Battle for the Christmas Ham

So my club in the SF Bay Area has a tradition of an invite-only mini-tournament called The Battle for the Christmas Ham. It's a 3 game, booze soaked, gift giving tournament, traditionally with silly rules and low levels of play. The Overall Award is an actual Christmas Ham. This will be the first year of reviving the tradition since AoS dropped, as our club was hit pretty hard by the death of 8th and it's taken us some time to rebuild. Anyway, the tournament will be taking place in The Realm of Christmas, so I figured I'd share the backstory and realm rules, in case anyone else wanted to play some games in Solstyr!

Note: I'm not looking for notes or critiques. I realize the rules are inherently unbalanced. That's the point!

Realm2.png

Ham2.png

13 minutes ago, DINOSTAR said:

These realm rules are excellent!  How many years has this been running?  I've been thinking of how to run fun tournaments in my own place and this is a great idea starter!

So the tradition was actually started by one of our members, Johnny, and his buddy Casey in Texas when they were growing up. When Johnny moved to the Bay he turned it into a tournament to keep the tradition alive. This is probably the 6th or so Ham we've done, but it was on hiatus for 3 years.

3 minutes ago, SlaaneshCultist said:

Also, I got a request on Twitter for a template for the Realm Rules, so figured I'd post here. Here's a PSD. You'll need the fonts Minion Pro in Medium and Italic and Pompei STD in Bold and Demi Bold.

Realm2.psd

1. I want to totally steal this and run it with our gaming group.

2. As a designer, the fact that your PSD has properly labeled and folder-ed layers is almost better than the rules.

1 minute ago, Euphanism said:

1. I want to totally steal this and run it with our gaming group.

2. As a designer, the fact that your PSD has properly labeled and folder-ed layers is almost better than the rules.

Hahaha! You can thank my partner, who happens to be a graphic designer. If it wasn't for her influence it would be a complete mess of unlabeled mishmash in any order they were randomly created in. I'm sure she'd still have approximately 7000 notes on how I could better achieve what I'd set out to do and how to better organize it.

And if you do run your own Battle for the Christmas Ham, take pics and share them! I'd love for the tradition to spread!

Archived