Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

Thanks all for the kind remarks 🙂

Personally I like most of the scheme GW uses for  NH, it is one of the things that made me start this army in the first place, but indeed i tried to give it a slightly more grimdark look, mostly using things I learned from Grimdark Compendium. Not as grimdark and  bloody (or good)   as theirs, but just a bit more spooky than GW's.  Great to hear that you can see  that from the results., I find that really motivating.

On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 5:05 PM, Urauloth said:

How did you do those bases, Lowki? They really look nocturnal - not just dark, but as if the whole warband is situated in the night. Great use of colour.

sorry for the late reply...

It is largely based on a scheme shared by someone on TGA (Sleboda if I remember correctly.)

1. Prime with the black spray primer of your choice
  2. Lupercal Green drybrushed over entire base 
  3. Drybrush Kabalite Green around the perimeter, toward the center but not all the way.
  4. Repeat #3 but with Sybarite Green and staying further out from the middle
  5. Repeat but with Gauss Blaster Green. Even further from the middle, but i touch all the edgesI use a smaller brush for this
  6. edges with Ulthuan Grey, all the way around, evenly
  7. Wash with nuln  oil, to mute the tones a bit
  8. repeat 5 and 6 but just slightly drybrush it, only touch the outer edges. This to restore a bit of the (moon) light effect after the wash

In addition I add some red rust pigment on the soil here and there and drybrush Gauuss Blater Green and Uthuan Grey over it again, just to give a bit more variation without adding to much color to the base at the same time. For metal parts like the fences, I pain over it t it with a dilututed (1:1) AK interactive rust streaks, and then go over it again with a slight drybrush of the two aforementioned colors.

Edited by Lowki
  • Thanks 1

Space for one very late joiner on this thread? ;)

Been working on some living city this month and realising that I'm totally ending up veering creepily close to having a 1k sylvaneth (or more) army thanks to wanting a summoning toolbox for my pirate alarielle conversion and sylvaneth units within the city in general. Would be nice to try and use something like this to push me back into painting after a difficult lockdown of very waning hobbying.

2 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

Been working on some living city this month and realising that I'm totally ending up veering creepily close to having a 1k sylvaneth (or more) army thanks to wanting a summoning toolbox for my pirate alarielle conversion and sylvaneth units within the city in general. Would be nice to try and use something like this to push me back into painting after a difficult lockdown of very waning hobbying.

Maybe not my call, but I can't see why not :)

Looking forward to see your take on the Sylvaneth (and your Ararielle conversion), one of my favorite armies, and Arielle is such a great model imo.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LuminethMage said:

Very cool, these look very much like in the lore where most CoS citizens are afraid of them. 

‘When the siege towers of Dagramm Thule approach
the Baeyrd lodge in Aqshy, twenty retinues of Decimators from the Sons of Mallus strike down into the Chaos horde’s midst. Led by Lord-Castellant Selithon Blackstar, they cleave their way towards the towering constructs before hacking the legs from the twisted gargants that push them. ‘
Slurce the stormcast battletome. 

and there a couple of more quotes about the grim and sour nature of the sons of Mallus, and their decimators retinues in particular. 

so thanks so much! It was excactly the look I was going for. Not the shiny heroes but the scary otherworldly things they must be from a joe the farmer perspective. 

• LOVE IT! 1

33 minutes ago, Lightbox said:

Absolutely! 
and it’s also definitely @Lowki’s call starting now. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Absolutely! 
and it’s also definitely @Lowki’s call starting now. ;) 

Thanks! I'll get a first month plan sorted when I get home today :) Hopefully some of the sylvaneth ebay rescues I've got coming in will arrive this week so I can get a good start in fixing, priming & painting. 

1 hour ago, Lowki said:

Looking forward to see your take on the Sylvaneth (and your Ararielle conversion), one of my favorite armies, and Arielle is such a great model imo.

Thanks! I've gone for a coral scheme based on this: (Because luminescent leaves/tree ends with the new necron paint are great fun)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSj8m4DTfDM5fVr6wOX2e2

For the tree parts and I'm thinking of doing the normally spectral parts as skin, since my living city is my undead pirate project it would be cool to give them a bit of a more horror sort of thene, like fake sylvaneth being created from horrible magics and body stitching sort of stuff. Something to test and see if it works at least,  if not I can easily do spectral for them.

My Alarielle I bought, built and began painting last so will definitely be able to include some pictures of her for this months work :) She's mostly done, need to get the airbrush out for her hermit crab beetle though. The painting itself is gonna be mostly just contrast because something quick, easy and colourfully fun is nice to ease myself back into things rather than trying to tackle lots of layering, highlights whilst juggling life stuff with time constraints.

Edited by Lightbox
  • LOVE IT! 4

2 hours ago, Sttufe said:

@Eldarainif u dont mind telling, where did you get the reptilian liberator unit, they look like kroxigors but way better proportioned. I am thinking about swapping the GW Kroxigors with those guys, whatever they are.

They are these guys. But a headswap could make that a very cool stand in for the less than inspiring (imo) official Kroxigor.

The Aelves in my City are from Ghur and turned to Lycanthropy to survive the Age of Chaos

d85d3c77668d070ae04232af19eb4972fcfaf175_480x.jpg

IMG_20200115_004223~2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Eldarain said:

They are these guys. But a headswap could make that a very cool stand in for the less than inspiring (imo) official Kroxigor.

The Aelves in my City are from Ghur and turned to Lycanthropy to survive the Age of Chaos

d85d3c77668d070ae04232af19eb4972fcfaf175_480x.jpg

IMG_20200115_004223~2.jpg

Thanks a ton, didn't notice the wolf heads but the proportions do look about right for a headswap.

• Like 1

September month 1 pledge. Including Alarielle since I bought, built and painted her only last week so she counts XD

Starting slow and simple but may end up getting more done, we'll see. Hoping to build up to a 1k list (excluding alarielle for now else it would only be like 2 months) and want to try and achieve this by the end of 2020. If I manage this quicker than planned I will totally give myself stretch goals ;)

20200909_194406.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kamose said:

So I'm about a week late with my August submission but here they are! Hypno-kitty Noel and her 20 Ungor Raiders!

20200909_192855.jpg.7fb71a2099e1daf172818208919521dd.jpg

One of the Ungors, Basketball American is his name, didn't make it...

20200909_192946.jpg.9ef1ce4636074fd2e335f58da7b857b7.jpg

'sad goat noises'

Haha excactly what happens in game right: ‘throw him on the fire!’ 

they, including the bbq ungor, look great. Never knew the mind stealer seas that big though. 

On 9/2/2020 at 10:00 AM, Kramer said:

-finish my retributors. Only satchels and trophies to be done. 
- 5 aetherwings. No converting needed. Just painting. 
- basing the above + lord relictor.

Okay step one is done. On to step 2! 

Is it just me btw? For some reason the 10th and 20th somehow became mini deadlines due to this project 😂

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Is it just me btw? For some reason the 10th and 20th somehow became mini deadlines due to this project 😂

The good ol' fun of multiple month deadlines ;) I can't say I can match your progress this month but I have now built my arch revenant and my spite revenants with some tricorns, hoping to get them sprayed up tomorrow morning and potentially some paint on them in the evening. Need to sort out my bases too, decide if I want them on the beach or in the water!20200911_000636.jpg.9ecd4f971b77cf59321ad7bc6d36f2ff.jpg

What colour scheme are you planning for your aetherwings? They seem like a fun unit to be able to splash out different complimenting colours you don't normally have on your regular troops :)

• LOVE IT! 1

6 hours ago, Lightbox said:

What colour scheme are you planning for your aetherwings? They seem like a fun unit to be able to splash out different complimenting colours you don't normally have on your regular troops :)

Exactly! this one I did in June. But then got frustrated with them. So left the other two unpainted. Now I have 5 on the painting desk. 
Also you say progress... those decimators were 90% finished last month 😅

EEBAC00B-8257-4246-9729-D6D8B61E55CA.jpeg.ba77b93a9ebdadfccf9b7a1179487c27.jpeg

6 hours ago, Lightbox said:

t I have now built my arch revenant and my spite revenants with some tricorns, hoping to get them sprayed up tomorrow morning and potentially some paint on them in the evening. Need to sort out my bases too, decide if I want them on the beach or in the water

Oh basing is always such a love/hate thing for me. are you thinking bright blue water or more sea green/black water? 

• LOVE IT! 1

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Exactly! this one I did in June. But then got frustrated with them. So left the other two unpainted. Now I have 5 on the painting desk. 
Also you say progress... those decimators were 90% finished last month 😅

EEBAC00B-8257-4246-9729-D6D8B61E55CA.jpeg.ba77b93a9ebdadfccf9b7a1179487c27.jpeg

Oh basing is always such a love/hate thing for me. are you thinking bright blue water or more sea green/black water? 

I love how colourful that is!!! And don't knock it on the decimators ;) Progress is progress, no matter how small.

Bright blue which deepens into a darker blue as it hits deep parts, gonna be using living city as my army on parade this year which will include some of my sylvies, so gotta take board placement into consideration for some of them. I've kind of fallen in love with basing a bit after seeing some of Vince Venturello's videos on it, built up bases look so good when finished that they feel worth the hassle to me.

• Like 1

A short update from my side:

1) all that I have finished so far from my 3 army boxes. 
2) First wave of Lumineth that just arrived an hour ago. 

I’ll try to finish the Dawnriders and Warden, while building 10 Sentinels and maybe an Endless Spell until start of the next month. Eltharion is also tempting..., but I think I’ll keep him for later.

8D8EB124-A894-492D-A5AC-2D1CDD04ABEA.jpeg

BC44B9BA-3216-493F-9D62-7C4DBAC6E93B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • LOVE IT! 2

• 3 weeks later...

Almost month closing, it  has been quiet here lately. How is everyone doing. Still on track?

Well I am definitely not ...already had a month delay, but this month was even worse. Since my last post I didn't touch a single model, until this weekend. I was able to finish these two:

a single Revenant

Revenant01.jpg.08a90f24da79af97a7ecd4f748ff7227.jpg

Revenant01-2.jpg.c40989e0e8de447f023566be458d3c48.jpg

And a hexwraith. I actually started my army with this particular model when I was waiting for nighthaunt to be released back in, what was it 2018? I bought a malignants SC because I couldn't wait starting with it at that time. I originally tried to make the horse look more ethereal, as I figured they must e ghosts rather than skeletons,, but my attempt, among others with fluorescent paints didn't really work out that well, not to say it looked plain ugly. I put it away once NH was released and didn't touch it since.  Now I realized I had hexwraith on my list to complete so restarted it, choosing a more conservative scheme...not original, but still an improvement compared with my earlier attempt.

I always liked the hexwraith, but must say next to the big and furosious steeds of the nigh haunt, they feel a bit out of place, as if they are driving pony's on a fancy fair...looking forward to the rest of them though.

Hexwraith1-1.jpg.ae7a91810cdcf9e7f0a541a636ca392a.jpgHexwraith1-3.jpg.c1619b9c1533bf47b48c6b1ff49b3075.jpg

Hexwraith1-4.jpg

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 3

30 minutes ago, Lowki said:

Almost month closing, it  has been quiet here lately. How is everyone doing. Still on track?

Well I am definitely not ...already had a month delay, but this month was even worse. Since my last post I didn't touch a single model, until this weekend. I was able to finish these two:

a single Revenant

Revenant01.jpg.08a90f24da79af97a7ecd4f748ff7227.jpg

Revenant01-2.jpg.c40989e0e8de447f023566be458d3c48.jpg

And a hexwraith. I actually started my army with this particular model when I was waiting for nighthaunt to be released back in, what was it 2018? I bought a malignants SC because I couldn't wait starting with it at that time. I originally tried to make the horse look more ethereal, as I figured they must e ghosts rather than skeletons,, but my attempt, among others with fluorescent paints didn't really work out that well, not to say it looked plain ugly. I put it away once NH was released and didn't touch it since.  Now I realized I had hexwraith on my list to complete so restarted it, choosing a more conservative scheme...not original, but still an improvement compared with my earlier attempt.

I always liked the hexwraith, but must say next to the big and furosious steeds of the nigh haunt, they feel a bit out of place, as if they are driving pony's on a fancy fair...looking forward to the rest of them though.

Hexwraith1-1.jpg.ae7a91810cdcf9e7f0a541a636ca392a.jpgHexwraith1-3.jpg.c1619b9c1533bf47b48c6b1ff49b3075.jpg

Hexwraith1-4.jpg

looking good! This weekend was a jumping board to a productive fun period right... right? ;) please tell me so, because I managed 2 colours on 4 birds this weekend. 

Might finish them, or close to tomorrow night. 🤞

• Like 1

@Lowki Awesome, I really love the blue, and your Hexwraith. Such a nice model. 

There are still a few days left "cough".

I'm still really motivated and have kept working on my Lumineth basically every day. Wardens are 100% finished (shields attached, bases done). Danwriders 99% finished (missing the base on one of them), and I've assembled I think 14 or so Sentinels and the Cathallar (which I almost totally messed up), and started painting the a Sentinels

It is getting a bit difficult to keep up the pace, because at the start I really felt that I also make good progress with painting as such (no wonder, because I hadn't done it for years ...), but I have mostly plateaued in that respect. Seems like all the low hanging fruits are gone : ). It's still a lot of fun though. 

I'll post a picture of my army in two days. The pictures really helpful to feel the progress of the project. 

• Like 1