Firestorm Campaign

Phil D

Not sure if this is the place for this question, but I am thinking of buying Firestorm and running a campaign for myself and my son.

I mainly play against him or at  narrative tournaments at WHW. The plan is for a campaign where my SCE Stormhost, the Gregorians, are trying to recapture the Flamescar Plateau from Khorgus Khull and his Chaos hordes. It will be after Soul Wars so we can use the magic rules to give us both practice for any tournaments we play in, in the future. I have seen some videos where players have played a Firestorm Campaign and they say that after a few games, around 5 or 6, the armies become very unbalanced points wise. In one game I saw, 900 points of Death were pitched against 2000 points of Chaos. Needless to say the game lasted about 40 minutes and was very one sided after the first turn.

My question is, is this other peoples experience of Firestorm? Does it depend on the choices you make about your build and muster points etc. or is it just an unfortunate consequence of the game? Also does it work as a two player game or do you need four players/armies?

Any help before I buy would be much appreciated.

• Like 1

I'm playing a firestorm campaign at my local store, and the games do get unbalanced. We remedied this a bit by using open war cards/rules from core rulebook to give the disadvantaged player a leg up. Also, if the games are narrative, you can always have the player down points be the "defender" by giving them some defensive terrain. Not sure if it would easily translate to two player, but it could probably work with some tweaks. 

Im with @Pariah, go for it. It’s too much fun to miss out on. So go for it and use open war cards to help the disadvantaged player if the difference becomes to great. 

Also maybe simplify the win conditions so it’s less games, so even if it becomes unbalanced you can still finish it before it’s too much. 

As for two players. Logistically so much easier 😁 but you miss out on more varied opponents but due to your narrative... thats perfectly fine. 

• 2 months later...

I'm running a Firestorm campaign with my boys, and both of them have acquired enough build points to have the +8 Muster Point card.... which they almost always draw against me. So my fights are usually ~1100 points vs. 1700+. It's tricky! But it can be fun! Stick to narrative battleplans and use the Open War Ruses and Sudden Death rules if anyone falls more than 500 points behind, and it helps even things up.

Despite being at a significant disadvantage in most games at the moment, I'm still having a blast!

• Like 1

Recently we started a large firestorm campaign with 11 people and played on first round of it (every round will be 2 weeks) and points difference was about 200-300 points mostly, the good thing with stormcast-khorne match up is that stormcast can counter almost anything khorne brings so even blood tithe summoning might not make games one-sided

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Namelessone81 said:

We want to start the firestorm campaign in our local store too but we are I think 8 so my question is how do you do it if there are more than 4 players ?

Since we have 2 weeks rounds with one battle that counts we just have host of campaign draw for us and send photos to players

23 minutes ago, XReN said:

Since we have 2 weeks rounds with one battle that counts we just have host of campaign draw for us and send photos to players

You could even put the map in photoshop, add icons  and colour the provinces, showing their owner. Sent it out like a pic.

Would still need to print out cards, though, so people can draw randomly before a battle.

40 minutes ago, Mutter said:

You could even put the map in photoshop, add icons  and colour the provinces, showing their owner. Sent it out like a pic.

Would still need to print out cards, though, so people can draw randomly before a battle.

Already have that

2hNiUVKbrcc.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mutter said:

Great stuff. :)

Would love to get updates how you're getting on. I used to run map-based campaigns for years for WHFB, but haven't done so for AoS. Still, I'm a sucker for campaigns.

Cool, I think I'll make a blog about our campaign then to keep the updates for it in one place (and also put some translation in it, since I don't think many people here know Russian)

Edited by XReN
  • Thanks 2

• 6 months later...