Swifthawk Pennant

bernoodist

Question

Greetings All,

Sorry if this has been answered but i could not find a definitive answer on this, The Swifhawk Skywarden can can the Swifthawk Pennant and states that you can add 1 to all wound rolls for all Swifthawk Agents from your army if they are within 16" of this model when they attack.

So what i would like to clarify is will this stack if i have 2 Skywardens with Pennants affecting the same unit can i then add 2 to wound if they are within 16" of both the Skywardens ?

I suspect yes but i cant find any clear cut ruling that says they would and i'm sure that many opposing players would want a ruling on this as adding 2 to wound dice would be very powerful not just for shooting but for certain artifacts that go off on a 6+ would then go off on a 4+

advice and clarification very welcome

Cheers

B

3 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, bernoodist said:

Greetings All,

Sorry if this has been answered but i could not find a definitive answer on this, The Swifhawk Skywarden can can the Swifthawk Pennant and states that you can add 1 to all wound rolls for all Swifthawk Agents from your army if they are within 16" of this model when they attack.

So what i would like to clarify is will this stack if i have 2 Skywardens with Pennants affecting the same unit can i then add 2 to wound if they are within 16" of both the Skywardens ?

I suspect yes but i cant find any clear cut ruling that says they would and i'm sure that many opposing players would want a ruling on this as adding 2 to wound dice would be very powerful not just for shooting but for certain artifacts that go off on a 6+ would then go off on a 4+

advice and clarification very welcome

Cheers

B

Hi mate. It does (probably) stack since there is no general rule preventing it. Abilities always state within their own description if they are stackable or not:

Example (1): Orruk Warchanter´s Frenzy of Violence ability:

"Pick one IRONJAWS unit that is within 10" of the Warchanter in your hero phase. You can add 1 to all hit rolls made for that unit in the following combat phase."

Example (2): Great Bray-Shaman´s Infuse with Bestial Vigour ability:

"At the start of your movement phase, add 3" to the Move characteristic of models in friendly BRAYHERD units wholly within 12" of any friendly GREAT BRAY-SHAMANS until the end of that phase."

Example (3): Loonboss´s Let’s Get Bouncing! (command) ability:

"You can use this command ability at the start of your movement phase. If you do so, pick 1 friendly model with this command ability. All friendly SQUIG units wholly within 12" of that model at the start of that phase can move an extra 3" if they make a move in that phase. A unit cannot benefit from this command ability more than once per movement phase."

Example (2) and (3) clearly state that the effects provided by the abilities do not stack. (2) talks about any number of instances = 1x the effect. (3) is even more clear about stackability of the effect by telling us units can only be affected once per movement phase. Example (1) represents a stackable ability since its wording lacks any of the restrictions (2) and (3) come up with.

I can not find the exact wording of the Swifthawk Pennant but if it works as you described it cleary falls under catergory (1) and does indeed stack. I hope this answer helps you dealing with your mates. Just tell/show them that there are abilities out there stating they do not stack. Point out that the Swifthawk Pennant does not have such a limitation and that there is no general rule making abilities unstackable (if they think there is such a rule, it is their obligation to show it to you). 

@Isotop

The wording for the Swifthawk Pendant is the following

A Skywarden with a Swifthawk Pendant gains the Totem keyword. You can add 1 to all wound rolls for all Swifthawk Agents from your army if they are within 16" of this model when they attack.

In this case it would stack, but I would say, that there is a 4th example (with "this model") where it wouldn't

The case should be the Bloodskokers "Whipped to Fury":

In your hero phase, pick one Khorne unit from your army within 12" of this model. Until your next hero phase, you can add 3" to all run or charge rolls for a unit that has been whipped to fury, and can re-roll wound rolls of 1 for models in that unit

We have "this model" here too, but we have a "affected by rule x" in that case, which is a true/false question. "Is the unit whipped to fury?" Yes or no. So in case of the Bloodstoker whipping a unit 2 times shouldn't make them run or charge +6"

I think it will get interesting when Swifthawk Agents will get an ruleupdate.

Archived