Warcry : City of the Damned

Moldek

The Eight Points are a vast and twisted place. Some say that somewhere, folded in a knot of time and space, there is a crooked, half burnt inn, and inside a twin-tailed fish nailed to a shambling door. They say that if you go through that door, you’ll find yourself in the nightmare before time, the pandemonium city : Mordheim...

I was thinking about the disappointment that a lot of people felt because they were expecting something closer to Mordheim. While I’m glad that we have a more streamlined ruleset, I wonder how hard it would be to homebrew some kind of hybrid?

There are 6 warbands in the original mordheim rulebook : Human mercenaries (although with several flavors), witch hunters, sisters of sigmar, undead, skaven and possessed.

I’m thinking that it could be cool to come up with profiles and aptitudes for these warbands, add a couple of D66 tables and maybe a bit more meat to the campaign system, and be able to enjoy the fresh rules with the old setting!

what do you think, what would you like from such an expansion, what would you change? This is basically wishlisting at this stage but who knows, it might develop into something more :)

• Like 3

I think Warcry is quite easy to make home brew content for.  The runemark and ability cards put a nice cap on the number of special rules you need to invent/borrow from other factions.  I'm waiting to see all 15 published warband stats before I do a mathematical breakdown to try to figure out a points system, but I bet it will be doable.  I'm more interested in doing more RPG-miniatures hybrid in the Mortal Realms but I definitely appreciate that much in the Mordheim/Old World setting would be applicable to Cities of Sigmar, Order of Azyr and other groups like that.

• Like 3

I was thinking along the lines of matching a Mordheim faction to a warband in Warcry and get the feel of good old times. For example, Sisters of Sigmar could easily play as the cypher lords, possessed as the unmade and so on.

On another note, I'm in a process to build a cityscape board and terrain features for Warcry, to bring the new game closer to the old setting.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ArmitageShanks said:

I was thinking along the lines of matching a Mordheim faction to a warband in Warcry and get the feel of good old times. For example, Sisters of Sigmar could easily play as the cypher lords, possessed as the unmade and so on.

On another note, I'm in a process to build a cityscape board and terrain features for Warcry, to bring the new game closer to the old setting.

I think that's a really good approach to keep the aesthetics while not having to spend hours designing stats and balancing! Actually with the simplicity of weapons options etc, warcry is very well suited to proxying in general : you can just put a picture of the model you're using on top of the picture on the card and there you go . Along your lines, I could see corvus cabal as skaven...
It would be cool to design a full add-on, with a couple of more complex injury tables, custom warbands etc. but I think it'll be easier to do once we all had some time to digest the game's mechanics.

Please do post some pics of your terrain, it sounds awesome! I have a couple of ruined buildings made for mordheim and I'll definitely add to that in the coming months.

I was planning on doing this very thing, actually.

I like Warcry quite a bit so far, and also love Mordheim. I'm torn on it, so thought I'd go on the idea of trying to make it so that my friends and I can use our old Mordheim models in Warcry, then move on to the other side where we can play Mordheim with new, modern Warcry rules.

Since the sudden spoils of all the extra factions, it's been a bit easier to make the warbands up. I went ahead and attached a pdf of the one that's gotten to the point of being testable. Let me know what you guys think?

Skaven - Clan Eshin v0.1.pdf

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

1 hour ago, Cerulean said:

I like Warcry quite a bit so far, and also love Mordheim. I'm torn on it, so thought I'd go on the idea of trying to make it so that my friends and I can use our old Mordheim models in Warcry, then move on to the other side where we can play Mordheim with new, modern Warcry rules.

Since the sudden spoils of all the extra factions, it's been a bit easier to make the warbands up. I went ahead and attached a pdf of the one that's gotten to the point of being testable. Let me know what you guys think?

Skaven - Clan Eshin v0.1.pdf 369.39 kB · 1 download

Man this is cool! You really did your homework. I’m not great at balancing but on first read this seems quite well done. Lots of high movement, weak underlings... the abilities are very thematic and seem interesting. The only remark I’d have is that I’m not sure if the rat ogre’s triple would see much use. It feels a bit risky to bet on crits, although it would be very cinematic when it does work and he just tears a big ennemy apart...

I don’t have a lot of suggestions to add to this, but I’ll think on it. Well done!

2 hours ago, Cerulean said:

Skaven - Clan Eshin v0.1.pdf 369.39 kB · 1 download

Goood stuff man!

Can't really comment other than to praise the effort atm, because I've barely even played Warcry as is. But this just goes to show, it's a very modular, plug and play ruleset.

So I got the rulebook yesterday, and I got to thinking about a mordheim mod. Following strictly their campaign system would require to write campaigns for the various warbands, which sound really fun to do. I’m gonna write down some campaign hooks and throw them in this thread. I’m not that good at writing stats so I’m hoping some people (like our great @Cerulean ) will want to do that 😉

• Like 1
  • LOVE IT! 1

So here’s my first draft of what an eshin campaign might look like :

Wyrdstone thieves

A treasure hunter came across a huge wyrdstone fragment in a burnt down warehouse. It should be obvious that filthy thieves have no right to this beauty, so you set out to take back what’s rightfully yours. Quick-quick! Before another assassin hears the tale...

Convergence battles :

1 - you found the looter’s hideout, but he’s not alone. Find him and interrogate him before his allies come back. (An assassination-type mission)

2 - you were too late! The stone was sold to a merchant. You follow his tracks to the eastern gate, held by another warband. You need to get through before the trail goes cold. (The skaven have to cross the board’s length)

3 - clutching the stone and screaming gibberish, the merchant has taken refuge inside a ruined inn on the old road. He’s hired a group of bodyguards. You wait for the night and sharpen your blades... (a grab the treasure mission)

So this is just the basic structure, I’m open to criticism of anyone has some :)

I already wrote down some ideas for the other warband’s campaigns, this is pretty fun to write.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Moldek said:

So here’s my first draft of what an eshin campaign might look like :

Pretty sweet!

One thing I'd recommend people do for both custom campaigns and the existing ones, is to write them as branching story paths that don't come full stop when you lose a convergence. i.e. losing the first convergence sends you down one plot thread, winning the first then losing the second sends you down another, and all end up with different endings, with varying rewards (or lack thereof). It'd still take exactly the same amount of games to truck through the campaign, regardless of how often you won or lost, at or at what points.

The convergence system is neat, but the mandatory win bottleneck can bring people out of a relatively high immersion setup.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, soak314 said:

Pretty sweet!

One thing I'd recommend people do for both custom campaigns and the existing ones, is to write them as branching story paths that don't come full stop when you lose a convergence. i.e. losing the first convergence sends you down one plot thread, winning the first then losing the second sends you down another, and all end up with different endings, with varying rewards (or lack thereof). It'd still take exactly the same amount of games to truck through the campaign, regardless of how often you won or lost, at or at what points.

The convergence system is neat, but the mandatory win bottleneck can bring people out of a relatively high immersion setup.

I’ve been thinking about that, I do feel the same way you do about repeating the same convergence. I’m sure they’ve designed this way to a) save space and writing time and b) minimize feel-bad moments from losing battles and reward discrepancy between warbands. I think they expect a narrative to emerge from the games anyways, so you find a reason for why your iron golem have been raiding the same forge 3 times lol.

I don’t want to go full choose-your-own-adventure with writing these, but a couple of alternative paths could be interesting. For instance if you fail the last convergence, the merchant might swallow the wyrdstone and become a chaos spawn, and now you have to kill it, so the enemy warband gains a monster ally in the next convergence battle...

8 hours ago, Moldek said:

I don’t want to go full choose-your-own-adventure with writing these, but a couple of alternative paths could be interesting. For instance if you fail the last convergence, the merchant might swallow the wyrdstone and become a chaos spawn, and now you have to kill it, so the enemy warband gains a monster ally in the next convergence battle...

How about a quest endstate that asks for your number of convergence wins, that rewards you appropriately? Won't need to stop, and each of the three win levels gives a different reward and ending spiel, no branching paths, just different endings. You could have stronger items in the 3 loss category as a sort of balancing mechanism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, soak314 said:

How about a quest endstate that asks for your number of convergence wins, that rewards you appropriately? Won't need to stop, and each of the three win levels gives a different reward and ending spiel, no branching paths, just different endings. You could have stronger items in the 3 loss category as a sort of balancing mechanism.

Something like that could work! For the moment I’m gonna tru to match the « vanilla » campaign structure so anyone can pick it up and play, but once that’s done there’s definitely room for an advanced version with more causality!

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 11:03 PM, Moldek said:

Something like that could work! For the moment I’m gonna tru to match the « vanilla » campaign structure so anyone can pick it up and play, but once that’s done there’s definitely room for an advanced version with more causality!

Yeah I kind of expected there to be ‘for your second campaign with this warband use table B’ or something in that order 

• Like 1

@Kramer there's definitely room for improvement, although I see their system as a base to build off of. I know I play very narratively so I think I'll end up implementing a lot of consequences organically. But I hope we'll see the community offer cool supplements, like hinterlands and such for AoS.

On that note, here's a little teaser of what I've been trying to do :)

FighterCardTest.png

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

2 hours ago, Moldek said:

@Kramer there's definitely room for improvement, although I see their system as a base to build off of. I know I play very narratively so I think I'll end up implementing a lot of consequences organically. But I hope we'll see the community offer cool supplements, like hinterlands and such for AoS.

FighterCardTest.png

Oh you beautiful creative bast*rt! I’m so into that you don’t even know. I lost two people in my playing group because 1. There’s no dwarf faction and 2. No Skaven. (Very casual and narrative players that said it in jest) so anything like this would be highly appropriate. Do you want a thread so we can work with you or do you prefer to work at it until you deem it ready? Because I definitely help. 

Also to respond to my comment. It wasn’t even mean it as critique. It just felt so obvious that I expected it. Like a hard mode in a game for the next run through. 

• Like 1

So I've been steadily (if slowly) working on converting Mordheim warbands over. Getting six abilities for each band and narrowing down a points value for fighters has definitely been the hardest bit. I think I may actually need to start my own thread for getting people to discuss and playtest the lists...

Has anybody tried out the Eshin Skaven list I put up yet? I may need to make up some pretty cards to get more people to really try them out, but anything people can say about them now would be most appreciated!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Do you want a thread so we can work with you or do you prefer to work at it until you deem it ready? Because I definitely help. 

think this needs to be a group project! I can definitely handle the graphic design and some of the writing, I could even produce a few illustrations, but rules-wise I’m not great and there’s a lot to do; thank god @Cerulean seems to be more than up for it. And even on the design side there’s always room for more. What would you like to do?

11 minutes ago, Cerulean said:

So I've been steadily (if slowly) working on converting Mordheim warbands over. Getting six abilities for each band and narrowing down a points value for fighters has definitely been the hardest bit. I think I may actually need to start my own thread for getting people to discuss and playtest the lists...

Has anybody tried out the Eshin Skaven list I put up yet? I may need to make up some pretty cards to get more people to really try them out, but anything people can say about them now would be most appreciated!

That’s awesome to hear! If that helps I think a lot of warbands have « re-skinned » similar abilities, with a couple flavorful ones thrown in, so you don’t have to think of 6 each :)

I haven’t had time to play since the game came out... I can help on the cards side though! If you feel you need a new thread start one, or we can keep using this one for now and split if it gets too big.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2019 at 3:53 AM, Moldek said:

FighterCardTest.png

Lovely stuff! Do you mind sharing the blank template for that? I'd love to make a duardin warband for people to use their warriors/thunderers/miners in (rip).

On 8/9/2019 at 12:22 AM, soak314 said:

Lovely stuff! Do you mind sharing the blank template for that? I'd love to make a duardin warband for people to use their warriors/thunderers/miners in (rip).

Sure! It's just one I found on the internet, the definition could be better but it does the job :)

WarcryBlankCard.jpg

• Thanks 1

Okay, I finished my photoshop template for making character cards. I'm now working on one for warband abilities. For now, here's the pdf with Skaven of Clan Eshin characters with the current Word document abilities. Let me know what you guys think and please let me know what they're like when you play it!

Assassin.jpg.cbd3590c252472ee939a63750f6c7235.jpg

Skaven of Clan Eshin - Full Set v0.2.pdf

Edited by Cerulean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOVE IT! 2

Hey all, I've spent most of the day thinking about how to adapt Mordheim rules to Warcry. I have a lot of ideas but I thought I'd share what I've come up with so far. I've adapted the Injury Table as basically as I could. I certainly think tweaking and the addition of different things would help. Let me know what you think.

Note: This is the very first draft and I've used Mordheim gold as place holders until I can figure out a proper resource and quantity to use.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bS2YGiV5oBw7D73wihVuAhv-FTWqAlb4thKfxkZ3mvA/edit?usp=sharing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I hit a snag on building terrain. Since I'm a noob on this aspect of the hobby, all my effort went to way too oversized buildings that both look ridiculous and don't lend themselves well to gameplay. I'm gonna start over,  and hence the question: my new plans involve a static board with built in elevation and building features. I know this was all well and good in Mordheim but do you guys think it'll work for Warcry? The implications would be to discard the idea of a terrain deck and a new way to set up the forces would be required. I'm not quite sure how to go on about this.

• Like 1

@ArmitageShanks, static boards can be awesome looking but usually get kinda dull to play on after a few games. If taking a static approach maybe try breaking it into four smaller tiles which make up the whole board so they can be rearranged and rotated for variety (as well as expanded on down the road). Then you can also make things like modular bridges and planks which can be added to allow rooftop travel from tile to tile.

As for building size the next time you’re heading to your local club or wherever you play take a few sheets of paper with you. Set the official terrain down on the paper and trace a rough sketch of each piece’s footprint to use as a guide. On the whole walls put a second line inside your first one so you can easily identify ruined vs solid walls. If trying to make something Mordheim like make your ground floor roughly the same size and everywhere there are solid walls have a second floor which extends out 1/4” to 1/2” wider than the base. Places with no walls are just used to enclose the building(s) and ruined walls can be replaced with scatter/junk used for cover and obstruction.

Depending on exactly how/what you’re building your city out of you may want/need to adjust slightly (for example, do stairs outside of a building count as part of the footprint or will they Count as the overhang?). 

Edit: just dawned on me, the overhang and balconies will need to be much larger than 1/4 to 1/2” to fit minis. So 1-2 sides of each building would need a balcony at least 1-1/4” wide to allow minis to stand on them. Other walls can have the narrower overhang to match that old world Mordheim aesthetic. 

Edited by Lior'Lec
In post
  • Like 1