Let's Chat: Free Peoples

MrCharisma

42 minutes ago, The Nameless One said:

Personally, I play it that it doesn't. A counter-charge isn't a charge going by the letter, but I can see the argument. Unless something clear cut, I'd always play the way with the least contention.

I also think it does not affect counter-charge. It has a different name and also it has other rules than a normal charge. It would have been nice though!

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are the two battalion focused lists I'm looking at using. The difference is all in the hero setup. 

Griffon General Build 

And

Collegiate Build

I think I prefer the second list for the extra hero and the greater mortal wound output.

Im curious to see how the MSU style guard units perform.

In the collegiate build the luminark with the 3 long rifles can put down 12 damage at 30" plus the possible mortal would output from the collective mages. I'd even consider running a bloody fire mage... 

23 hours ago, Origin said:

@MrCharisma I'm curious to know how you get the counter charge mechanic to work with your free guild guard.

The way I read the counter charge rule is that it works like a charge, so units have to get within 1/2" of an enemy model. With the 1" spacing of models it is impossible to get the second row of dudes, who are on 25mm bases (>1") within 1/2" of a enemy model when there is a row of dudes in front of them. Especially when most players i face keep there units out of base contact but with 1/2" when they move their chargers, only to move them into base with their pile in moves.

The only way i see spears working is if you keep them right behind the front line so they can use the 3" pile in to attack.

I have found the counter charge mechanic to be almost useless except for small units of 10 on the flanks of larger blocks.

I guess i should call out that there are two different counter charge rules, one for FG Guard and another for Crossbowmen/Handgunners. 

- Handgunners/Crossbowmen: by keeping your range shooters either behind your Guard or on the wings, there is a great chance they will have an opportunity to stand and shoot. If your opponent charges your ranged units, you'll could reduce the bodies in combat with a free shot prior to combat (then counter charge with your Guard if within range). If your opponent charges your Guard and your ranged units are within the 3" because they are sitting behind or are in the wings, they'll get their free shooting attacks. 

- Guard: old school Empire players might know this as the Detachment strategy. The benefit here is that the counter charge unit can move in d6", potentially 3 additional inches pile in. 

Is this strategy going to win you the game? No

Will this strategy help reduce impact if you've been charged and provide you with additional attacks? Yes 

Regarding the spacing, you can either use spears or you can position them like my formation image attached (ignore the Handgunners spading and this second row as Spears, this is an old file and i run the unit very differently now). You'll find 25mm bases are easy to position a second row of attacks using a 1" range. You can position 2x ranks of Swords in range and an additional rank with Spears. The image is more about spacing.

I'll use Hold the Line if i believe I'll be charged (or combine it with a Inspiring Presence with my Strategic Genius ability).

I hope that helps 

SetUp.jpg

2 hours ago, Origin said:

Here are the two battalion focused lists I'm looking at using. The difference is all in the hero setup. 

Griffon General Build 

And

Collegiate Build

I think I prefer the second list for the extra hero and the greater mortal wound output.

Im curious to see how the MSU style guard units perform.

In the collegiate build the luminark with the 3 long rifles can put down 12 damage at 30" plus the possible mortal would output from the collective mages. I'd even consider running a bloody fire mage... 

The links just send us to the blank scrollbuilder site. I'd love to see your lists as I've build my own Collegiate Arcane list for an upcoming tourament 

They are working from my end, just take a little while to load.

Thanks for the reply. I'm never expecting the counter charge to be game winning. And I use a formation very similar to what you have described in the diagram above. A couple of questions...

The thing about counter charge that confuses me is that you cannot counter charge when within 3", and it is clearly not a pile in move. So it seems to me that it does not escape the, "must end with 1/2" " rule, so if counter charging from the second rank i fail to see how you'll ever end up with 1/2" of an enemy model. It is a bit of a moot point as pile in does the job fine but can you counter charge from the second rank effectively?

I know you said to ignore than handgunners in the diagram, i assume that is because they need to be in the second or maybe 3rd rank to ensure that a enemy model gets within 3" of them at the end of their charge move?

@Origin when counter charging with a unit from behind, i guess it comes down to spacing of the first unit. If you are spaced 1" between the models, you could effectively counter charge from behind and land within 1/2". I don't use this strategy anymore because of the way i'm constructing my army list.

I use the shooting counter charge now. 

What makes my diagram incorrect now is the 3" spacing between the Handgunners and the back rank (which is Spears in the picture). It's now more like 1-1.5" behind the FG Guard which keeps me within 3" to shoot from behind the lines (still being considered concious of line of sights)

I find the FG Guard counter charge helpful when defending my shooters, who normally position themselves on the wings of my Guard. 

Here is an example of how I positioned a counter charge tonight. 

Depending on how the Giant wanted to initiate the charge, my handgunners were ready to support the FG Guard with a round of shots.

Alternaticely, if the Giant wanted to charge the handgunners, my FG Guard were ready to support. 

The Giant ended up charging my FG Guard and we pop him good (but he died and crashed onto a bunch of my models as he fell). 

IMG_8220.JPG

14 minutes ago, Blitzel said:

How do you all feel about gyrocopters and fyrobombers as fast support in a freeguild army?

I've personally never used them, however I'm finding tremendous value from the Prosecutors from the AoS box set. I'm using 6 and they served me well today (minus a bloodbath against a Clan Skryre list). 

I cut their heads off and will be putting Space Wolves heads on them. 

I have found that gyrocopters are not very good, they can be good distractions, but have such low damage (the brimstone gun only being worth taking), good for killing small units, and wittling away a few wounds her and there, but never making up thier points.

The bomber i use against my night goblin opponent and he fears it, due to the mortal wound ability on the grudgebusters. i take them in units of 2.

I am indeed thinking to put a gyrobomber in my list. However in the azyr armybuilder you can only take units of 1. I can offcourse take 2 seperate bombers.

I am looking for a purpose for my former captasus, I think I want to convert him into an engineer with a repeater hand gun and a bag full of bombs on his back ;-).

FYI, there's a good article about his Freeguild Army by Reece Robins on frontlinegaming, also published on BolS.

He relies heavily on shooting, f.e. With 3-4 Helstorm Rocket Batterys though this is his tournament list. Reece states he can and did beat any netlists while also loosing once in a while. 

On Bols He gets some flakk because it is no fun playing vs this list some People say. What Do you think?

I have no issue facing a list like this. It'll probably wipe me off the table but yeah, there are plenty of lists that'll do that too. 

I just think it is inanely boring to play with. No movement, no combat, just deploy and shoot until things stop moving. 

I'm really set on running an aggressive, combat focused free peoples army, with a good balance of shooting. 

Thing is you don't need the hurricanum in the battalion, 3 units of 10 handgunners can hit and wound on 2s with just the built in buffs. And they can do that to the last man. 

I feel a Cannon or Helstrom is a must, just to deal enough wounds to any particular behemoth so the Infantry can deal with it. But running 4 artillery pieces with 70 Missile Infantry seems a bit rough...  

Hey all, been a while since I've posted, my baby decided to make an appearance meaning the hobby had to be put on the back burner.. 

Anyway did manage to get a few games in with the below list, using the SCGT battlepack against Seraphon and Beastclaw Raiders scoring a Major Victory and Minor Victory respectively. 

I found the list to be very good at holding the line while the ranged did most of the damage, with the General and Greatswords coming in to mop up. 

Didn't have too much trouble playing for objectives against the Seraphon, his list wasn't the best for facing me so it was very much him throwing his army into a meat grinder.. Beastclaws did some damage however, ended up having my army locked in combat from turn 2 and failed to capture any objectives, despite being a bloody fight the army performed admirably clearing the table and taking remarkably few casualties considering, my General and Greatswords came out unscathed.. 

Definitely had lots of fun playing this list, might make some changes in future, seem to find the Greatwords to be under performing in most games but I think that just be bad deployment on my part, steam tank is 50/50 as well but does seem to very useful at holding the line and also provides some good firepower.

I might try swapping them out and adding in 2 Helstorm Rockets and another unit of Guard to hold the flank that would be exposed by the loss of the Tank.

Got a game against Stormcast coming up soon so I'll give this list another go and then possibly try it with the changes.

Was meant to go to the SCGT this weekend which really would have put this list to the test, but alas life get in the way sometimes.

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Freeguild General On Griffon (300)
- General
- Greathammer
- Trait: Master of Defense
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (320)
Battlemage (100)

Battleline
10 x Freeguild Handgunners (100)
Swordsmen (80)
10 x Freeguild Guard
Swordsmen (80)
10 x Freeguild Guard
Swordsmen (80)
10 x Freeguild Guard

Units
3 x Demigryph Knights (200)
- Lance and Sword
10 x Freeguild Greatswords (160)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)
1 x Gryph-Hound (40)

War Machines
Steam Tank (300)

Total: 2000/2000

On 21/04/2017 at 5:25 PM, Steini said:

@Taffster Nice roundup thank you! Do you feel MSU is better than larger State Guard units? How do you usually deploy?

Cheers!

I found that the smaller sizes units give a lot more flexibility, with the larger units having them locked in combat really opens up holes in the line that the enemy can exploit, with the smaller ones however it's unlikely all 3 units are going to be charged in one turn so you'll quite often have 1 or 2 out of combat to push for objectives or manoeuvre for a good flank, but also as well in combat if you unit takes a big hit and suffers a lot of wounds you're only going to lose a maximum of 10 models in a worst case scenario.

I usually deploy the swordsmen single rank with the handgunners just behind to take advantage of the stand and shoot bonus special rule. Hurricanum just behind them in the centre with the gryph hounds either side positioned for maximum coverage. Tank and Demigryphs cover a flank each, wizard usually sticks with the tank so it becomes quite impossible to kill and the arcane bolt really helps when it gets into combat. The Greatwords and general go wherever I feel like I'll be needing to hit the enemy hard. 

How do you best screen your ranged units from teleporting units and charges? Just wrap a long line of melee infantry around them? Or have mobile MSU squads that try and head off enemy infantry?

Our ranged units (Handgunners) have pretty short ranges so I'm not sure how to best keep them alive.

On 03/03/2017 at 3:11 PM, The Nameless One said:

So, this is my list for the upcoming SCGT - essentially it's just what I have already in my collection that fits to make a 2000pt Freeguild Battalion. So, a one drop army (which, I fear, is the best thing about it!). Almost finished painting it, just got the cavalry to finish. 

I've yet to play it (trying it out tonight for the first time) and haven't used many of the units in AoS at all yet - although I have ran the Spearmen, Greatswords and Handgunner blocks before.

Very little rend output, no magic or mortal wound defense, and just the one hero makes this a very hard army to win many games with, but I do have bodies. My initial plan will be just to see if I can survive until Turn 5!

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Archgeneral Carlton Smiles-Pomley (100)
Freeguild General
- General
- Trait: Master of Defense
- Artefact: Phoenix Stone

Battleline
10 x 9th Bowmen (The First) (100)
Freeguild Archers
20 x 14th Artillery (The Hail of Doom) (200)
Freeguild Crossbowmen
20 x 1st Spears (Spears of Destiny) (160)
Freeguild Guard
20 x 1st Halberdiers (Spoons of Destiny) (160)
Freeguild Guard
20 x The Rabble (160)
Freeguild Guard
20 x 15th Gunners (The Blackhands) (200)
Freeguild Handgunners

Units
3 x 4th Fowlers (The Feathering) (200)
Demigryph Knights
- Cavalry Halberd
20 x 7th Guildmen (The Bearded Warriors) (320)
Freeguild Greatswords
5 x 10th Cavalry (The Wise Cracks) (140)
Freeguild Outriders
5 x 11th Cavalry (The Loose Canons) (140)
Freeguild Pistoliers

Battalions
Freeguild Regiment (100)

Total: 1980/2000

So, just a brief post (I'll go into more detail in my blog) about my list and how it got on at the weekend at SCGT2017.

I finished one place above Ben Johnson! Although he did come last.?.

6 awesome games, 6 very different lists (Ogres, Skaven, Stormcast, Chaos (mostly Khorne), Spidefang, and Tzeentch), 6 great opponents, and 6 losses. 

For those that aren't aware, the SCGT Battleplans are quite Herocentric, so I was on the back foot right from the off, but the boys didn't completely capitulate in every game, and I was only 50pts shy of a win in Game 3!

Shooting was very strong (especially the crossbows), and the Outriders and Pistoliers performed well, but sadly, the infantry just couldn't stand toe to toe with very much at all. 

This list needs a better player at the helm!

Hi!

Now age of sigmar has been going on for awhile...im sure some of you more experienced free guild players have some lists you find good?

Im looking for lists with most Freeguild units. But im all for mixing lists to abuse some rules ;)

- What is your "go too" list in a more competitive environment? (2k lists)

- What tricks and tips can you give a follow player with less experience? Regarding tactic and units thats best in the army. I got a competitive meta here so...I have to follow ;)  

Cheers guys! 

9 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Hi!

Now age of sigmar has been going on for awhile...im sure some of you more experienced free guild players have some lists you find good?

Im looking for lists with most Freeguild units. But im all for mixing lists to abuse some rules ;)

- What is your "go too" list in a more competitive environment? (2k lists)

- What tricks and tips can you give a follow player with less experience? Regarding tactic and units thats best in the army. I got a competitive meta here so...I have to follow ;)  

Cheers guys! 

I had a 1 day-er recently used mixed Order, & I would recommend;

FreeGuild General on Griffon (w/ shield & great-hammer--lovely model for the money)

Collegiate Arcanum (Life) Wizard (your healer which also gives another 6++ "ignore wound"-save)

Celestial Hurricanum w/ Wizard (obviously)

Luminark of Hysh (for the "quad lazer" & 6++ bubble, or take a Helblaster Rocket Battery, or even an Empire Mortar)

Waywatcher Hero (w/in range of the Hurricanum's +1 to Hit he can really unload if he doesn't have to move, otherwise stick a Wizard on your Luminark)

Valten (if Compendium is allowed then he's great mounted Hero to be aggressive with)

RunePriest (to give his fellow "stunties" either another rend or 6++, good armor & unbinding bonus)

x2 10-man squads of Handgunners w/ Sniper-Sergeants

x20 Dwarf Warriors w/ Great-axes & shields (& Runic Icon)(your shield-wall)

x10 Dwarf Miners w/ pony cart (to tunnel onto a far-away objective)

x10 squads of either Eternal Guard or Seraphon Skinks are nice for cheap bodies/road-blocks/skirmishers

for cavalry I like either Stormcast Fulminators for heavy assault cav., or Dragon Blades for speed + killing lightly-armored targets.

if I have 20-40 points left-over, then I run 1-2 Hunting Hounds (Fenrisian Wolf-pack proxies or 3rd party) or 40-80 I do Gryph-hounds 

sample list: http://bit.ly/2qhIj45

GWF2.0List.pdf

GWF2.1List.pdf

Hey lads, 

After a few games of being solidily beaten by walking trees with 2+ rerollable saves i feel like I need a lot more mortal wound output in my free guild army. 

What is the best way to add in mortal wound output into your free guild lists? 

The hurricanum is the obvious choice but are there any other options? 

On 4/30/2017 at 3:04 PM, Kimbo said:

Nice list...you got lists with more freeguild? The fulminators i like!

Anyone els have some lists they like? :)

Between the 2 lists you get the idea, I hope??  Depends on what you can get/proxy, ya know??

7 hours ago, Origin said:

Hey lads, 

After a few games of being solidily beaten by walking trees with 2+ rerollable saves i feel like I need a lot more mortal wound output in my free guild army. 

Dwarf Flame Cannon would be 1 way . . .

9 hours ago, Origin said:

Hey lads, 

Not much you can do, perhaps try more rend like cannons? 

Or you could try out Balthasar Gelt- for his signature spell you throw 6dice and the Target suffers a mortal wound for every successful save, means treeman rolls six times on 2+, should get you 5 mortal wounds... 

Archived