Moving and Looking for Transportation Advice

Sorry in advance if this topic has come up, but all I can find through almighty google is hypotheticals and imprecise advice.

Okay, so, I recently got into a university for a postgrad program (yay!) in another country (yay!) and now I need to figure out how to transport a bunch of stuff including my miniatures (...yay?). My big concern at the moment is my Lumineth Wardens and their spears, though my Arkhan and Nagash are also likely candidates to break into little bits. I’m thinking of doing some shopping of things like skeletons since they’re pretty sturdy, but the other models have me a bit nervous.

Anyone have any experience with moving like this? I’d like to take at least one army (preferably two: Legions of Nagash and Lumineth), but I may just have to store some and slowly trickle them over as I take vacations to visit friends and family.

Edited by AnarchMage

I can't comment on moving to a different country. But I've moved three times in the last two years, I got a bunch of cardboard boxes for packing stuff (they are called "Umzugskartons" here in Germany). I lined the bottom of these with bunched up newspaper and then layered my minis. Heavy or big things like Imperial Knights, my Ironclad, Mortis Engine etc. go on the bottom. Then I put a layer of filling material on top and added more minis. Repeat until the box is reasonably full. I can report that almost all my minis managed to survive those three movings without damage. Even the fiddly Skeleton Warriors!

It's a cheap option and it doesn't take a lot of space so that you can still fit other things into your moving van. Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Causalis said:

I can't comment on moving to a different country. But I've moved three times in the last two years, I got a bunch of cardboard boxes for packing stuff (they are called "Umzugskartons" here in Germany). I lined the bottom of these with bunched up newspaper and then layered my minis. Heavy or big things like Imperial Knights, my Ironclad, Mortis Engine etc. go on the bottom. Then I put a layer of filling material on top and added more minis. Repeat until the box is reasonably full. I can report that almost all my minis managed to survive those three movings without damage. Even the fiddly Skeleton Warriors!

It's a cheap option and it doesn't take a lot of space so that you can still fit other things into your moving van. Hope this helps!

I’ll have to consider this. I’m going to have to cross an ocean, but this might be good so long as I do a good mail service. Or take it in my hard case luggage, as I’m increasingly suspecting I may need to do.

18 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

If you dont mind spending a few bucks look into crystal fortress casing. 

I have before. They always looked a bit fragile, but they hold up well? 

If you care less about style, just get a metallic tool box without any inserts! Some of them are tall enough to fit Nagash and other large models (plus a huge army of smaller models) inside without costing a lot. You can also use the sides/walls to mount smaller models with no problem hence you get a LOT of free estate. Might even hold two armies, depending on how many models you use. For reference: I traveled with two LoCs, a ton of horrors, a Soc Lord on manticore, flamers, Enlightened, a Vortex Beast, Enlightened, Karics and a couple of smaller heroes and had no problem fitting all of them into it. That was a bit above 3k points.

Two drawbacks are that those toolboxes are a bit heavier than other bags and obviously you'd have to glue magnets onto your models, but it's by far the best solution I've tried yet. Plus you don't look like a nerd but a sexy handyman! xD So if you don't walk to your games but can use public transportation or a car, you're absolutely golden.

• Thanks 1

So I moved countries in the last 6 months and moved a decent amount of mine and my wife's warhammer over. We didn't have anything as big as Nagash to pack mind but we got everything back without a hitch including a lady olynder, Volturnos, drycha, couple of seraphon dinosaurs, plus plenty of smaller minis. We bought a few kr multicase boxes and stored the models in there, for the big models we'd  create a big space in the foam for them to fit into them layer the excess foam back in to fill the gaps around the models. These boxes then went inside proper chemical treated super hard wearing moving boxes and the shipping company took them from there although are original plan was to put the boxes into their own moving crste/container but they were all booked out when we did it. Happy to answer any more questions if you need. 

• Thanks 1