SCE in Meeting Engagements

Lucur

I recently had my first series of Meeting Engagements games and i thoroughly enjoyed the format. Being able to do several games in one evening on a work day is amazing :)

My list was as follows:

Celestial Vindicators

Spearhead: 5 Sequitors, 3 Hurricane Raptors

Main body: 5 Sequitors, Lord Arcanum on Dracoline (General, Pride Leader), 3 Evocators on Dracoline

Rearguard: 3 Castigators

Three games vs Skaven ( 2×3 Stormfiends, 2 Warplock Engineers, doomwheel, 2×5 Globadiers from what i remember) went 1/1/1 hillariously, each of us getting a sound stomping and a draw to conclude. I dominated in a mission with several, spread out objectives and got rolled on one with two central objectives. Goes to show the staying power... ;)

In hindsight, Scions is a huge asset in these small scale games. Making your opponent move out of the way to deal with the Raptors is huge. Having a large, threatening and very mobile unit like Dracolines felt strong, until they got shot up real bad ^^ even Sequitors did okay, as they are capable of dealing with chaff. I'm curiozs to see how a list with say two Ghoulkings would fare. Summoning not withstanding...

To my list, i would change the Sequitors to Liberators and upgrade the useless Castigators to another unit of Hurricanes. Until then, i'd rather run Aetherwings... ew Castigators are bad... ^^

How have you experienced Meeting Engagements with the Stormcast?

I don't have all of this built yet but here's what I planned on trying out if anyone else is interested :)

Spearhead
Lord-Arcanum (160)
- General
- Spell: Chain Lightning
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (170)

Main Body
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
5 x Sequitors (130)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 3x Stormsmite Greatmaces
3 x Aetherwings (50)

Rearguard
5 x Evocators (220)
- Lore of Invigoration: Celestial Blades

the spells and unit order are up for changes but I thought this would work well on the small tables size

edit: I just realized I didn't pick a Stormhost... I think I was told Staunch Defender would be best

Edited by CommissarRotke

Never played so far, but I should play a few this weekend, so I have prepared two lists (both with the castigators problem ^^" )

a shootcast one:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
- Stormhost: Anvils of the Heldenhammer
SPEARHEAD
Knight-Incantor (140)
- General
- Command Trait : Deathly Aura
- Spell : Lightning Blast

3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
3 x Aetherwings (50)

MAIN BODY
Lord-Relictor (100)
6 x Vanguard-Raptors with Longstrike Crossbows (340)
5 x Liberators (100)

- Warhammer & Shield
3 x Aetherwings (50)
REARGUARD
3 x Castigators (80)

And one with evos on foot and hallowed knights for mobility:

- Stormhost: Hallowed Knights
SPEARHEAD
Lord-Veritant (120)
- General
- Command Trait : Martyr's Strength
- Artefact : Parchment of Purity

3 x Vanguard-Raptors with Hurricane Crossbows (140)
MAIN BODY
Knight-Vexillor (120)
- Pennant of the Stormbringer
10 x Evocators (440)
- 10 x Grandstaves
- Lore of Invigoration : Celestial Blades

5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
- 1 x Grandhammers

REARGUARD
3 x Castigators (80)

I just realised you folks use only one battleline. Around here two are standard. I guess we would need an faq on that...

Considering Scions: when the detachment the unit is in gets set up i decide whether to place them on the board or in Azyr, usual constraints like half units set up apply.

13 hours ago, Lucur said:

I just realised you folks use only one battleline. Around here two are standard. I guess we would need an faq on that...

Considering Scions: when the detachment the unit is in gets set up i decide whether to place them on the board or in Azyr, usual constraints like half units set up apply.

You only need a single battleline for Meeting Engagements. It's different requirements from 1000 pts Pitched Battles (Vanguard).

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Evantas said:

You only need a single battleline for Meeting Engagements. It's different requirements from 1000 pts Pitched Battles (Vanguard).

That is totally my point of view, but since it was ruled otherwise by a TO in a local shop for two consecutive ME tourneys, we usually run two. I mean, it's not so bad actually, as it keeps everyone from cheese a bit more. Unless, you know, Stormfiends... :D

• 2 weeks later...

9 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

I could have sworn GW said you need 2 battleline in M.E?

There's no errata in General's Handbook 2019 that says otherwise.  It's not 1000pts Vanguard, it's a new format. 

Over here we've been playing ME like this since 3 events ago. 

16 hours ago, CommissarRotke said:

I could have sworn GW said you need 2 battleline in M.E?

It is quite clearly shown for the format on page 72 of GHB19 that army compoition is entirely unique for this game mode. Only the main body of the force having a 1+ requirement of battleline, while spearhead is 0-1 and rearguard is 0-2.

Playing it any different is plain wrong and against the rules, although house rules can certainly happen, it is just poor form to enforce that on people, especially from a GW store. Some armies also suffer from the MSU rules, as GW is very inconsistent with unit sizes, making it nearly impossible to capture objectives from armies with access to MSU units with 20 models, like marauders for example.

Many ME battleplans quickly end in bloody battles for few objetives on limited space and time. Getting to those fast and hitting  hard is paramount. With the pts reduction Evos on Dracolines are really good, as Stormcast will lack model count no matter what, getting to objectives first and blowing up enemy units is the way to go, shooting will not help with capping and usually have too little time to do enough, as they are pointless in a brawl, while solid melee units can chip away in 2 phases per battleround.

I might even consider something like this:

Spearhead
2 x Concussors (240)

Main Body
Lord-Celestant on Dracoth (220)
- General
- Tempestos Hammer & Thundershield
- Trait: Staunch Defender
5 x Liberators (100)
- Warhammer & Shield
3 x Evocators on Dracolines (260)

Rearguard
3 x Vanguard-Palladors (180)
- Boltstorm Pistols and Shock Handaxes

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 57

This is based on getting "there" first and being hard to remove. The Liberators being the only ones in the heavens, the rest has the speed to get in decently fast and the Palladors as rearguard can get in and go whereever required at the end, also ensuring the opponent can not safely leave any objective unguarded. 

• Like 1