Tips/Ideas for Thematically Unifying a Diverse Army?

I'm working on building a Grand Alliance Chaos army from across many different factions.  I'm trying to figure out how to tie all my units together thematically while still letting their character from their individual factions show through.  Narratively speaking, this is a grand alliance from many smaller armies flocking together under the banner of champions that have decided to join forces.  I'm not sure how I want to pull this off though.  One idea I have is to give the whole army one uniform color while letting individual parts have their own colors (I.E  Everyone might wear black armor, but a unit dedicated to Khorne might keep one of their shoulder pad brass or red).  I was wondering if perhaps you guys had any other tips or ideas?

Here come a duh answer, but basing. Make your basing in such a way that it helps tell the story if that narrative. Have they banded together to battle across a frozen wasteland? Invading a city? The more characterful and consistant your bassing is the more it will help tie the army together. You could also give them some kind of 'campaign markings', maybe they are all carrying the lord they follow's sigil on their banners, or maybe the all bear that leader's mark somehow. Think if the white hand on all the Orcs in The Two Towers for example.

The big one I would say is picking some common colours - like you say, one might be key but don't force it - far better to have a shared pallet to pick from. Not all the same but some key ones. For example in my destruction force, two key colours are red and a beigey cloth colour - my ogors also add in a few other colours such as blue whilst my grots add in a few of their own in the grey they use. So I guess I would call this 'colour overlap'. Hope that makes sense?

In your chaos example, perhaps the beastmen carry a mix of red and brown shields with beige loincloths, whilst your warriors could include red and bronze armour and the marauders have the same cloth colour as the beasts but also borrow some colours from the warriors? Etc etc...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Also bear in mind - your warriorrs might be quite 'uniform' in the colours eg all red or all black shoelds but perhaps beastmen and marauders use the colours more randomly. One has a red hood one might have a red loincloth, some might have no red at all! But as a unit it has red as a key colour. If you catch my drift?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Including some common element (like a symbol of the general) as a part of the banners (it could be a small part, think the way medieval banners often had quartered sets of symbols or like the Australian flag has the British flag in the corner). Overlapping some common colours as mentioned would work too.

Even little details like doing wooden pieces (weapon handles, flag poles etc) in the same shades of brown will help tie everything together too.

I have about 30,000pts of assorted Chaos in old money, and I've found that basing makes a huge difference. Spot colours aren't so important (Chaos is chaotic after all!), but taking a consistant approach to painting universal features like leather,  flesh, bone and steel will keep your army feeling like it belongs together. Also, varying schemes within a faction will make it look like a collection of warband rather than one army jammed together.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in exactly the same boat as you.

I mostly echo the advice given above regarding icons, bases etc.

I've spent an age planning a minimal colour scheme that can be used across all four gods, my solution - black, (off) white, silver and gold used throughout to tie things together. Then red and turquoise as my only two colours. For Khorne, red (Crimson) dominates, turquoise is a spot colour. For Tzeentch the opposite. Use pastel shades of both for Slaanesh. Nurgle uses each in similar amounts. All flesh will be the same pale hue, even on some of the daemons.

I hope that helps. I initially went with red and yellow, but it was just a bit too vibrant for my tastes.

I recommend using a few push fit chaos warriors as testers, quick and (relatively) cheap.

Please post up a few of your models when you've settled on a scheme.

MGP

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived