Deathrattle Allegiance - Krell Mortarch of Despair

Nico

I think GW have two approaches to characters now.

In the fluff have named characters, but create generic models for them. A good example of this is Vandus Hammerhand, who as we all know is very active in the fluff but we don't have a specific 'Vandus' model for him. Any of the named Stormcast really.

The extremely important (and particularly large) special characters tend to get their own model, occasionally being a dual-kit with a generic version of the character. The Maw-Krusha obviously makes Gordrakk and a regular Megaboss, while you have models like Allarielle, Drycha, Archaon, Nagash etc running around.

It'll be interesting to see if GW ever make infantry sized special characters again as they've very heavily invested in the whole clampack approach now. Hard to give options to make the 'special character' version as well as a different generic version in a clampack (But much easier to do when you've got big large sprues to slot in different shoulderpads, weapons, heads, etc).

At one point they produced a few customizable single character kits.  I can't remember all of them off hand, but I had the orc warboss kit.  It made two models, one mounted the other on foot, tons of options.  I belive they still sell it as a matter of fact.  They could do something like that again.

But like you say, most recent ones have been calm packs. Not nearly as fun imo.

Archived