Khorne/StD calvalry list help wanted

CrimsonKing

Thanks for clicking this! Returning player asking advice on Khorne/Std Calvalry list going into 3.0

Haven't played AoS since 1st ed. Have oldhammer khorne stuff. I've also stashed away new khornate stuff I imagined for a kickass mounted/fast AoS force, but never sounded viable: Khorne monsters/ bloodcrushers/ skullcrushers, Std chariots/chaos knights. Elements I have either completed or boxed awaiting the day its worth building:

Bloodthister of insensate rage

DP of khorne

kharnak

khorne herald on juggernaught

Bloodsecrator & Slaughterpriest

5 bloodcrushers

5 skullcrushers

5 fleshhounds

2 khorgoraths

Chaos Lord on Karkadrak

10 knights (5/5 swords/lance) (still square bases)

gorebeast chariot (still square base)

Cygor/Ghorgon & 30 gors

Models I'd entertain purchasing if they should be reinforced, guessing ill need at least 9 skullcrushers do do this properly for the formation.

- more of any above cavalry/hounds

- marauder horsemen

- Skull Cannon of Khorne (or proxy my old metal hellcannon)

Thinking about 1000/1500 lists; Are formations a must, decent selection for beer&pretzels without being steamrolled etc

Thanks!

Edited by CrimsonKing
shorter/title

• CrimsonKing changed the title to Khorne/StD calvalry list help wanted

My apologies if soliciting vague help is not really kosher, I've gotten ahold of the rulebooks and with some generalized knowledge of Khorne/Beasts/Std have come up with a few possible lists, keeping strongly with the mounted aspect:

2000 pts Khorne Army (1 behemoth, 3 leaders, 5 battleline, 1 artillery)

Brass Stampede

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (general)

3 Mighty Skullcrushers w/ Bloodglaves

Karanak

5 Flesh Hounds

5 Flesh Hounds

Skull Cannon

Lord on Karkadrak, Khorne

5 Chaos Knights w/ Ensorcelled Weapons, Khorne

1 Gorebeast Chariot , Khorne

1 spawn, Khorne

Alternatively could drop some chaff (cannon, brass stampede) to take Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage. Should I be worried there is no bloodsecrator or bloodstoker? What should I expect to do for relics, perhaps put rend+1 /+1 attack/reroll relic on bloodthirster?

1490 Khorne army (5 battleline, 1 character, 1 artillery)

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (general)

5 Flesh Hounds

5 Flesh Hounds

2 Khorgoraths

Skull Cannon

Also considering points updates are coming, I suppose it throws it all into question so I get partly whats up is uncertainty. Typically the warscroll stats don't change so is there something role-wise I should add or drop? Do I need more chaff, monster killers, etc?

Like you said, things are a bit up in the air these days so it's difficult to pin down what will be good or not in the upcoming edition. Normally I would have said khorne really runs on slaughterpriests and buff units, but with the changes to priests and the addition of the improved command abilities I'm not so sure they're needed anymore.

I can say for sure that if you're aiming for matched play then brass stampede is not an option. Otherwise your lists look solid enough. Skull crushers should be extremely annoying to deal with for your opponent if you're using all out defense, and they should be able to hold objectives fairly well. I'd definitely consider throwing in the bloodthirster as I think you'll have trouble cracking heavier armor or bigger units without it. I think in the 2k list you could probably drop karanak (nice but a bit too expensive right now) and the skull cannon (really too dicey if you take only one, but has potential if you were willing to lean into it and run three) for more bodies in the list. 

For artifacts you'll have to decide what you want to do for sub faction as they'll dictate what you take first. Goretide is pretty good and will help all the mortals a bit. The artifacts is great on the Lord on karkadrak so that's easy. If you run the command battalion for another one I would look for whatever buffs the insensate thirster best as he'll be your hammer, but I don't have my book on me right now to offer a suggestion. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks yes I'm still in the air as a new player about artefacts, command traits etc. Like you said Goretribe looks good for mortals and without battalions I'd be auto-taking the artefact that ignores mods to save rolls

Yes I was considering that with brass stampede seeming lackluster I'd drop that, and thus the need for 3x3 skullcrushers. If all my personal deals go through I can get to 12 and run 2x6 units, then 1x10 knights for less drops. Besides Brass Stampede I don't see any battalions that don't significantly alter the army selection so might play without (can I pay for more artefacts otherwise)? If I'm feeling cheeky would drop the chariot for a Ghorgon ally (in my NIB pile)

1970 pts Khorne Army, Goretide (1 behemoth, 3 leaders, 4 battleline)

Lord of Khorne on Juggernaut (general, trait: Hew The Foe)

6 Mighty Skullcrushers w/ Bloodglaves

6 Mighty Skullcrushers w/ Bloodglaves

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage

5 Flesh Hounds

5 Flesh Hounds

Lord on Karkadrak, Khorne, (artefact: Thronebreaker's Torc)

10 Chaos Knights w/ Ensorcelled Weapons, Khorne

1 Gorebeast Chariot , Khorne

So just so you know the reason I said that the brass stampede wasn't an option is GW has removed warscroll battalions from matched play in the upcoming version. They're still allowed in Narrative or Open play, or for that matter they should be fine in any friendly game, but for matched play GW has replaced them with what they call core battalions. They're much more generic than the warscroll ones and their benefits are generally much smaller, but they don't cost any points. The new 3.0 rules are available for free to download here if you haven't seen them:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/fZD0X060Qn7ZO0EE.pdf

On page 35 of the PDF (section 26.3) you can see the new core battalions. The reason I bring them up is you can actually take a Battle Regiment battalion to get everything in it dropped at once, so hopefully you won't need to combine your units too much to cut down on drops. That's particularly important because the new coherency rules make it much more difficult to run skullcrushers as units of 6, and the same goes for chaos knights in units of 10. If you keep your units split  for 4 skullcrushers and 2 knights you should be able to easily fit your army into two Battle Regiments for a 2 drop army, or tinker around with the other ones like the Warlord battalion to give yourself that extra artifact you're looking for. Of course the points of your models aren't guaranteed either. There are rumors that everything is going to get a 10-15% points increase with the new generals handbook coming out at the beginning of July, so your army might end up being a bit smaller. 

• Like 1

Thanks again for putting the time in; I will definitely check over all the new rules and take the new battalion structure into consideration. As for points definitely wont be playing before July so will see then how the points shake out. Ill leave the thread at that.

Happy for the battalion changes, reminds me of 7th 40k where me and my friends had a gentleman's agreement not to use the formations, and glad those were dropped. but I digress.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just saw your thread. Have you got into some games and gathered some expecience?

From what I see so far Mighty Skullcrushers are great for taking some objectives that are not too heavy guarded. 3 count as 6 for scoring and can do enough damage to light objective holders (1 wound units with a 5+/6+ save and rather low offensive capabilities) to get the controll of them. With all out defense/brazen flesh they get a solid 2+ save. 

The bloodthirster of Insensate rage is also a must-pick in my opinion. Althrough it is only a chance to get his splatter damage, when you get a trigger it is worth it. With heroic and monstrous actions you get also some utility here. 

Chaos Knights...well, I haven't tried them in this edition yet. They still sound solid, are relatively fast and bring many wounds + a save from mortals. I don't know if enscrolled weapons are contested right now by lances or if they are still the superior pick. 

The DP is also a great pick as it can really mess with your opponent with the command ability. Failed charges mean also no contesting/slingshotting on to objectives.

Thanks for the replies!

Made the thread when I rejoined forums at start of 3.0. These forums seem focused on single strat threads so been active there. Also blogging my army build.

Only done some singleplayer tests, though the consensus in strat thread agrees on skullcrushers, so satisfied moving forward with this 'dream project' of massed cavalry.

Ill try out the knights next time I do tests and honestly didn't look too hard at DP. I  am intrigued by their half-move ability, has some utility where my crusher charges are important, definitely my second choice for monster now.