Deathrattle Allegiance - Krell Mortarch of Despair

Nico

I was just rereading the End Times fluff and noticed that Krell was briefly made Mortarch of Despair. He's conspicuously absent from the GH (the generic version of the Wight King is significantly weaker than he is). Total madcap theory - perhaps they will bring him back as a new leader of a Deathrattle allegiance. Perhaps, it's just that he was considered a minor character, so he got axed (pun intended). 

More generally, where to people see them going with the Death sub-factions (other than Tomb Kings II)? I'd like Nighthaunts to get new stuff.

If they did do Deathrattle, then hopefully they would get something completely new to supplement the blocks of infantry, e.g. monstrous cavalry (bone Dracoths?) and bone giants (with good rules).

Thoughts?  

Deathrattle will definitely get it's own faction. What it does is up in the air, but odds are they will be the "where the tomb kings went" Faction. I don't know how they are going to do new unit??  As far as i understand, and i could be wrong, but the sylnanteth, beastclaws, and savage ork stuff all already had thier points in the generals hand book. As such I don't know that we'd get any new models for death as there is no real reason to believe this.

My money is on Deathmage Alliegence With battalions that let you take zombies/skels so you can get batte line units, and focusing ongetting good buff spells, unit healing spells, and artifacts and command traits to make them better summoners and tankier.

A death rattle book, with a battlelion that lets you bring arkan. Probably no spells, but artifact and command traits that make wight kings stronger. 

A nighthaunt alliegence, but i can't begin to imagine what it would do special. 

edit: though you know the one army to get new models will likely be soulblight.  the blood kights, bats, and vamp lords could get plastic kits.

There are nine mortarchs altogether so they could definitely bring out more but the trend seems to be pushing away from named characters. 

Would love nighthaunts to get some more interesting heroes than the current wraith and banshees. 

Probably no spells, but artifact and command traits that make wight kings stronger. 

Surely they would have bespoke spells - this is Arkhan and the faction with the biggest reliance on magic after Tzeentch we're talking about. Incidentally, Arkhan's own spell has been nerfed into the ground by the rule of one.

well i'm saying if thery do deathrattle technically arkan isn't death rattle?? they'd need to had a skeleton mage or a way to get necromancer, but even then that means making necromancers with death rattle key word or arkan with death rattle key word. None of which currently exist. I just don't know how they are going to go about adding new models/units to the game. So i was trying to work with the current frame work of models they have out now.

They could easily make DeathRattle work kind of like skitarii or cult mechanicus does in 40k. Where they have sorta-spells. Just give them abilities or command the wight kings can issue like "Thy Will Be Done" and stuff. Or give the characters items that passively buff units around them and stuff like that.

The whole faction doesn't need to be spell based. Look at flesh eater courts. 

well i'm saying if thery do deathrattle technically arkan isn't death rattle??

That's true, but they've put him in a starter box with them.

FEC are still pretty spell oriented - that reroll wound rolls bubble around the GKoZD is pretty much mandatory. The +1 attacks spell from the GK is no joke either. It's just the summoning which has been de-spelled.

42 minutes ago, Nico said:

That's true, but they've put him in a starter box with them.

FEC are still pretty spell oriented - that reroll wound rolls bubble around the GKoZD is pretty much mandatory. The +1 attacks spell from the GK is no joke either. It's just the summoning which has been de-spelled.

Yeah nothing stops GW from giving keywords to models. If I recall beast's of the grave got the flesh eater court keyword for the flesh eater book. I suspect it will be the same for the Soulblight book it will surprise me greatly if Manny and Neferata are not in there as characters since they are the new scions for vampires in AOS. 

19 hours ago, Justinian said:

There are nine mortarchs altogether so they could definitely bring out more but the trend seems to be pushing away from named characters. 

Would love nighthaunts to get some more interesting heroes than the current wraith and banshees. 

Do we know who the other mortarchs are?

We know who all the Mortarchs during the End Times were. About half of them stabbed Nagash in the back, or were planning to do so. Mannfred did it so hard the world blew up.

Krell died a fairly reasonable death at the end there. No reason he can't come back as the ressurected Mortarch of Despair, but he'll definitely get a new model in that case. The old one got turned into a generic Wight King, after all.

19 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

We know who all the Mortarchs during the End Times were. About half of them stabbed Nagash in the back, or were planning to do so. Mannfred did it so hard the world blew up.

Krell died a fairly reasonable death at the end there. No reason he can't come back as the ressurected Mortarch of Despair, but he'll definitely get a new model in that case. The old one got turned into a generic Wight King, after all.

I only joined at the birth of AoS  (before was 40k only for many years)...so if you know who the mortarchs are, please share!

18 minutes ago, Carnelian said:

I only joined at the birth of AoS  (before was 40k only for many years)...so if you know who the mortarchs are, please share!

Cool. I'll write you a list.

Arkhan the Black - Mortarch of Sacrament (survived)

Neferata - Mortarch of Blood (survived)

Mannfred von Carstein - Mortarch of Night (thought destroyed, but survived)

Krell - Mortarch of Despair (slain during the battle for Middenheim, shortly before the end)

Luthor Harkon - (Betrayed by Mannfred and slain)

Dieter Helsnicht - Became Guardian of the Underworld

Walach Harkon - (Betrayed Nagash for Khorne, slain when Vlad took over his Zombie Dragon)

The Nameless - (Betrayed Nagash, slain when Vlad convinced his Host to cleanse itself)

Vlad von Carstein - Note that Vlad was ressurected by Nagash at the beginning of the End Times, he had initially been dead for 500 years by then. (Slain whilst purifying Isabella von Carstein, his beloved wife, who was corrupted by a Nurgle daemon)

I don't remember the titles off hand, but that's all of them and their fates.

Sweet. Plenty of inspiration there for future AoS releases. I did notice that one of the Black Library Facebook posts referred to "at least" 3 mortarchs being known to be in the mortal realms.

Can't wait for first AoS death new model releasE!

I'd love to see battletome: nighthaunt or battletome: soulblight. I feel like every other faction has had some new models but death has yet to get any love. Putting on vargheist wings on a crypt horror does not count as a new model in my book. 

Personally, I'm hoping the Krell's demotion to Wight King in the new warscroll means he will become a Mortarch and get a new model...  Though, it'll be hard to top the old one.  I think his current model is one of the best in the Death line of characters.

Mmimzie,  What makes you think they are moving away from named characters?  I haven't purchased all of the battletomes, but from what I've seen, each battletome has included a few new named characters.  

1 hour ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Personally, I'm hoping the Krell's demotion to Wight King in the new warscroll means he will become a Mortarch and get a new model...  Though, it'll be hard to top the old one.  I think his current model is one of the best in the Death line of characters.

Mmimzie,  What makes you think they are moving away from named characters?  I haven't purchased all of the battletomes, but from what I've seen, each battletome has included a few new named characters.  

It's better to say the "actual one" cause Krell has an older version related to Kemmler
The FeshEater Battletome doesn't include named ones, apart considering the Bg, but not in the rules

18 minutes ago, deynon said:

It's better to say the "actual one" cause Krell has an older version related to Kemmler
The FeshEater Battletome doesn't include named ones, apart considering the Bg, but not in the rules

Good Point.  I hadn't remembered that... That's odd, since so many Battletomes do include named characters...

2 minutes ago, MechaBriZilla said:

Good Point.  I hadn't remembered that... That's odd, since so many Battletomes do include named characters...

They're vampires^^ And probably they'll do a Battletome for Nagash and one for the ither aliiances.

In the Flesh Eater battlaion miss a lot of things ( specific alliance abilities and items), but sincerly I don't feel like missing the absence of Special Characters (and technically speaking the Strigoi has never had Named ones...UShoran doesn't count). Even if it is a pity nont find the new Bg ones, but I think it's rrelated in them not having official miniatures about it

13 minutes ago, deynon said:

They're vampires^^ And probably they'll do a Battletome for Nagash and one for the ither aliiances.

In the Flesh Eater battlaion miss a lot of things ( specific alliance abilities and items), but sincerly I don't feel like missing the absence of Special Characters (and technically speaking the Strigoi has never had Named ones...UShoran doesn't count). Even if it is a pity nont find the new Bg ones, but I think it's rrelated in them not having official miniatures about it

But they haven't exactly been shy about creating new named character mini's either.  Can't remember his name off hand, but there is the named Orc warlord on the dragon...  Alariel has a new mini.  Also, in some cases like the Beastclaw raiders, I believe they took an existing generic mini, the Stonehone, and gave it a named character option, though I may be mistaken on that one, since I only see it listed as frostlord on their website.  Still, new character models aren't out of the question.

16 minutes ago, MechaBriZilla said:

But they haven't exactly been shy about creating new named character mini's either.  Can't remember his name off hand, but there is the named Orc warlord on the dragon...  Alariel has a new mini.  Also, in some cases like the Beastclaw raiders, I believe they took an existing generic mini, the Stonehone, and gave it a named character option, though I may be mistaken on that one, since I only see it listed as frostlord on their website.  Still, new character models aren't out of the question.

But the Orc Warlord on dragon has had the new miniature.  THe Beastclaw raiders I don't know about, I still have to see the Battletome.

Anyway my ones are my sights knowing the way to do by GamesWorkshop. 

But I also know that often GW changes her way to do, so the Flesh Eater can be an old Battletome and didn't have the option about named ones as option (this doesn't mean it's so anyway).

Archived