Looking for a defensive army

EchoHavoc

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new army to start playing.

Looking to use this army in 2019 as my tournament army. 

What I'm after is something super defensive. That can camp objectives and take some serious punishment. Whilst dishing out some pain at the same time.

I'm used to play ironjawz, running forward and smashing everything but not really caring about objectives. 

What would you guys recommend? Any faction any army not bothered at all. 

Are you looking specifically at death factions, or overall?

For death, our defense is in bodies. Our skeletons, chainrasps, and zombies are weak, but they are cheap and plentiful, and we can bring whole units back with a command point. Skeletons are my favorite, and do well with an ossific diadem wielding hero for an extra 6+ damage mitigation roll, or in legion of night, where they get a +1 to their save if in your deployment zone.

If looking at overall armies, you could look into fyreslayers with their many 4++ saves, sylvaneth with their easy access to minuses to hit and deployable cover, stormcast with their high number of wounds, good save, and lots of heroes with ways to boost survivability, and nurgle with their disgusting resilience and high number of wounds.

My 2 cents is the sylvaneth. Several viable builds that can all be 1 drop in a mega battalion. Alarielle and branchwraiths to summon more bodies. Dryads are super hard to shift off of objectives, and you can teleport/use battalion shenanigans to get where you want to be. Your woods block line of sight for shooting and their presence alone can scare your opponents into doing something they may not have originally wanted.

5 hours ago, Graywater said:

Are you looking specifically at death factions, or overall?

Good write up there...

also, if you want to play king of the hill: seraphon are nasty.

You can play tower defense with bastillodons and razorbacks pretty crazy shooting, a lot of rerolling with the astral banner and chameleon skinks are brutally annoying skirmishers. Also the slann can summon like crazy with the engine and then teleport units around the battlefield. 

But of course .40cal skelli block, flanked by 3x10 dire wolves with  corpse cart, necromancer and vampirelord is a solid foundation for 970 points. And it is beautiful and fluffy and strong 

Legions of Nagash can be great with the right positioning. Nighthaunt can also be surprisingly tanky thanks to the ethereal rule. That that’s only against high rend models.

Death armies tend to situationally tanky. If you must turn to a heretic army then I suggest Nurgle or Syvaneth they can get themselves a lot of regen.

Archived