KT Arena combat rosters is a nice, transferable, idea...

JPjr

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/01/20/next-week-kill-team-arena-arrives/

Obviously a lot easier to implement with a game where you have a much smaller number of troops/points to play with but this seems like a good idea that I wouldn't be surprised to see replicated, with some finessing, across systems for tournaments.

I was actually surprised when I first got back into the game again and realised that in tournaments you had to submit your army list ahead of time and then stick to that whatever the opponent/scenario. I quickly got why that's the case but (as I should say someone with near zero interest in taking part in tournaments) I thought it was still quite limiting and took away what I'd have thought was a vital element of 'generalship'.

I'm interested would tournament players here like to have, say, 3000 points to then pick and choose 1500/2000 or whatever from to tailor your army selection to your opponents faction/allegiance? Or would that annoy people that like to have one list to rule them all.

2 hours ago, JPjr said:

I'm interested would tournament players here like to have, say, 3000 points to then pick and choose 1500/2000 or whatever from to tailor your army selection to your opponents faction/allegiance? Or would that annoy people that like to have one list to rule them all.

I've tried running events with that concept - sort of like a MtG sideboard before with very little success. My end result was that most folks have enough of an uphill to build and paint 2000 points much less an additional 500 to 1000 points that may or may not ever see play.  The tournaments I've run using the concept more often than not had one or two players take advantage of it where the rest just showed up with their regular list and played their games with it. 

I think it works really well in say Kill teams where you're talking about having an extra say 3-5 models but for AoS or 40k I think a lot of people struggle to build and paint past their primary list. I know I used to also be guilty of this - once I hit my 'tournament standard' points mark I'd start another army rather than continuing to build for my current army. As I've gotten a little older I understand the value of a larger collection (more able to deal with shifts in the meta, points changes, new books etc.) but that's a fairly recent development for me. 

31 minutes ago, pseudonyme said:

I remember @Thomas Lyons  talking about a 1500 points tournament where you had to bring a 2000 points army for that exact purpose.

Indeed - both Holy Wars and Holy Havoc use a mixed format like this and have for the last couple years.  For Holy Havoc, it is a team tournament where each player brings 1.5k of points and they field 1k in each game (for 2k combined).  Holy Wars is a singles event where each player bring 3k and fields 2k in any given battle.  Part of your scoring involves using at least 500 of your sideboard in a majority of your games. This format has seemed to work well for these events and it is my absolute favorite format. 

Another format is how Nashcon requires players to bring 2 separate lists and one has to be chosen for each scenario with only knowing the scenario and what two lists the opponent might play. Both lists have to be played at least once in this 5 game event.  This is another format that I enjoy as well 🙂

Archived