Do we need the new Core Rule Book AND the General's Handbook 2021?

Depends what you want to do. Technically the Core Book doesn’t have the Battleplans, or the Realm Rules and what not. 

On the other hand the GH doesn’t have the non Ghur Core Battalions from what I saw, doesn’t have any info for games that aren’t either 1000 or 2000 points (so no tables with all the different restrictions) nor any of the “casual” stuff like the campaign system which looks awesome. 

If you want it all, you need both. If you are focused on just one aspect then likely the one holding that will do. Both have the Core rules, the new Endless Spells (I think… actually Core book might not) and whatnot. But they are different for different types of play. So some overlap, but not a lot. 

Edited by Lurynsar
  • Thanks 1

There's nothing in the core rulebook that you need for matched play - there are 3 matched play missions, but nobody is going to run those, so whatever. 

The only thing in the core rulebook you might want is the path to glory rules if you're into that. Otherwise, there is no reason to buy it. 

44 minutes ago, yukishiro1 said:

There's nothing in the core rulebook that you need for matched play - there are 3 matched play missions, but nobody is going to run those, so whatever. 

The only thing in the core rulebook you might want is the path to glory rules if you're into that. Otherwise, there is no reason to buy it. 

I'm really enjoying the art and lore, so for me at least there's plenty of reasons to buy it.

If you want to play only matched play, absolutely everything you need to play is in the GHB. When you played a matched play game you pick a "battle pack" and you draw all the resources you need (grand strategies, battle tactics, battleplans, etc etc) from it. The "battlepack" inside the GHB and contains everything you need to play matched play, as well as the core rules. Unless you want to read the lore, play open & narrative play or want to enjoy the amazing artwork you don't need the core rule book in anyway to play matched play or attend tournaments.