Fomoroid Crusher and Fimir

Possible but I'm actually a bit more pessimistic about it. Pumping out all these models in a separate system allows them to explore such designs without needing to introduce them into the main game. They do something similar in 40k and even mentioned that approach in interviews.

7 hours ago, Mutton said:

By the way, I think this model might be related to this rumor engine:
2019-05-28.jpg

I think it's the Fomoroid's back. Similar hair style, two straps across the chest that would stretch all the way around the body, the metal bolts are similar, and the little bumps on either side fit the same skin boils and blemishes the model has.

I dunno. 

That looks like nipples and a beard to me. My money is on this being another Spire Tyrant 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 11:07 PM, Knight Scáthach of Fimm said:

image.png.6aade67c5dcbfd2202cc9d66ab8c5938.png

So this big chungus was just teased for Warcry, and it's clear based on its name and appearance, that the Fomoroid Crusher is based on the Fomorians of Irish myth; specifically, Balor of the Evil Eye. This may tie into Fimir, although the only similarity is name origin and single eye. I hope this is a relative of the Fimir in one way or another. It appears to be a 60mm base, so he's just a little smaller than a Dankhold Troggoth.

Post your speculations below.

I doubt it's related - names don't mean much. I mean the ogroid thaumaturge isn't a ogor.

I heard a while back that the Fimir were supposed to be expanded into a Legion of Azgorh style army, with Allegiance Abilities and everything. In fact, back in 2016 there were some WIP of more units shown off at one of the Open Days. Shown below:

A Dirach Balefiend (wizard) :

Spoiler

DirachBalefiend.JPG.b553e6cd45e34f109e5a154bed2314e6.JPG

A Meargh (the clan's mother/leader):

Spoiler

Meargh.JPG.114effa50a9654154636daebef2b1cbd.JPG

And what appears to be a Shearl (the Fimir lesser ranks/slaves):

Spoiler

Shearl.jpg.b85c4d5558d39a3c3f9171d92d6dbe3c.jpg

However, those plans seem to have been stopped or something, because I don't believe we've seen head or tail of these since then, and its already been 3 years. Also seems like Forgeworld stepped back from AoS in general. Perhaps the Fimir army have been abandoned, and instead this Fomoroid might be the Fimir stand-in? I don't think we'll see an army of Fomoroids, but beyond having the same basis for inspiration, it also looks like a Chaos creature and maybe will act as a monster or mercenary, which is similar to the old Fimir lore that they were Chaos creatures, but abandoned by the Chaos Gods and so didn't really follow a specific God but instead acted as mercs or sudden allies for certain armies.  In 8th during Storm of Magic, Fimir were one of the monsters that could be added to any army or summoned so that also fits.

Either way, I'm a fan of it. I love the Fimir, and if we can't have the complete Fimir army from Forgeworld, I can accept this Fomoroid and hope its not a one-off and we get more.

Edited by FFJump
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2019 at 5:22 AM, FFJump said:

However, those plans seem to have been stopped or something, because I don't believe we've seen head or tail of these since then, and its already been 3 years. Also seems like Forgeworld stepped back from AoS in general.

Forge World have been restructured a couple of times since those WIP models were shown.  The intention when a dedicated AoS team was created was to continue to expand the range providing people bought the models, however now that team is no more, I don't think we're going to see any more one-off style releases from Forge World for AoS in the near future.  Could be wrong on that and there could be a secret lair they're keeping some fantasy sculptors in, but the current word on the street is not.

+++ MOD HAT +++

And before we start getting complaints for veering into not family friendly discussions 😉

The background for AoS Fimir doesn't contain any of the "bad stuff" that was incorporated into the background for the old Warhammer Fimir.  In fairness a lot of it came from legend and folklore which are actually pretty brutal and horrific - but certainly something GW (and TGA) wants to leave in the past.