Spell Eater Curse vs TECLIS

Perturbato

Question

Spelleater Curse

Beneath Khorne’s hateful gaze, even the most experienced of spellcasters feel their powers wane.

Choose this reward immediately after a WIZARD has cast a spell anywhere on the battlefield, before any attempts to unbind that spell are made. That spell is not successfully cast.

VS

Archmage: When Teclis concentrates deeply enough, not even the most powerful wizards in the Mortal Realms can unbind his spells.

At the start of your hero phase, you must say if this model will cast 1 spell, 2 spells or up to 4 spells. If this model will cast 1 spell, when it attempts to cast that spell, it is automatically cast with a casting roll of 12 that cannot be modified (do not roll 2D6) and it cannot be unbound.

========> so the spelleater curse cancel the cast of Teclis anyway because it is not successfully cast is that right ?

6 answers to this question

Well, Spell Eater says : "after the spell is cast (Teclis autocast) then the spell is not successfully cast". If you ask me i will go this way but i'm not objective as i'm playing the khorne army here. If i have a way to kick that ****** Aelve in the nuts i'm using it. But i need confirmation from other people because i don't know if i'm right .. i'm sure when they wrote the rule on Teclis they didn't remember the old pal Khorne because i'm pretty sure they wanted Teclis to be able to cast his spell in god mode like the rest of his army.

• Like 1

Yeah, automatically cast just means successfully cast, but automatically without having to roll for it as normal.  As the Spell Eater Curse is not an unbinding, just a changing of the successfulness of the casting, that's a greater god shutting down a lesser god.  

This is as opposed the Knight-Incantor's Voidstorm Scroll, which is an automatic unbinding.  So that type of thing would not work on spells that 'cannot be unbound'.

On 4/6/2021 at 6:23 PM, Joseph Mackay said:

I’d argue that if Teclis only casts 1 spell (auto cast on 12, can’t be unbound) then the Spell Eater Curse doesn’t work

Spell Eater Curse does not unbind a spell.  It makes it so the spell is not successfully cast.  Auto cast just means successfully cast without rolling for it, counting as 12 in that Teclis case.  So the Spell Eater Curse does negate Teclis' super ability there.