Playing for the double turn

Simon1971

You can't really maximise the chance that well except with a few unique abilities. It's more about anticipating what to do if either you or your opponent do get the double turn.

Having more units in battalions/less deployment drops at the start of the game and choosing to go second. [emoji6]

This is a good point. You can pretty much get an army to deploy in one drop to ensure you choose.

Check out my brief blog post on it:

http://thejabbertzeentch.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/double-turn-tactics.html?m=1

6 minutes ago, Nico said:

Virtually any Sylvaneth army is going to be a single drop.

Yep. With all new Battletomes containing at least a couple of Space Marine chapter style mega-battalions, eventually all single allegiance forces are going to be able to deploy in a single drop if they want to. Placing units at the start of the game will be like playing chicken to see who chooses to take first turn or not.

I think that playing to mitigate an possible opponent's double turn is wise. Essentially don't fall into the 'I go, you go' mindset, you may get stung. I'm not experienced enough to give you specific tips, but after playing a ton of Bolt Action which can provide a similar experience, you need to be prepared for anything.

So, when tournament reports talk about playing for the double turn, is is more playing themselves into the best possible position in preparation for a double turn that might or might not come?

Basically yes.

When you're due a double turn you can play more offensive.

When your opponent is due the double turn you should play more defensive.

Archived