Orcs painted with contrast?

Rodiger

Has anyone painted any orc/goblins with contrasts yet? I have been working on a project re imagining Space Crusade for a while now, and I have got to the point where I need to paint the Orks and Gretchins/Grots. There are quite a lot to do, on the one hand I would love the time saving aspect of contrast for the skin, but on the other I've put a lot of time and effort (not to mention money) into this project so I don't really want to use them as my practice/learning models for Contrast, I've been trying to paint everything to quite a high standard, and from what I've seen of contrast is a complete range from just plain awful paint jobs to some amazing ones, and I don't want these to look awful if it doesn't go well. So really I'm asking for peoples examples, or opinions about it, or combinations like the orc flesh contrast over a green base paint, any other advice, that sort of thing, before I commit one way or the other.  

Thanks

Here's a list of all the contrast paints on Savage Orruks over white primer.

https://imgur.com/gallery/fZMKNVS

I, myself, think that Ork Flesh is too bright, and I prefer Militarum Green or Creed Camo, but it really depends if you want a more grimdark or cartoonish look to your orks. If you use it over green, either you'll need a very light green basecoat, or you'll barely see the difference between shadows and highlights. Or you could just use the contrast as a precise wash, that could also work.

@flemingmmaI already have some spare orks and grots I can experiment on.

I'm just trying to save a bit of time. I mean there are so many options to try and find the best look with, I only want to do the skin with contrasts so priming the whole model white is probably not a good idea, then which colour to use for the base, the wraithbone or grey seer, a light green. Then there's a learning curve with contrast, how much to put on, do I need to thin it etc. Then do I highlight again after that,  at this point if I'm putting a base colour over the primer then highlighting over contrast would I be saving any time at all.  

@Minis by Night Thanks for the link, they are very much test models, have you done any more on any of them?

@Sleboda He looks good! What was your recipe for the skin? Those guys behind him too.

1 hour ago, Rodiger said:

@Sleboda He looks good! What was your recipe for the skin? Those guys behind him too.

Thanks!

He's 1:1:1 Plaguebearer Flesh, Militarum, Contrast Medium. 

The other guys are 1:1:1 Plaguebearer Flesh, Apothecary White, and Contrast Medium.

Contrast Medium is going to be the secret to this new era of painting.

I don't have any of those, problems with buying blind on release I suppose, I went with orc flesh as it sounded right. I picked up some contrast medium today though, I was going to get the white and a few others, but the combined price of my basket was just sky rocketing, those contrasts are expensive.

So you just mixed them together in equal parts? What was your base colour? Did you do any other layers over the top?  Are the whole models done with contrast? They are really good, they are a great advert for contrast, I have seen some stuff that makes me think I was crazy for buying them. 

Yep, just mixed in the ratios mentioned. I buy little 6-bowl paint palettes at $2 for 6 and they seem to work. Put the paint in the bowl, stir like crazy, apply to model liberally.

He was primed with Wraithbone and then painted almost entirely with contrast. Only the metal areas are not contrast - I still can't accept using non-metals for metal areas when we have perfectly good metals.

All areas are single coat, with the exception of the fur parts which have a second contrast in a darker color just for a little tonal variety and depth.

Very, very simple paint jobs, but that's perfect for board games like Zombicide and Arcadia Quest.

I'll be posting more later tonight. In fact, I think I'll start a painting blog on this site to chronicle my journey with contrast.

Edited by Sleboda

While not Orcs proper these two lads where done using a zenithal prime of mechanicus standard grey, Grey Seer and Corax White followed by munitorium varnish before giving the a coat of Ork Flesh.

20190623_091014_HDR.jpg

20190623_091032_HDR.jpg

Edited by Fulkes