Competitive destruction

N_Watson

We have a few threads here about the specific factions in destruction and making some competitive lists. 

Where would you guys put destruction for competitive matched play?

I have only played with ironjawz myself and now have a 2000 point list I am happy with, but rather than dive into other allegiances, I am thinking and collecting models from the other destruction factions. 

Playing as ironjawz, I have no experience with shooting other than maw crusher shouting and haven't included a wierdnob shaman in my list, so no magic either. 

Bonesplitterz and beast claw both look really cool, just wondering if it is possible to be competitive with the grand alliance in general or if you need to pick only one faction? 

Beastclaw (when released) and Bonesplittaz (already released) encourage you to stay within their allegiance for extra buffs (which are really quite decent to be fair) Ironjaws (currently) don't have faction specific stuff but have proved that they are competitive within 'destruction' as a whole. So it depends I guess. It strikes me as being a lot 'harder' to write a competitive grand alliance list than faction specific tho (but would love to be proved wrong)

Waaagh! Skullcrack iz comin fer ya

I think gordrakk's ability is very powerfull .

This my idea about 2000 pti. List. i'm building it around orruk keyword 

Gordrakk

Orruk warboss

Orruk warboss with banner

1 shaman

2 orruK 20* unit

1 orruk 10* unit

5 brutes

AnD then boarboyz.....i havent point in this moment

Greenskin warscroll battalion

The army list have many orruk combo ,re roll wound , + 1 attack very fast movement with destruction ability and battalion ability.

And 2 amazing One x game ability

I think that normale orruk take a log of buff and became very dangerous 2 xgame have +2attack and the goddraks abity have effect on the whole battalion.

out of the battalion you can change some warscroll, give more choice than ironjaws alliance.

What do you guys think about the gore-gruntas. I have been looking at the rules and I am not impressed :(. The models are so awesome but the rules... I have been thinking about running them as gorefists  and try to get a first  turn charge at  a key unit/model, is dat a cunning plan ladz?

14 hours ago, Dez said:

I'm on the side of the fence that think they're good. Really fast, 5 wounds, 4+ save, hit and wound on 3's with rend then add in the Boars? Not bad at all, just pick the right unit to pin down.

14 hours ago, Thanatos Ares said:

Cavalry in AoS is less rarr smash face and more manoeuvre threaten and pin / kill ranged units. I'm with Dez, I fink dey iz propa

Waaagh! Skullcrack iz comin fer ya

Thanks guys! I will try them out. Should I go for the choppa or gore-hacka? :) 

Another question, how should I arm my one squad of 10 brutes, is it worth sacrificing the  1 attack for the extra reach?

Hi @Tommy_T - we have a great "Competitive Ironjawz" thread -

You can find all your answers and ask more questions on the mighty Ironjawz here (but in short, Gore-gruntas are awesome models but pretty weak in game, choppas are more effective, but hackas look cooler. For a unit of 10 Brutes, it's definitely worth losing the attack for the reach). Its a fantastic thread with a whole host of advice, opinions and lists etc. Well worth a read if you're a budding Megaboss!

I think @N_Watson was hoping for a more diversified Destruction chat here rather than more Ironjawz. @Sangfroid is a bit of a pro when it comes to a more mixed approached.

I have just boutique 2000 points of beast claw as well now for work over the winter. Will probably only be able to mix models in open/narrative play due to battleline restrictions, but that's fine. I just seem to be drawn to the big strong models and small model armies. My ironjawz army is around 30 models and now my beast claw army is even less. 

Just theorycrafting before lunch and though of this list 

megaboss on mawcrusha (general, ravager, talisman of protection) 520

mega boss on mawcrusha (battlebrew) 520

10 ardboyz 180

10 ardboyz 180

10 brutes 360 (ironfist big boss)

3 goregruntas 180

ironfist 60

=2000

might be a solid force for the GHB scenarios 2, 3 & 6 

has anyone actually tried out 2 cabbages?

16 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

has anyone actually tried out 2 cabbages?

Nope. I would like to though!

List looks very cool, fun and not too shabby either. Doesn't look too bad on numbers thanks to the Ardboyz. I do think you'll miss the Warchanters though. What about dropping the Gore-gruntas for 2 of them? only one model down and the -20pts might get you a Triumph now and again.

Not sure it's competitive but I'm thinking about using the following based upon what looks cool, models I have to hand and sort of fits a theme.

Leaders

Frostlord on Stonehorn 

Huskard on Thundertusk

Huskard on Thundertusk

Butcher

Units

Ogors x 6

Ogors x 6

Ogors x 6

Total - 2000

The plan is to have the Ravagers command trait to make everything faster and go for the Talisman of Protection on the Frostlord. The Butcher is for doing Mystic Shields or cheeky Maws (although Arcane Bolt would be more reliable ;) ).  You could probably drop the Butcher and go for a bigger Ogor unit, but it's all down to what you want to play with.

If I was to make it more competitive, I would be tempted to swap the Ogors out for Bonesplitter Savage Orruks but I think that's a bit against the theme with the big monsters (you could easily come up with some background though - i.e some magic spell stops them from slaughtering the big monsters with them).

I think trying to keep it mono allegiance is a nice idea but the ability to be able to move an extra 3" to 8" and still charge is a big, big, plus in my book.

Another option @Gaz Taylor would be the Brusier BSB sitting behind the the Ogor blocks when he plants his banner all Ogor models (so including the monsters) put out a mortal wound in addition to there normal damage on a 6 to wound roll) which would beef up your battleline nicely (he is also handy in combat too) 

Frostlord on Stonehorn 

Huskard on Thundertusk

Huskard on Thundertusk

Butcher

Units

Ogors x 6

Ogors x 6

Ogors x 6

Total - 2000

It's cool for a theme but I'd worry about the solo Frostlord, he's your only real combat damage piece, if you could squeeze in a huskard/beastrider Stonehorn you can play for the first turn alpha-strike with meaningful damage and would be less likely to leave the Frostlord as a solo target to be whittled down.

I think trying to keep it mono allegiance is a nice idea but the ability to be able to move an extra 3" to 8" and still charge is a big, big, plus in my book.

I don't think you will see BRC allegiance in many competitive lists, purely as it's too random with the weather rolls. Getting your stuff across the board with this kind of army is key.

I last ran a rather mobbed up mixed orruks list:

Orruk Warboss with Waaagh Banner on a boar

Savage Orruk Big Boss

Wardokk

Moonclan Grot Shaman

20 Savage Orruk Morboyz

10 Ardboyz

10 Orruks

10 Orruks

The combination of the Warboss's command ability which grants extra attacks to all orruks within 8" and the Waaagh banner allowing re-roll 1s to wound within 16" make the Morboyz and the Ardboyz  a fearsome prospect.  The Battle line tax of standard Orruks just hang around objectives looking mildly menacing.

The Savage Orruk Big boss attacking and then allowing Morboyz to immediately pile in and attack is pretty fun too.

37 minutes ago, Sangfroid said:

Another option @Gaz Taylor would be the Brusier BSB sitting behind the the Ogor blocks when he plants his banner all Ogor models (so including the monsters) put out a mortal wound in addition to there normal damage on a 6 to wound roll) which would beef up your battleline nicely (he is also handy in combat too) 

I forgot about that! Nice idea I might try...

25 minutes ago, Cowboy Boots Matt said:

It's cool for a theme but I'd worry about the solo Frostlord, he's your only real combat damage piece, if you could squeeze in a huskard/beastrider Stonehorn you can play for the first turn alpha-strike with meaningful damage and would be less likely to leave the Frostlord as a solo target to be whittled down.

Not had chance to play much so bit fixated upon being able to apply all the mortal wounds from afar, rather than realising the Stonehorns would be in peoples faces straight away! 

28 minutes ago, Cowboy Boots Matt said:

I don't think you will see BRC allegiance in many competitive lists, purely as it's too random with the weather rolls. Getting your stuff across the board with this kind of army is key.

Agreed. It's a nice idea but the default traits seem better and the BRCs don't seem to have much a harder time with objective scenarios (although they can still block things)

I'm not sure on using destruction trait with Beastclaws. The units you want to hit already can run and charge(stone horns) and your second wave(mournfangs,and or yetties seem fast enough) Beastclaw trait for +1 wound and than the heal on your stone-frostlord seems too good too pass up.

3 minutes ago, LordDrakonus said:

I'm not sure on using destruction trait with Beastclaws. The units you want to hit already can run and charge(stone horns) and your second wave(mournfangs,and or yetties seem fast enough) Beastclaw trait for +1 wound and than the heal on your stone-frostlord seems too good too pass up.

Personally I disagree. By going with the Vanilla version of Destruction you get run and charge ability for everything (plus the least amount you will 'run' is 3"!) and you get the flexibility of being able to use any Destruction Warscrolls. It's also down to how you want to play and what you have to play. I have a stash of Ogors so all I need to do is add some big monsters and that's 2K list done ;) 

If memory serves isn't this re-roll 1's to wound? not +1. In addition Destruction trait allows your Mournfang (even Thundertusks) to be in combat Turn 1. You also cannot underestimate the traits ability for you to manoeuvre your army to cover gaps in your lines, contest objectives, get away from mystical on key turns etc,

Just wanted to add that I'm really liking goblin wolf riders as calvary screens with my ogors. With bows and shields they are a very good harassment unit and are deceptively fast and durable with two wounds at 4+ that moves 12". Two units of 5 is cheap and really covers some serious ogor weaknesses.

Just wanted to add that I'm really liking goblin wolf riders as calvary screens

I think Destruction as an overall faction has little gems/combos like this that are worth taking. It's hard to break out of the old army mentality, especially when you are dealing with older models. I personally believe pure BCR favours the min-max approach.

Archived