armour of the Cythai
    - Mount Traits: Voidchill Darkness

BATTLELINE

Namarti Thralls (130)**

Namarti Thralls (130)**

Namarti Thralls (130)**

2 x Namarti Thralls (390)***

Namarti Thralls (130)***

ENDLESS SPELL

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

TERRAIN

Gloomtide Shipwreck (0)

OTHER

Akhelian Allopexes (165)**
    - Razorshell Harpoon Launcher, Barbed Hooks and Blades

Akhelian Allopexes (165)**

CORE BATTALIONS:

*Command Entourage

**Battle Regiment

***Hunters of the Heartlands

TOTAL POINTS: (1920/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

I’m thinking this list will play fairly well.  60 thralls 2 sharks and using the rituals for a 5+ ward on the thralls and then 2 thrall masters for the exploding 6’s and reroll 1’s to hit or exploding 6’s and -1 to wound.  

Please give us some reports how it went,

Problems I would anticipate with this list:

- You often won't get your Thralls into the engagements (or at times objectives) you want and will be caught up in your opponents screens.
- The more you (have to) spread out the harder it will become to keep multiple Thrall units in the buff-bubbles
- Also the more you spread out the more different units will be eligible for shooting, spells and other effects and the Thralls will crumble quickly. 

We pretty much have to include some Namarti into our lists to get bodies on the table but I don't think going that heavy in infantry isn't the way to go. I tried it once and hat no fun at all. 

13 hours ago, Cyna said:

Now I am thinking to make something like this: 

• Akhelian King
  • Akhelian Thrallmaster
  • Isharann Tidecaster
  • Lotann, Warden of the Soul Ledgers
  • 3x Akhelian Allopexes
  • 6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard
  • 10 x Namarti Reavers
  • 20 x Namarti Thralls

Very similar to what I think I'll try but swap a shark for another unit of Reavers.

I'm also keen to try the Soulrenderer to back up the Thralls.

1 hour ago, wolyhammer said:

Very similar to what I think I'll try but swap a shark for another unit of Reavers.

I'm also keen to try the Soulrenderer to back up the Thralls.

I'm also thinking about swapping sharks for Reavers

trying to work on a list with as many buff's/debuffs as possible  here's what I've got to so far

Spoiler

- Army Faction: Idoneth Deepkin
- Subfaction: Dhom-Hain

LEADERS
Akhelian Thrallmaster (110)**

Isharann Soulrender (120)**
- Artefacts of Power: Brain Barnacles

Eidolon of Mathlann Aspect of the Sea (325)**
- General
- Command Traits: Endless Sea Storm
- Artefacts of Power: Bio-shock Shell
- Spells: Arcane Corrasion

Akhelian King (250)**

- mount trait: voidchill darkness

Lotann (115)**
BATTLELINE
Namarti Thralls (130)*
Namarti Thralls (260)*
Namarti Reavers (170)**

BEHEMOTH
Akhelian Leviadon (500)

-Mount trait – reverberating carapace

TERRAIN
1 x Gloomtide Shipwreck (0)

CORE BATTALIONS
-  *Hunters of the Heartlands
-  **Warlord
TOTAL POINTS: 1980/2000

can anyone think of any tips to tweak this was considering dropping the reavers to take it up to 2 units of 20 thralls but not fully decided yet, list did well against a paladin and annihalator heavy alpha strike stormcast list earlier this week, but its up against nurgle this weekend so could be an interesting test for it

On 3/30/2022 at 7:04 AM, woolf said:

the rule is u can only shoot the closest so my answer would be no you cant split. it becomes a question of precision in measuring, ie if u could measure (for sake of argument) on atom lvl, its extremely unlikely they would be equal distance. in practice if they are close enough to be hard to tell, I would offer my opponent to choose which one but not both.

the wording is "can only be picked as the target of a shooting attack if they are the closest target to the attacking model" so if its a unit of 10 models shooting and half are closer to one unit and the other half are closer to a different unit they have to split their attacks and cannot pick one unit over the other as the wording specifies the attacking model.

@DocKeule  I won’t be able to play this exact list in the near future but I have a fuethan shark heavy list coming down the pipeline ready to run into a couple different armies shortly.  The first opponent I’ll have is a KO or a big waagh army.   Then the second will be a nurgle army with the glottkin and a couple other things.  After that it’s against stormcast lumineth or legion of the first prince and maybe a fly spam nurgle army.   This will be over several weeks but I’m hoping that with the various unit options I have I’ll get to keep my lists fresh.  Eventually I want to get one of my opponent’s to play my seraphon army and let me actually see how much of a pain it is to face thunderlizards 

5 hours ago, undeadheadz said:

the wording is "can only be picked as the target of a shooting attack if they are the closest target to the attacking model" so if its a unit of 10 models shooting and half are closer to one unit and the other half are closer to a different unit they have to split their attacks and cannot pick one unit over the other as the wording specifies the attacking model.

I imagine a unit of maybe 30 Sentinels surrounded by IDK and you check for every model which unit is closer…

Thanks GW for overcomplicating a simple rule 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Haha 1

I don’t think it’ll be a problem rule hasn’t changed between the first book and this one.   Don’t make the tactical error like I did and present your opponent with a second unit to shoot and it should be fine. 

Edited by Derek

Does anyone get the feeling a list was meant to be when it makes 2k exactly.

I was just plugging some units into the Warscroll builder for possible purchase ideas and this came out.

Akhelian King (250)
- General
- Bladed Polearm
Isharann Tidecaster (150)
Isharann Soulscryer (150)
6 x Akhelian Morrsarr Guard (390)
10 x Namarti Reavers (170)
10 x Namarti Reavers (170)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (195)
3 x Akhelian Ishlaen Guard (195)
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (165)
1 x Akhelian Allopexes (165)

Total: 2000 / 2000

might not be enough hitting power if your opponent gets the jump on your units. Could run two units of 6 Morsarr Guard?

Any thoughts?

Have a question re Mount Traits. Its says the following: "You can pick 1 Deepmare and 1 Leviadon in you army to have 1 of the following mount traits" Does this mean, that I can take two mount traits without getting an additional enhancement?? I.e. Both Aphelion King and Leviadon each are getting mount traits?? 

No the battletome over rides the core rules as it’s the most recent publication.  If you wanted a 3rd mount trait either for a second king or a second leviadon you would need to take a battalion that would unlock the optional enhancement.    

• Like 2

On 4/3/2022 at 4:29 AM, Derek said:

No the battletome over rides the core rules as it’s the most recent publication.  If you wanted a 3rd mount trait either for a second king or a second leviadon you would need to take a battalion that would unlock the optional enhancement.    

Wait, really? If so I'm gonna blame the lack of free mount trait on my Leviadon is why I went 1-4 in a tournament a week ago. 😅

So I have this new list idea 9 sharks 

Army Faction: Idoneth Deepkin
    - Army Subfaction: Fuethán
    - Triumphs: Inspired

LEADER

Akhelian King (250)
    - General
    - Command Traits: Unstoppable Fury
    - Artefacts: Armour of the Cythai
    - Mount Traits: Voidchill Darkness

Isharann Tidecaster (150)
    - Spells: Ghost-mist

BATTLELINE

Akhelian Allopexes (Bloodthirsty Shiver) (165)

2 x Akhelian Allopexes (495)

ENDLESS SPELL

Emerald Lifeswarm (60)

TOTAL POINTS: (1945/2000)

Created with Warhammer Age of Sigmar: The App

@Derek literally played this list last week except minus lifeswarm and plus lotann for an even 2k. It's ok but I'm of the opinion that deepkin need to be a one drop army. Making it 2x3 sharks and 1 shiver lets you do that but you lose out on board presence. If you're not a one drop, you risk being doubled and that's usually game ending for deepkin, in my experience. In fact, that's why I lost the game in which I used the 9 sharks. 

A similar, but likely more competitive shark-centric list would be something like:

Blender King

Lotann

Soulrender

2x2 sharks

single shark

20 reavers

2 stormdrake guard with lances

1990 points 

This list is a one drop, has 40 reaver equivalents of shooting (versus the 9 shark list having 36), has much more control over priority order, which is VITAL for IDK, and also has 2 SDG to provide mortal wounds and all the good stuff they do. Alternatively, you can swap the SDG for 2 additional sharks, making the configuration 3 shark, 2 shark, 2x1 shark, and 20 reavers. That gives you backfield presence, an excellent turn 1 screen, 48!!! reaver equivalents of shooting, and some decent hammers.  

@vinnyt  still lacking lotann and the foot infantry.   But I hear what you’re saying.  I was getting the impression that going first wasn’t an absolute priority for this army since you have so many ways to basically counter things like a shooting alpha strike.   Currently I’d be sitting at a 2 drop if I went double battle regiment or a 3 drop if I did something like battle regiment and hunters of the heartlands.    And I know everyone likes the dragons but I’m getting the feeling we’re about to get a new battlescroll or whatever it’s called in the coming weeks and don’t think they’re going to be as appealing anymore.  Plus if I take the dragons I give my local community the idea that I’m meta chasing lol.