Fanmade Monsters of Destruction Battletome

EMMachine

Hi,

after GW will bring the Trollking as Order on Demand, I made a little fun und put the warscrolls of Troggoths and Gargants (including forgeworld and some noneexistent warscrolls) together als a Fanmade Monsters of Destruction Battletome (it's a pdf on my google drive).

Like in my other cases I have some problems making Allegiance Abilities for them, but if they don't have there own they can still use the Destruction Allegiance Abilities.

Do you have some feedback or other ideas?

I did a stint of giants, named the Citycrusher Gargants, whose special ability was the ability to destroy terrain and gain points from it for ignoring their damage profiles.

I've also got a document of Trolls whose thing is that they are mutable; you can give units new keywords every turn from a list, and those keywords give bonuses.  They've also got a summoning mechanic, which is actually resurrecting your previously-slain dudes.  Troggoth Regeneration, y'all.

While the Citycrushers are on here, the Troggoths are not, and neither have been developed into full rules sets; they're more of a spitball idea list.

One thing I would say with roster building is that it feels a little hollow in terms of personality. The number of boulder/rock throwing units with little in terms of role individualisation whilst filling out the roster doesn’t give me the same sense of wacky variety that makes the destruction alliance such a rich roster

@Melcavuk

Well, in case of the Throggoth Boulderthrowers. The Idea was mostly because of these models

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rockgut-Troggoth-3

http://whfb-de.lexicanum.com/wiki/Datei:Troll_(Plastik).jpg

Or perhaps him, if he get's a rock.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Blood-Bowl-Troll

And in case of the gargant, I thought about a mix of the Cygor and the giants of albion

http://whfb-de.lexicanum.com/wiki/Riesen_(Albion)

I have a model of a giant leadbelcher too (a gargant with the cannon of the ironblaster) but it doesn't make much difference to a rockthrowers.

13 hours ago, EMMachine said:

@Melcavuk

Well, in case of the Throggoth Boulderthrowers. The Idea was mostly because of these models

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rockgut-Troggoth-3

http://whfb-de.lexicanum.com/wiki/Datei:Troll_(Plastik).jpg

Or perhaps him, if he get's a rock.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Blood-Bowl-Troll

And in case of the gargant, I thought about a mix of the Cygor and the giants of albion

http://whfb-de.lexicanum.com/wiki/Riesen_(Albion)

I have a model of a giant leadbelcher too (a gargant with the cannon of the ironblaster) but it doesn't make much difference to a rockthrowers.

Maybe its a naming convention, personally when I read through anything it comes down to feeling excited about each unit entry. Having gone through the various boulder throwers after about two it felt a tad repetitive (personal opinion only). Perhaps one boulder throwing unit where you can mix the troggoths within to gain various special rules? 

And yeah the Cygor model I used as a basis for my own Cyclops conversion back in the day, its a fantastic model. Here a different name and a more unique ability would differentiate it enough to be more eciting and engaging,

For the cannon bearing Gargant to differentiate it I would go for a massive short range attack using it as a blunderbuss and turn it into an anti horde weapon leaving your boulder throwers as the longer ranged variant.

20 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

Maybe its a naming convention, personally when I read through anything it comes down to feeling excited about each unit entry. Having gone through the various boulder throwers after about two it felt a tad repetitive (personal opinion only). Perhaps one boulder throwing unit where you can mix the troggoths within to gain various special rules? 

The only point I made multiple units is because GW made 3 units that do mostly the same (exept for one specialrule). I actually think this could be done with one Warscroll instead (this would bring the warscroll count down from 11 to 8).
In the end even GW decision with the Troggoth rules are quite strange after -1 to hit in combat of Fellwatertroggoths is most of the time, better than the "killing blow" aftersave of the Sourbreath Troggoths and the aftersave against magic of the Rockguts.

Actually there could be different melee weapons per model, after there were models with twohanded weapons as well as one handed ones.

Or bringing back chaos troggoths as some sort of Berserkers.

I made this first version, so there is one before the troggoth King is buyable, but there is still much stuff to do, and more feedback would be nice,

In terms of Aleguzzler variants, if you wanted to add more to them there are currently a number of kits I have used previously in order to flesh them out:

Combine the wooden sticks into a long staff and mount a skull from box of skulls, make a suitably fancy headdress: Aleguzzle Stormbreath (Massively destructive wizard that functions more like a Thundertusks shooting attack, all raw power with no discipline)

Bloodthirster kit minus wings (Aleguzzler Runt), smaller, faster and more coordinated but weaker, weirdly if you lop the wings off this guy he's not close to the size of the giant.

Ettin Alechucker - Using the spare heads to turn a normal giant into a two headed monstrocity and have him launching the barrels down the field.

Cyclops (already mentioned above, use spare heads and feet to turn Cygor into Cyclops)

and for the HQ
Storm Titan Overlord (Use magnus, lop off wings, feet transplant. Last of a Dying breed of intellegent Giants now left to merely marshall the rabble)

So, just made some little changes with Version 0.6

I made the 3 Troggoth Warscrolls to 1 called (Troggoth Grunt). There was also an error that some of the Troggoth Units had 5 Wounds instead of 4.

I made the 2 Troggoth Bolderthrowers to 1

The Gargant Boulder Thrower is now the Cyclops

And some new units added.

Troggoth Berzerker (slightly better fighters, thought about the chaos troll models (even if those are rare to get) or Troggoths with two weapons on any model.

Gargant Thunderer (the guy with the massive cannon)

Stormcaller (Gargant Wizard thats basicly a the magnus idea).

Not sure it the points are fitting. And hadn't updated the Path to Glory list, yet. It could be actually a little problematic that every unit needs two rolls (mainly because GW making 2 rolls at the point mark of 160 Points and 3 rolls for units that cost about 280 Points (see Varanguard). Maybe if I would bring the troggoth units down to 2 models instead of 3 to I could get them to 1 roll.

Edit:

Also, I ordered Throgg yesterday.

What do you think about the way they ruled the vomit in his legends scroll?

Looking much cleaner in the latest iteration, can definitely see this shaping up into a solid tome.

There's a typo in the Grunt section where it refers to them as a Thrower unit. Have you considered taking the individual troggoth racial abilities out of the Warscroll and moving them into the allegiance abilites, and lets be fair the Rockgut one needs to be better because GW just wrote that one badly.

So your allegiance abilities would be:

TROGGOTH units within this army can come from a Myriad of subspecies, each honed to survive in the harsh environments from which they hail. Whilst Azyrian Biologists are still catalogueing their many varieties a few of note have come to light. Any TROGGOTH units with the corresponding key words gain the abilities listed below:

FELLWATER
Foul Stench - Your Opponent must subtract 1 from any hit rolls made by one of their models that targets a FELLWATER TROGGOTH in the combat phase.

SOURBREATH
Too Dumb to Die: Roll a dice each time a SOURBREATH TROGGOTH suffers a wound or moral wound that would slay it. On a 4 or more that wound or moral wound is negated.

ROCKGUT
Rocks for Brains: Roll a dice each time a ROCKGUT TROGGOTH suffers a wound, on a roll of 6 or more that wound is ignored. 

This gives you the potential variation of having a ROCKGUT Troggoth Hag etc so amplifies the modelling potential 3 fold, it also saves you repeating the same wording on multiple Troggoth warscrolls throughout the faction.

Stormcaller

I might be inclined to switch the TO HIT and TO WOUND rolls around on this model or just up the TO WOUND to 3+, currently he's dexterous but hits no harder than an Aelf which is worrying due to his immense size. I'd also be tempted to add in either a stomp attack, some kind of armour sundering ability or just... something, currently the Giant has the edge that he stuff things into his bag. Potential abilities (Biting the head off of foes, heals himself. Throwing Warmachines or Behemoths he destroys into a nearby enemy unit (a combat phase shooting attack which is quite nice).

Spells looking good but he needs something... more abilitywise.

Gargant king

18 Attacks may well be the most I have every seen a single model produce for a single weapon (I'm sure some mounts with a dozen riders come close), currently fluffwise he's essentially whack-a-moling at 90 miles an hour but hits like a manling. I'd give him a better weapon (rend, higher damage) but drastically reduce the number of attacks as currently he's just bucket of dicing and doesnt seem logical, give the weapon a cool unique name (Hammer of the Mountain, Storms Roar etc something to make him stand out from the normal Gargant aside from the number of dice), and maybe throw in a command ability that makes nearby gargants not fall over when rolling a doubles. "Brutal Sobriety"

Cyclops

I'd be tempted to give this guy a boost to the shooting attack, something like:

"First Rock of the Avalanche" - Some Cyclops manage to build up such crushing momentum with their boulders that they continue on their path days after the battle has ended. An unmodified hit roll of 6 when completing a Dessecrated Boulder attack generates 2 hits instead of one. Resolve wounds and saves as normal.

So, I changed the typo. This was a copy/paste error.

Using the Troggoth races as part of the Allegiance like Stormcast Eternals use Stormhosts etc. would be interesting idea mostly because it would clear the warscroll up a little. I think the main problem with Troggoths is that they are the most stupid creatures known (when I remember the Malign Portents story that was printed in the White Dwarf, featuring a Troggoth).

To the Stormcaller, it could be a missconception but I thought, it would be a little harder to wound with a sort of "mage staff" instead of massive Club. I know, in case of Abilities there is something missing.

to the Gargant king. The huge amount of attacks is actually the rule of the Battalion "Sons of Behemat" from Godbeasts. The Model that becomes the leader gets the hightest role result instead of rolling. That was the first fast idea for him. An Ability or command ability that let's Gargants ignore or rer-roll the Drunken Stagger would actually be interesting.

To the Cyclops.I think the main problem is, I took my orientation from the Cygor, and he doen't have any special rules on the Boulderattack. My first thought was something that it makes more hits/more damage on larger units like we have seen for the Grot Scraplauncher.

Doesn’t the cygor have a specific to hit bonus against wizards when chucking his boulder (or might be all attacks). It was the absence of this that made me feel he’d lost something but gained nothing back.

for the harder to hurt with the wizard staff. Do bear in mind the staff is still 20foot long  and wider than a man :P event normal wizard staves in sigmar are 3+ to wound and D3 damage and that’s when not wielded by a giant 

7 minutes ago, Melcavuk said:

Doesn’t the cygor have a specific to hit bonus against wizards when chucking his boulder (or might be all attacks). It was the absence of this that made me feel he’d lost something but gained nothing back.

for the harder to hurt with the wizard staff. Do bear in mind the staff is still 20foot long  and wider than a man :P event normal wizard staves in sigmar are 3+ to wound and D3 damage and that’s when not wielded by a giant 

Hm ... right. You mean the "Ghostsight" rule. It's actually a rule for all Cygor Attacks.

Fair enough, we actually have to think, that most wizards have only 1 attack. Actually I could do Rend -2 and/or Damage 3. What I don't want is, that the Stave is a better Massive club in everything.

Another idea for an Gargant King Ability. How about a bubble, that let's the Gargants re-roll Random rolls for Attacks? "Put some effort in to it, boys"

• 2 months later...

It's actually funny, that the Gloomspite Gitz Battletome, gives us partly something like the "Monsters of Destruction" Battletome. Let's see if I should bring the fanmade battletome further or if the new Battletome will handle it.

I think I can use my stuff mostly exept for the Troggoth King and my Gargant Thunderer. This is the stuff I have at the moment (at the moment I think the Dankhold Throgboss and the new Troggoths are a compulsory purchase).

N6e1IoH7syJj8vWh3aIKBuvY7cjJVhDwxGXelXzY

The Thunderer is quite ugly because it was my first Giant (of my Orks & Goblins army from 2008, which I didn't stripped of the colors and converted him later to be an Ironblaster for my Ogre Kingdoms, but never finished him as part of that.

1P826tOd0fRnb2OGbANCH6IpPRsD83Hedhfe2id9

4cv59ZAkzEw8Pv3vOYkjdWfz7V1RBlpilT_1EnNY

Archived