"Wholly within" and multiple sources

Hellstorm42

Question

If a rule says "a unit wholly within" range from a source, but there are 2 available sources, can a unit count if they are partially within both?

Example: A unit of 20 ghouls has 15 models with 12" of one hero and the remaining 5 models are wholly within 12" of another hero. Do they get their extra 6+ to ignore?

7 answers to this question

57 minutes ago, Hellstorm42 said:

If a rule says "a unit wholly within" range from a source, but there are 2 available sources, can a unit count if they are partially within both?

Example: A unit of 20 ghouls has 15 models with 12" of one hero and the remaining 5 models are wholly within 12" of another hero. Do they get their extra 6+ to ignore?

I am pretty sure units can not be affected by "overlapping" wholly within abilities from different models. "Any" in AoS is treated as being synonymous with "One or more", therefore (loosely using for Ghoul example):

"This Ghoul unit gets a 6+ wounds safe if it is wholly within of one or more friendly hero"

This simply means that your Ghoul unit is only affected one time by the bonus. Even if it is wholly within hero A and wholly within hero B, they just get a single "layer" of 6+ safe. A unit can not be wholly within of a combination of models. It can be wholly within of multiple models, though.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure on this topic and I am lacking a direct proof for my claim - so I would like others to help out with this question. The indication I am following might be wrong after all.

1 minute ago, Isotop said:

I am pretty sure units can not be affected by "overlapping" wholly within abilities from different models. "Any" in AoS is treated as being synonymous with "One or more", therefore (loosely using for Ghoul example):

"This Ghoul unit gets a 6+ wounds safe if it is wholly within of one or more friendly hero"

This simply means that your Ghoul unit is only affected one time by the bonus. Even if they are wholly within hero A and wholly within hero B, they just get a single "layer" of 6+ safe. A unit can not be wholly within of a combination of models. It can be wholly within of multiple models, though.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure on this topic and I am lacking a direct proof for my claim - so I would like others to help out with this question. The indication I am following might be wrong after all.

I know that I wouldn't get 2 saves, I'm wondering if I would get the save if only 15 of 20 were within 12" of 1 hero and the remaining 5 were within 12" another hero. In this case, the each model in the unit is wholly within 12" of a hero, but its not the same hero for every model in the unit

2 minutes ago, Hellstorm42 said:

I know that I wouldn't get 2 saves, I'm wondering if I would get the save if only 15 of 20 were within 12" of 1 hero and the remaining 5 were within 12" another hero. In this case, the each model in the unit is wholly within 12" of a hero, but its not the same hero for every model in the unit

Can you give us the exact wording of the ability in question? I think the "Death safe" has quite another wording than the abilities KingTaloren and I are thinking about.

Here is the exact ability for the save, although similar wording applies to many abilities in the FEC book. 

Deathless Courtiers: Roll a dice each time you allocate a wound or mortal wound to a friendly FLESH-EATER COURTS unit wholly within 12" of a friendly FLESH-EATER COURTS HERO. On a 6 that wound or mortal wound is negated. 

1 hour ago, Hellstorm42 said:

wholly within 12" of a friendly FLESH-EATER COURTS HERO

This means the whole unit has to be within 12" of a, singular, hero, So no to overlapping. If you could overlap the wording would be "Wholly within 12" of any friendly". 

Archived