how many warscrolls in an army?

Kramer

how many warscrolls in an army?   

79 members have voted

1. 1. how many warscrolls in an army? (including heroes and double sculpts)

• 1-5
    • 6-10
    • 11-15
    • 15-20
    • More, More, More cool sculpts!!!! As many as possible.

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

To start, you wouldn't make an army with the majority of points in cultists any more than you would make an army with the majority of points in clanrats

Mate I’ve played more then 200clanrats in some of my games, even on some small events.

And let me tell you I won almost all of those battles😋

Edited by Skreech Verminking
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Greybeard86 said:

In any case, I do think that painting 60+ models across 2 variations, plus a few heroes, is dreadful (for me).

Yeah I’m done with that as well.
But on the other hand. I have painted 80 clanrats, 40 stormvermin, 40 giant rats. Of with the last two were mono pose. 60 mono pose plastic dwarf warriors, 60 witch elves and sisters (mixed plastic and metal). 50 metal executioners, loved painting those for some reason.

Thinking about it I have around 45+ leadbelchers and gluttons. The only difference is the weapon. Didn’t mind painting them either. 

while writing I’m kinda realising that it’s more dependent on the sculpt then the number (up to a point, of course). Looking at them I understand fyreslayers could be a pain. So many little details. While I found the metal executioners a joy. 

It was a close tie between 11-15 and 15-20 for me but in the end I voted for 11-15. Because I like these smaller thematic Armies like Sylvaneth or Kharadron Overlords or Daughters of Khaine. They really impressed me when I started to get into AoS.  On the other Hand I am a fan of small 5 wound Heroes - you can never have enough of them in an army.
In the end my preference lies with @Neverchosen reasoning here, that the amount of Warscrolls should somehow reflect the culture and background of the Army.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Mate I’ve played more then 200clanrats in some of my games, even on some small events.

And let me tell you I won almost all of those battles😋

Given that 200 clanrats is only 1000 points... but regardless, that's not really the point. Spamming clanrats is far stronger than spamming cultists, so if dumping over 1k into them isn't common spamming cultists certainly won't be.

Edited by NinthMusketeer

49 minutes ago, NinthMusketeer said:

Given that 200 clanrats is only 1000 points... but regardless, that's not really the point. Spamming clanrats is far stronger than spamming cultists, so if dumping over 1k into them isn't common spamming cultists certainly won't be.

1. i did mention that I have put more then 200clanrats into a list.

200became the minimum for me lately.

2. I’m pretty happy that it isn’t common.

makes it easier to win games against the extreme powergamers, who usually try and get a 1-2turn win, which in this case is basically impossible(love the face expression though😂)

3. Painting over 300clanrats can actually be pretty fun

I voted 15-20, but for me, it's more like 15 being the average would be good. 20 is a lot, and not needed in most circumstances. But I would like to see more than  10-15 implies. IMO, 10 warscrolls should be what they should be aiming for as a floor, and that for tightly-themed and narrowly-focused armies. I can think of several types of units I would like to see for any faction at or near that amount.

I acknowledge that the more warscrolls there are, the higher amount of "chaff" warscrolls there would be from a competitive perspective. But while I am sympathetic to the competitive perspective, it's definitely not the only one that matters. Cool themed or oddball list ideas benefit from more warscrolls. Modelers and other hobbyists benefit from more kits, which is a likely consequence of more warscrolls. Lore enthusiasts benefit from more types of units and characters being covered.

As long as we avoid the "chaff" warscrolls being ones that are essential to the army's functioning or core aesthetic (I am thinking of Liberators and Chaos Warriors here),  no one's going to feel obligated to take a bad warscroll.  But those warscrolls (and kits) existing is still of benefit to the fandom and hobby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NinthMusketeer said:

If I’m honest I think that if you’re judging an army by how they tag on underworld and Warcry warbands then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. 

they are so clearly just a little curtesy to players so they can play with their toys in the main game. 
Very occasionally they get a good rule on accident, beast of chaos, but usually they only fit because the rules are a bit wonkey, Skaven. 

1 minute ago, Kramer said:

If I’m honest I think that if you’re judging an army by how they tag on underworld and Warcry warbands then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. 

they are so clearly just a little curtesy to players so they can play with their toys in the main game. 
Very occasionally they get a good rule on accident, beast of chaos, but usually they only fit because the rules are a bit wonkey, Skaven. 

...pardon? I was originally responding to a concern over playability difficulties of mass-cultist armies, explaining that they won't be a thing in the current environment so it's not something to be worried about. 

54 minutes ago, NinthMusketeer said:

...pardon? I was originally responding to a concern over playability difficulties of mass-cultist armies, explaining that they won't be a thing in the current environment so it's not something to be worried about. 

...excuse me? Then we apparently agree ;) 

1 hour ago, Skreech Verminking said:

Painting over 300clanrats can actually be pretty fun

Gotta respect somebody who just loves what there doing.  If you can put 300+ models you painted on the able you’ve earned those power gamer expressions and more.  It is arguably the army I am least likely to ever play (barring a major bargain on eBay because I just can’t paint at that scale...) but damn I’m happy there are players like yourself out there doing it justice!

• Like 2