Game aids, accessories - a collected reference and reviews

Overread

We all use different things to aid our games and for accessories and I figured it would be neat to have a singe reference resource where we can share our experiences and help each other out - esp when it comes to noticing some 3rd party options that we might not all be aware of. Note for the ease of keeping it concise this should stick to game aids rather than painting or modelling aides/tools (as that's a whole separate topic unto itself). 

1) KR Multicast Accessory case review https://warminiatures.wordpress.com/2018/08/01/kr-multicase-review/
Review and photos in my blog - otherwise a summary is that its well worth it, giving you a neat case that holds a good body of dice and other things as well as a flat retractable tape measure. Plus when you open it up you've got yourself a smart dice tray to roll into. 

2) Age of Sigmar Warscroll Cards - old style. Many armies have old style warscroll cards where the words are printed on in portrait aspect. Most of these GW no longer sells, but many 3rd party stores still have them. Whilst they are well made and of a good overall size, the fact that the info is printed in portrait aspect means that the font is very small and that a lot of the lower half of many is empty space. Overall they are a neat idea, but a bit fiddly as the text is very small. Worthwhile to have, but honestly I'd wait and see if GW is going to reprint them in landscape aspect as they have been doing with things like the Endless Spell cards (that come in the Malign Sorcery boxed set along with the Endless spell models), which use a larger font and a far easier to reference and read.
Note that GW sells many of the faction ones along with a pop-out selection of card counters for various status effects. These are well thought out in general and fitted to the army. GW has clearly taken time to sort out what abilities are suitable and need counters and what don't as well as throwing in extras for certain abilities/effects that we are likely or at least even able to have more than one of running at a time. These are great to have and a handy item for tracking changes for your army. If GW re-releases warscrolls in landscape aspect for your faction and adds in these cards too then I'd say they are a very solid purchase. 

3) Age of Sigmar Combat Gauge. This is a simple combat gauge which has the standard half inch, one inch, two and three inch sides. Ideal for slipping into tight er spots and measuring common attack range distances on the board, where the tap measure can be harder to get into position, or just take longer to use. The AoS official one is made from metal and I think that makes a lot of difference. Not only is it more durable than some plastics, but it feels weighty in the hand and nicer to own than a plastic one (even though plastic or any other material is still just as accurate). It's more pricey, being as it is metal, but should last decades. Well worth it in my view if you want to treat yourself to one. 

4) GW Faction Dice (note these are larger than dice-cube dice)- for a range of factions (my experience based on Daughters of Khaine). I won't speak about random rolling nature (this is a whole minefield of its own). These are chunkier dice and feel good in the hand; although if you are running a hoard army you might find more standard, smaller D6 easier to use for those rolls as you can hold more in the hand. I also find that, being larger, you have to put a little more flick or force on them to get them to tumble and roll around nice. Nice dice and good fun to have some themed dice, wish they were a touch smaller, but otherwise good. 

GW also makes a selection of status dice for AOS, including unit status, wounds and terrain type (for warscroll terrain). Personally I don't own these, but can see great use for the wound dice for models with more than 6 wounds for easy counting and tracking of multiwound monsters and characters.

Aware of but not purchased:

WoodlandKing Counters : https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/the_woodlandking?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2754

I've not bought any of these as yet, however I've noticed them and think that, for UK customers at least, they are worth having a look at. Not only does the maker have a set series of tokens for each army, but they also do custom ones as well. So you can get tokens made up to your needs for the game. Several of them are based on equipment so could be good if you've got some warscrolls and you can put the counters on to remind you of gear/items/spells your characters have (as opposed to, say, consulting your army list). 

Did you ever get the like 35$ objective bundle? It’s got like the floating chained crystal, the sarcophagus, the statue head with an axe in it and so on....

That seems ultra worth it considering how many times in a real GW store people are scrounging around for objective markers and end up using really weird stuff like paint pots, literal pogs, and other strange items lol. 

17 hours ago, Ravinsild said:

Did you ever get the like 35$ objective bundle? It’s got like the floating chained crystal, the sarcophagus, the statue head with an axe in it and so on....

That seems ultra worth it considering how many times in a real GW store people are scrounging around for objective markers and end up using really weird stuff like paint pots, literal pogs, and other strange items lol. 

I was thinking the same thing.  I think if the pyramid chains aren't glued to the bases, you could probably remove them if a model needed to stand on the objective.

Archived