Skyborne Slayer questions

BDJames

Lord-Celestant without "on Dracoth" or "On Stardrake" means on foot. So you cannot use Lord-Celestant on Stardrake in this case.

You can see other Warscroll Battatlion such as Lords of the Storm that requires "Lord Celestant or Lord Celestant on Dracoth". In this case you can fill either on foot or on Dracoth but not on Stardrake.

So, here's why I'm not so sure about that.  In the AoS FAQ, Games Workshop states:

"When selecting models for a Warscroll Battalion, do named characters count towards the requirement?  For example, in order to take a Great Moonclan, I need to take a night goblin warboss.  Does Skarsnik fulfill this requirement as he has the 'night goblin warboss' keyword."
ANSWER:  Yes, they can be taken if they have the appropriate keywords in their warscroll..."

Now, looking at the Lord Celestant on Stardrake warscroll he has the keyword "Lord Celestant" which seems to fulfill the battalion requirements, under the reasoning of the FAQ.

2 hours ago, BDJames said:

So, here's why I'm not so sure about that.  In the AoS FAQ, Games Workshop states:

"When selecting models for a Warscroll Battalion, do named characters count towards the requirement?  For example, in order to take a Great Moonclan, I need to take a night goblin warboss.  Does Skarsnik fulfill this requirement as he has the 'night goblin warboss' keyword."
ANSWER:  Yes, they can be taken if they have the appropriate keywords in their warscroll..."

Now, looking at the Lord Celestant on Stardrake warscroll he has the keyword "Lord Celestant" which seems to fulfill the battalion requirements, under the reasoning of the FAQ.

I think they mean that if in future GW releases a unique/named Lord Celestant on foot then it would count towards the Lord Celestant requirement for the battalion.

Skarsnik is a night goblin warboss on foot not, say, on a squig or spider or something.

However I'm no expert and there's still quite a lot of clarification needed from GW with their keyword system. A lot of streamlining.

Bottom line is that this is totally fine (for me - ask your opponent ofc) in open play or narrative play. 'Legal' doesn't really apply there though, I assume you mean matched play and there I don't think you'd be allowed. Or at least your opponent would probably have doubts.

It's a keyword game. He has the keyword, therefore he can go in the Battalion. The Skarsnik logic applies equally.

Ditto Gordrakk can go in some formations as he has the relevant keywords.

Either Archaon can go in the Overlords of Chaos formation.

Settra can go in the Tomb Legion formation as he's a "Tomb King".

I'd never really considered taking anything other than the foot guy. But I agree with Nico here, due to the faq it does seem legal.

Not sure they intended for a stardrake being dropped 5" from the enemy turn 1 though...

it could add some more punch to one of the punchier formations.

18 minutes ago, Nico said:

On the other hand, you would miss out on Rain of Stars in the hero phase if you brought him down in the movement phase, which is a big trade off.

It's one of his shooting attacks. And for what it's worth (not much!) I'm still not convinced he's valid for the formation.

It does say in the FAQ that they need the appropriate keywords on the scrolll. However the Warrior Brotherhood (similar battalion also in order handbook) is quite clear with the unit wording and he would count there along with other formats of lord celestant (specifically listed).

So I'm a bit unsure but I think it's due to the way GW have adopted keywords. They're not 100% the focus but maybe should be (it'd be simpler). They're sometimes using unit names, sometimes keywords.

In part it'd be great if he counts because if so I know that I've much more options for my first tourney (even if the big lad is 600 pts)!

Oh yeah good point - it's not in the table under Shooting attacks, but does say "in the shooting phase". 

I don't think he's good value for 600 points - doesn't have -2 rend anywhere, so he's much better at clearing out units rather than breaking bunkers and rock hard enemy heroes - ironically Archaon is similar unless you can buff his sword. Command ability is very "meh".

I would be interested on fitting a Celestant on dracoth. In with a lightening hammer to allow the protectors and decimators to take advantage of not being able to pile in. 

He also has a more reliable mortal wound attack. You just lose the better command ability IMO.

I think I'd need more dracoths to make use of the LCoSD's command ability. Then you start to wonder where you fit in these battalions with concussors or another LCoD and so on.

Becomes another kind of list.

Though as to rend you could give him the rend weapon (maybe another item from the battalion allowance too).

Undecided!

That said I'm a total amateur gaming wise so I'll just probably take a mad list and see how it does. Like:

Skyborne Slayers

LCoSD

Lord Relictor

2 x Concussors

I don't think it's a winner but I can see myself having a laugh.

I think the list you mention could be quite strong.

id try and find the points for a castellant to be able to buff the LCOSD I've found the few times that I've played the stardrake that a castellant makes it a beast.

id be looking at something like this list wise. Although I think I'm missing out on hero's which could hurt in the one matched play mission.

Celestant prime 
2xJudicators     

Gryph Hound    
Skyborne slayers
(Celestant on dracoth)

• 1 month later...

I think regardless of 'specific ruling', taking the on foot celestant is a far better option in general. He's cheap, a good combatant, has fantastic cloak shooting and his command ability is so good. I only ever use the dracoth celestant when I'm not running a formation due to his speed. 

Archived