Non-legion Ossiarch builds

warhammernerd

I think this is probably dead in the water,  but I enjoy the challenge so entertain me if you will and lend me your ears and ideas. 

Now that you no longer have to feel like your always THAT guy for running petrifex and the design space has opened up in terms of other legions, I've been looking at and wondering about some of the lesser used command abilities and artefacts. I'm guessing most of these get missed on account of batallions not always being a go-to option for OBR cos of points and reasons. The legions are undeniably good with some of the associated command / artefacts (even for petrifex) being sick af, not to mention the sub-faction army wide traits. 

So, with that said. What are peoples builds, if any outside of the legions? Are there any artefacts / command abilities such as Feast Day for FEC which are strong enough so as to not make you feel like your are hamstringing yourself by taking them. Feast day, being one example which has over time become a stealth powerhouse build its own right, despite missing out on Blisterkin or Gristlegore nastiness. 

Another part of this interest is the fact I started collecting OBR at the start of the pandemic, but sadly for a whole host of reasons havent actually built any of it yet... you might call it shrink wrap shame, but I like to think of more as a post-lockdown reward. Anyway, TTS is scratching the itch for now and I was interested in seeing if there was any left of field builds which people have been toting?  Mindblade for example, seems dope. But perhaps it's not one to build a force around. 

Anywhoo. Much love. A 

tenor.png

3 hours ago, warhammernerd said:

despite missing out on Blisterkin or Gristlegore nastiness. 

Sorry, off topic, but feast day is almost the petrifex of fec... whenever I explained it, the answer was like: for free? In my turn and yours? That’s like 8-10 CP!!! More than one unit with extra CP? 
And with all the things, I never realized the potential of the hollowmourne smashbat. (Fec is still a very nice Book)

I've looked into the options for non-legion OBR before, but I think there's just nothing there. I'm not even talking about going non-legion being weaker than taking a legion (although it is), but there is not really even any fun jank to be found in the non-legion options.

The big thing you would get from going non-legion is a command trait. All the command traits for Liege-Kavaloi are minor self-buffs, so that's not really worth considering. Mortisan traits are a bit more interesting, but it's all stuff you could do in other ways, as well. And most of the time, better. There is just no hidden gem in the vein of Feast Day there. There is not even really stuff that makes you go "Oh, that's kinda neat!", like you can find in Legions of Nagash sometimes for example. No +1 attack bubble for Deathrattle or 3" hero phase move.

Artefacts are in the same boat. Mostly minor self-buffs you don't mind missing out on. I think the Mind Blade is the stand-out, because the effect is really cool (opponent loses a command point and a hero can't use command abilities for the rest of the battle), but it's just a real gamble to take, since it's so hard to get it to trigger (need to roll a 6 to hit against a hero). It also looks a bit better than it really is, because a if you just kill the hero instead, they also can't use command abilities anymore.

Overall, I think if I wanted to go for a fun build in OBR, I'd just go Crematorians or Stalliarch Lords.

I'd say there could be a case for it especially in smaller games, not everyone plays 2k matched play all the time. For example in a 1000 point game, RDP is very limited and in that case going without a legion and taking a kavalos with ancient knowledge (+1 RDP/round) and the Helm of the Ordained (+1 hit 12" bubble) could be quite good. Normally an artifact with a 12" +1 hit bubble would be considered amazing, it is only not considered as much because most competitive builds atm use Katakros for the +1 hit command. You could also make a liege a wizard with the dark acolyte trait. Again this is probably mostly for smaller point games, but worth considering there.

I would also consider this in a Nagash list, as you really need to make him count and can be RDP starved, grabbing a liege with the +1 RDP and the helm of the ordained to provide the +1 hit 12" bubble is super useful and a great buddy next to Nagash, as Nagash is 3s to hit on all his attacks and ranged shot and you dont really want to get -1 to cast by using a bone tithe shrieker with him.

Something like this might be fun:

Allegiance: Ossiarch Bonereapers
- Legion: None
Nagash, Supreme Lord of the Undead (880)
Liege-Kavalos (200)
- General
- Command Trait: Ancient Knowledge
- Artefact: Helm of the Ordained
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
- Nadirite Blade and Shield
20 x Mortek Guard (260)
5 x Kavalos Deathriders (180)
3 x Immortis Guard (180)

Total: 1960 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 90

Petrifex is still very useful out of the box, if you want to run anything else than Katakros and Mortek Guard spam, getting those reoll 1s to save in combat is good and bludgeon for +1 rend is really powerful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scurvydog said:

getting those reoll 1s to save in combat

I don’t play obr, but doesn’t Nagash do that with his CA? Kinda for free, because you‘ll get a CP as per base rule, which is useless for OBR except Arkhan and Naggi... or was that loophole fixed?

53 minutes ago, Honk said:

I don’t play obr, but doesn’t Nagash do that with his CA? Kinda for free, because you‘ll get a CP as per base rule, which is useless for OBR except Arkhan and Naggi... or was that loophole fixed?

Yea that part was really just a final general comment and not aimed at the Nagash list above as that was without running a legion or battalion in order to get the +1 hit artifact. The Nagash version is still better though as that works against shooting, the petrifex one does not, so is entirely pointless unless you really need to save that 1 RDP and not use the Nagash command... however the reroll 1s to hit is important there too, so probably never worth it, the +1 rend command is good though but Nagash lists tend to lack RDP to use all the +move and shield walls etc you also want to do.

My non legion list aimed to fix some of the issues with Nagash currently, it badly lacks a spell portal in that list though, which could be fixed by replacing the riders with 10 mortek. The Immortis are there to help Nagash play more aggressively, with his attack profile and +1 hit and reroll 1s, he will do some work in combat, with the Immortis guard protecting him and the liege from going down to alphas/archers/boats turn 1

• LOVE IT! 1