Line of sight

gronnelg

16 hours ago, Dead Scribe said:

I say house rules are bad because there are now two sets of rules a player has to learn.  The real rules, and then some other person's version of those rules.

In practice house rules are rarely that complex nor detailed. They are typically small conventions/ideas/concepts that players tweak the game state with as part of their standard game. So its not typically an extensive learning curve to pick them up. Also by their very nature they are only standard game content for that club/social group. As always (outside of a tournament - many of which also use their own house/event rules) its with your opponents permission. You can freely ask to include or exclude house rules or indeed any rules or game aspects if you so desire at the game establishment phase. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They don't have to be complex or detailed to be bad.  I can't count how many times someone that likes to house rule comes in and gets mad at having to play by the official rules, or a player who doesn't know better is playing someone using house rules and then they end up thinking those are the real rules, and then arguments happen.

My very simple modification: Everything is a 2d projection for LoS. 

Boom. Done. All you now need to do is have all line of sight measured to bases, from base to base, not body to body. Any part of your base can draw a line to the target unit, you can shoot it etc.

For example, the line of sight rules for sylvaneth Wildwoods basically work like this already and they are very intuitive and quite easy.

It immediately fixes all those stupid windows or doors or trees or whatnot that you can see through. Big things have big bases and still can't easily hide. And they can keep producing fun interesting terrain with holes in it.

Maybe I'm missing something but I think this would be very easy and fix a lot of problems others are encouraged to point out the problem here though.

• Like 2

Model to model line of site has always felt odd to me, especially from a modeling perspective. Although a small difference. you could gain an advantage based on how you base your mini (cork for extra height for example), but a situation that's always struck me as especially  weird is the build options for the Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon and Plagueclaw Catapult. There are 3 build options for both, based on the frame that will affect the model's height by a few inches. So the way you build the model can change how well it benefits from or is hurt by line of site rules.

In my local group we've been trying the base to base measuring for line of site, and find that it's working well enough.

skaven warmachines.png