Hallowed Knights: Black Pyramid Now with Review!

Austin

Loved it, get it and read it now if you have any interest in the ongoing AoS story.

Black Pyramid is a direct follow-up to Plague Garden, and as far as I can tell exists approximately at the same time as Soul Wars.  Now in fairness I should say that I think Soul Wars is important reading, but I personally think something was lacking in that novel.  It felt like a very well written tie-in, and was lacking the something special that I have taken from the books that Josh Reynolds writes about the Hallowed Knights.  Like I said, you should read it, but don't expect it to be like the other novels (although some parts of it shine).

Back to Black Pyramid.  As others have said in this thread, the characters are brilliant.  Gardus is my favorite character in AoS, hands down.  He continues to grow with each novel, and I am excited (and a little worried) to see where his arc goes.  I don't know that I have ever worried about a character in Warhammer novels before.  I am starting to have a theory that each of the various Stormhosts contain a specific part of Sigmar's personality, and as they get older/reforged more the more Sigmar's power takes over vs their humanity.

Throughout all of Josh Reynold's novels there is a theme of revealing more of the personality of Stormhosts and how others view them.  Shadespire has a good bit of that, as does Soul Wars.  Maybe one of the best, most arresting parts of this novel is when a Freeguild soldier starts to think about how she might become a Stormcast, and she is NOT happy about it.  Interesting to say the least.  The Lord-Ordinator is a fun character, definitely comes off as a professor who occasionally has to smash heads so he can get back to doing what he loves which is building.

Ghosteater, our favorite lion headed spectral consuming Gor, what a guy.  Not what you would expect at all, his intelligence and planning throughout the novel are fun to read.   

The various factions in the novel are well done.  The death dwarves had me sold from the start, the descriptions of the Slaaneshi warband, the politicking of the Freeguild were all on the money.  The Freeguild has a prominent role in the story and I am glad to see it.  The city of Caddow feels alive, on the same level as Excelsis in City of Secrets.

My one negative with the novel is this: I still feel like there is a bit too much set-up and not enough conclusion.  It is sort of an ending to get back Tarsus- but not really.  Who knows what will happen with him next.  What will happen to Ramus? I can only assume these questions and others are being left unanswered for more novels, which is great because well, I like this series.  But- I want some of the big questions answered.  There is only so much of the 'Sigmar has a plan' that I can take.  Hopefully, we get some real conclusions soon.

That aside, I cannot recommend this novel enough.  There is something in here for everyone, and (I think I said this last review) Josh is getting better and better.  A bright future for AoS fiction for sure.

I am very excited for the book, I just finished Plague Garden two months ago so it’s all still very fresh in my mind. @JReynolds posted a really interesting series of tweets hyping up the content of the book.

Looks like it will tie up loose threads and delve deeper into the daily reality of the Realms than any book since City of Secrets!

• 4 weeks later...

Was about to make a topic about this book...yes the thread is a month old but I just finished it. After reading it I want two things. 

1.A Ghosteater book

2. A Mannfred series. 

This book along with the hallowed knights audio drama series has literally should I say "rebuilt" Mannfred in my eyes. I always liked him but in AOS? He is bloody great. 

Ghosteater is one of the Chaos baddies in the book. He’s Beastlord who can literally eat the soul of an enemy and it lives on in him, they then impart knowledge and wisdom to him that makes him a threat well beyond what a normal Beastlord can manage. 

• Austin changed the title to Hallowed Knights: Black Pyramid Now with Review!

Alright finally have time to sit down and do a review.  Spoilers follow.

Loved it, get it and read it now if you have any interest in the ongoing AoS story.

Black Pyramid is a direct follow-up to Plague Garden, and as far as I can tell exists approximately at the same time as Soul Wars.  Now in fairness I should say that I think Soul Wars is important reading, but I personally think something was lacking in that novel.  It felt like a very well written tie-in, and was lacking the something special that I have taken from the books that Josh Reynolds writes about the Hallowed Knights.  Like I said, you should read it, but don't expect it to be like the other novels (although some parts of it shine).

Back to Black Pyramid.  As others have said in this thread, the characters are brilliant.  Gardus is my favorite character in AoS, hands down.  He continues to grow with each novel, and I am excited (and a little worried) to see where his arc goes.  I don't know that I have ever worried about a character in Warhammer novels before.  I am starting to have a theory that each of the various Stormhosts contain a specific part of Sigmar's personality, and as they get older/reforged more the more Sigmar's power takes over vs their humanity.

Throughout all of Josh Reynold's novels there is a theme of revealing more of the personality of Stormhosts and how others view them.  Shadespire has a good bit of that, as does Soul Wars.  Maybe one of the best, most arresting parts of this novel is when a Freeguild soldier starts to think about how she might become a Stormcast, and she is NOT happy about it.  Interesting to say the least.  The Lord-Ordinator is a fun character, definitely comes off as a professor who occasionally has to smash heads so he can get back to doing what he loves which is building.

Ghosteater, our favorite lion headed spectral consuming Gor, what a guy.  Not what you would expect at all, his intelligence and planning throughout the novel are fun to read.   

The various factions in the novel are well done.  The death dwarves had me sold from the start, the descriptions of the Slaaneshi warband, the politicking of the Freeguild were all on the money.  The Freeguild has a prominent role in the story and I am glad to see it.  The city of Caddow feels alive, on the same level as Excelsis in City of Secrets.

My one negative with the novel is this: I still feel like there is a bit too much set-up and not enough conclusion.  It is sort of an ending to get back Tarsus- but not really.  Who knows what will happen with him next.  What will happen to Ramus? I can only assume these questions and others are being left unanswered for more novels, which is great because well, I like this series.  But- I want some of the big questions answered.  There is only so much of the 'Sigmar has a plan' that I can take.  Hopefully, we get some real conclusions soon.

That aside, I cannot recommend this novel enough.  There is something in here for everyone, and (I think I said this last review) Josh is getting better and better.  A bright future for AoS fiction for sure.

Archived