Tale of X online gamers

Kramer

Yes, the metal parts of the Cathallar haven't been washed and properly highlighted yet. Next on the list, probably after spending another hour on the lamp going gold, mistake, green, mistake, gold, mistake, green, mistake .... . : ) 

And thanks again for the advice with the reverse scheme. That worked out nicely : ) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Very nice, @LuminethMage !:) What are your plans for basing?

Thank you. There is a reason why I haven’t shown any bases. 😅 I thought I had a good idea for my Zaitrec based army

- They use Lunarmetal instead of Sunmetal (mechanically the same of course). Because I’m not good enough to paint power swords, I’ll use a blue-silver colour shift paint to get that effect. (That’s also why the lamp of my High Warden has blue light for example)

- Their Aetherquartz comes in form of blueish “Moonstones”, which I’ll buy, because again it would take too long and is a bit above my painting skills to paint them myself. I just stick one of those to each of the bases which are otherwise painted in the scheme GW uses for the Lumineth in most of their showcase models (Battletome describes how to do that).

The goal was to get something similar the cover art on the Battletome. Just a bit more moon themed.

I tried this on one model this week, after finally receiving the colour shift paint and basing material - and it I didn’t work at all. All the blues clashed, the resin crystals looked too much like plastic, and my bases either too muddy brown, too red, or just too colorful, and all those elements didn’t fit with each other. So, I was trying to salvage this over the last few days, adding and taking away sand, small stones, changing the base colour, and fiddling around with the colour shift paint - but nothing really worked. 

This morning, all of a sudden I remembered the Zaitrec picture from the Battletome and the story about the Zaitrec earth emitting light. That gave me an idea. I painted the base grey, blue, green (a lot dry brushing) to get an effect a bit similar to the picture in the book. I also changed the rim colour from brown to black. That worked pretty well. It really improved the whole  look. The resin crystals look much less like plastic now, and the colours work much better together with taking less away from the model. I just tried this an hour ago -  so I’m still experimenting a bit, I’ll show it once it’s finished. Nothing outstanding, but I finally like the base and can move forward. And it’s relatively easy to do. 

Sorry for the long explanation, I just thought it might be good to also mention what didn’t work for me : ). 

• LOVE IT! 4

Thanks a lot! Don't mind long explanations - they happen far to little and I always appreciate them. 😃
I am trying to go pretty retro/vintage with green Grass and Grass Tufts and a little dirt or flowers. But I am a little scared that the flowers will be too colourful and detract attention from the Model. But who knows? I'll have to experiment. 

The Moonstone is a very cool idea for Zaitrec :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Aloth_Corfiser said:

Thanks a lot! Don't mind long explanations - they happen far to little and I always appreciate them. 😃
I am trying to go pretty retro/vintage with green Grass and Grass Tufts and a little dirt or flowers. But I am a little scared that the flowers will be too colourful and detract attention from the Model. But who knows? I'll have to experiment. 

The Moonstone is a very cool idea for Zaitrec :)

I saw your models - really nice with the classic High Elf look. So vintage bases should fit very well. I also often think I should have gone with something like that for my models. I think my subconscious was still whispering “Saphery~~~“ to me when I had all the ideas with blue... .

I’ve seen several Lumineth bases with some flowers, there seem to be some great yellow and blue ones people are using. Both look great. Mine was just overloaded and had too many coulors. 

And even if it doesn’t work out at first, experimenting is really quite fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, a lot of things ended up happening this month (including taking in a rescue dog - quite an adventure, but a distraction from painting!) and while my miniature is coming on nicely, there's no way I'm going to get him finished today in time for the pledge. Disappointing, but I'm going to keep going and post the late results anyway.

• Like 4

So, my plan for September. As I finally have everything I need, and the colours for basing and the blades worked out, onto the next step. The 30 Wardens are still in various stages of being painted (only half the shields, a few test blades and bases are done right now). 

I hoped to get Eltharion and 5 Danwrinders done during September while finishing the Wardens. But as GW will release everything I need for my first 2,000 points list in 2 weeks (30 Sentinels, Teclis, another Cathallar, and the Endless Spells), I might build and prime some of those instead, especially 10 Sentinels for a well-rounded 1,000 points list, first. 

The second photo is showing the basing and blades. The base looks a bit more glow-y in reality. I think it works quite well as the mystical, glowing Zaitrec earth. The model still has some rough edges (hands will be repainted in flesh colours for example) and clean-up to be done, but that's basically how my army is going to be painted over the next months.  

IMG_7813.jpg

IMG_7814.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 3

I will do the picture later. But after losing all planned work over the summer, work had finally returned for me.... with a vengeance 😂 

so very good news that I will be able to buy into the new Warcry box on release. But the bad news is I won’t be able to finish the last 400 points of my stormcast army this month. So end of oktober the army should be done 💪

so this month I’m going for:

-finish my retributors. Only satchels and trophies to be done. 
- 5 aetherwings. No converting needed. Just painting. 
- basing the above + lord relictor. 

that will leave me with three palladors, three raptors and the lord aquilor in oktober. Bit much but I’ll probably take a week off after the long hours in august and September. 

Who else has an end goal in mind? 

Edited by Kramer
  • Like 2

Well I am officially delayed now too for at least month as I wasn't able to do as much as I expected during my holiday. Plenty of excuses of course, for one we had a heatwave over here or more than a week, really couldn't get myself to do anything including painting, and moreover, even when I did it was difficult as the paint was drying right on my brush and I also ended up with some badly primed models due to the fact that the paint dried immediately after it left the can. Also struggled with building,  especially with filling the gaps, my least favorite part of the hobby ( I really suck working with greenstuff, maybe I need some good tutorial on that subject.)

I did however finish the GoS, Crawlocke and his chainghasts and a unit of Myrmourn Banshees. The bladegheist are work in progress. Will share the photo's later this week. I left Kurdoss in his box, untouched. If I can do Kurdoss and finish the Bladegheist this month, I will be back on track.

@Kramer, good to hear you have work again

Edited by Lowki
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lowki said:

I don't get it, please explain what you mean? ;)

How well do you know the teachings of Aristotle's Rhetoric? It's a very interesting and relevant treatise which fits this situation very well.  First off interesting fact for everybody, and i'll put the rest in a spoiler quote, is that he wrote this to help the poor. In those days people represented themselves in court and Aristotle felt it was unfair and undemocratic if people with a better education could convince the jury better. But you still basically need three doctorates to understand it.

I'll roll out my arguments regarding Etos, Logos and Pathos here:

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Edited by Kramer
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lowki said:

Photo's of what I was able to finish last month, making up the total of 650 point, still about 850 to go. With 2 units of Bladegheist on their way, I am more or less half way now.

GoS-1.jpg.0876d874c1c7d08e9ada046a8b944ff8.jpg.

GoS-4.jpg.f1335f0f38b9555dfdddd9bf6ad35f29.jpg

Chainghast-1.jpg.3c6983afe1d7abc88c6c7b4126e68fa9.jpgChainghast-3.jpg.c3d9a0b41d08364bb8191db2ea4e305c.jpg

Banshees-1.jpg.b9961b3ed85eeecb524bad40f8487111.jpgBanshees-2.jpg.84f2bf177db4355ca0db780cfb58a3fc.jpgBanshees-3.jpg.1d083ecb90e09b143caa36ad8f53efec.jpg

Those are some spooky bois! Love the desaturated look. It feels like this is what GW tried, and failed, to show in their paint scheme. Really cool!

• Thanks 1