Piling In To the Closest Model

Saxon

Question

In a recent game I played (4 way free for all - not recommended by the way), two players charged units into  a 3rd players unit. He was charged on one side by goblin spearman and on the other by skarbrand. Two units were within half an inch of his unit of hex wraiths that were charged. 

When it came to the pile in for the hex wraiths, two models were able to pile in and were virtually equal distance to models from each of the units that charged them.

I have been unable to find anything to clarify what happens here. When the player that was charged piles in, do they have to charge any unit in particular or, given both units have models of equal distance away from the piling in model can they choose where to pile in? Thanks. 

5 answers to this question

If two or more models are equidistant to model A and are the nearest models, A is not allowed to increase the distance to either of them due to pile-in. In most cases this means A is stuck and can not move at all (an exception would be a flying model being in b2b with two models piling over them and landing in b2b with both on the other side).

1 minute ago, Saxon said:

In a recent game I played (4 way free for all - not recommended by the way), two players charged units into  a 3rd players unit. He was charged on one side by goblin spearman and on the other by skarbrand. Two units were within half an inch of his unit of hex wraiths that were charged. 

When it came to the pile in for the hex wraiths, two models were able to pile in and were virtually equal distance to models from each of the units that charged them.

I have been unable to find anything to clarify what happens here. When the player that was charged piles in, do they have to charge any unit in particular or, given both units have models of equal distance away from the piling in model can they choose where to pile in? Thanks. 

You have to pile in to closest model, regardless of unit.

If two models are absolutely equidistant from the piling-in model, then you have to finish your move closer to BOTH of them. (From the FAQ).

If you can't, you cannot move.

1 minute ago, BaldoBeardo said:

You have to pile in to closest model, regardless of unit.

If two models are absolutely equidistant from the piling-in model, then you have to finish your move closer to BOTH of them. (From the FAQ).

If you can't, you cannot move.

You do not have to move closer. You are just not allowed to increase the distance.

Just a minor add-on.  With two exceptions (base contact, and deliberately setting up a trap "I'm putting these two models both at exactly 2.1" away deliberately, so that they are equidistant"), it's not super reasonable to have two models exactly equidistant.  One or the other is closer, even if it's by a smaller amount than the resolution of your measuring device.  I would recommend coming to an agreement with your opponent (either by persuasion or 4+ dice roll) about which is closer, and proceed from there.

Archived