Brush on primer advice

Praecautus

Hello painters. I am looking for advice on decent brands of brush on primer or even if it is needed with plastic minis.

For various reasons I can’t use a spray can so have been using imperial primer but have run out. GW now recommend watered down abaddon black instead.

Is it fine to go this route or should I get a new primer, if so what is a good make to get. Or if Abaddon black works will other GW base paints work the same way?

38 minutes ago, Platypus said:

Vallejo Surface Primer.

End of discussion. :)

Yeah, I use this Primer too.

My experience was, that the Black Primer is good, the white Primer I had some problems with opacity. Still have a dark grey Primer but haven't tested it yet.

I use the grey one. It has some opacity, but I haven't experienced any need to put on a second coat I just leave it slightly opaque. The primer sticks so well to minis that I dont' think you need a completely opaque primer cover, especially if you're going to put on a base color after the priming. If you use the primer as a base coat, then sure opacity is a problem.

14 minutes ago, Platypus said:

It comes in small dropper bottles as well, so you can try it out with one of those before splashing out on a 200ml bottle.

Thanks 

assume this the right stuff, there seem to be 3 sizes (link is 60 ml  size)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vallejo-Model-Color-Polyurethane-Primer/dp/B004BN5RUU/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?keywords=vallejo+primer&qid=1552327770&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Archived