Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

13 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I hope its not the beginning of the end for Chaos Dwarfs, and merely just something affecting that specific mould.

Big hat CDs were my army as a kid - prior to my 18-year hiatus from the hobby - so I am delighted they are not only a "thing", but better developed than most factions.

However, I have two main issues:

(1) Fyreslayers have kind of seized their "fire/magma dwarf" USP, which should push LoA more in an industrial direction to maintain a unique place in this new world.

In fact, if I was Forgeworld, I would have sent the Kdaai Fireborn and Magma Dragon over to Fyreslayers after that release. The new keywords don't need to be tied to the old game IMHO (e.g. Sisters of the Watch, etc.).

(2) The LoA range has too much organic skin for my tastes, with the various Bull Centaurs and every war machine having slave ogres.

Not only am I bad at painting skin, but I feel it detracts from that very industrial and metallic "welding mask" look of the army.

Basically, I would prefer everything to be clad in iron.

I don't think they're going to get squatted soon.  I pray for a specific Allegiance, since general CHAOS doesn't fit the flavor and wouldn't be worth it if it wasn't for CUNNING DECEIVER!  

Why would they release Shar'tor and a new bundle within the past year, with updated rules in August, if they weren't planning on expanding the range?  The fact that Drazhoath and Shar'tor have survived GHB2017 while the other compendium characters have not, renews my hope in further support in the coming years.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, Browncoat89 said:

lol it's far fetched but maybe maybe we will get the Adeptus Custodes treatment :P

Don't play with my heart ;w;

In all seriousness though, I'd absolutely love a new Battletome, literally all the models are there that we need, just maybe give us updated hobgrot rules and such so we can still have our slaves and we're gold.

My relief is tempered by aggravation.  The eBay model is missing arms from both drivers, which would have driven me insane for eternity and caused countless wasted hours trying to model replacements out of green stuff.  But someone at FW deserves to be packed off to Azgorh with a hot brass mask after the choice of words used to update the website.

Thanks for the update.

So how strong this army is? Can it match new AOS armies? I am halfway through building SCE aetherstrike force and would love to have LoA as the second army to field against them at home to show my friends this awesome game. I am just a little afraid, that poor dwarves will just stand there and watch longstrikes shooting them into oblivion.

21 minutes ago, Trayanee said:

So how strong this army is? Can it match new AOS armies? I am halfway through building SCE aetherstrike force and would love to have LoA as the second army to field against them at home to show my friends this awesome game. I am just a little afraid, that poor dwarves will just stand there and watch longstrikes shooting them into oblivion.

They're pretty well rounded, with a good mix of range, mortal wounds, warmachines, and the Bull Centaurs hit like a truck and have better speed than the rest of the nub legged dwarves. You can build out an army to suit almost any play style, but some work better than others. I've won about 50% of the games I've played, usually beat death and have had some issues with some order factions, but always enjoyed it. Stormcast did give me some issues, but we were still learning and the guy kept "tweaking" the rules to favor him.

The army can be damn expensive to collect and build, but they are beautiful models and I've really enjoyed putting them together and painting them as my first Army.

1 hour ago, Trayanee said:

They're pretty balanced, but mobility is their weakness.  The centaurs and behemoth warmachines are fast and hit hard, and the infantry are durable yet slow.  You can match new armies, but for some matched play games you're at a disadvantage and need to play your centaurs properly and align your infantry the right way - and pray that your magma melts everything!

Thanks for answers. I guess I will try and start a small army to see how I like them. Reading here I came to impression that Magma Cannons are decent war machines so a pair of them and a daemonsmith should be a good start. What about the HQs? I dont like Draz much but Shar´tor looks great and his warscroll too. Is he a good general too? The command ability isnt exactly grat to me.

20 hours ago, Trayanee said:

I dont like Draz much but Shar´tor looks great and his warscroll too. Is he a good general too? The command ability isnt exactly grat to me.

I'm just starting the army myself, but I've seen this topic discussed repeatedly while reading this thread from the start.  In short, Drazhoath tends to be better reviewed (because of his mobility) than Shar'tor (whose command ability is not as good as the Taur'uk).  Page back and check out the discussion by Ben Curry of his preferred 2000 point line up.  He offers an explanation of the army list/points and then his rational and battle report a couple days apart--very informative.

On balance, the advice for "centaur" lists is to have Taur'uk as general.  Otherwise, Drazhoath at 1500 or 2000 points.  At 1000 points, recommended general tends to be Castellan; sometimes Daemonsmith.  Cheers.

On 1/28/2018 at 12:16 AM, Ulgzhakar said:

I'm just starting the army myself, but I've seen this topic discussed repeatedly while reading this thread from the start.  In short, Drazhoath tends to be better reviewed (because of his mobility) than Shar'tor (whose command ability is not as good as the Taur'uk).  Page back and check out the discussion by Ben Curry of his preferred 2000 point line up.  He offers an explanation of the army list/points and then his rational and battle report a couple days apart--very informative.

On balance, the advice for "centaur" lists is to have Taur'uk as general.  Otherwise, Drazhoath at 1500 or 2000 points.  At 1000 points, recommended general tends to be Castellan; sometimes Daemonsmith.  Cheers.

Never have Drazhoath or Shar'tor as your General for multiple reasons:

1. Not being able to take a Command Trait (Cunning Deceiver), cripples the army

2. Drazhoath has no unique Command Ability

3. Shar'tor's unique Command Ability sucks

12 hours ago, Trayanee said:

Ok, so I will add Taur'ruk to my to get list. What about possible allies? Do we have some viable options? I would love to have a way to deep strike ironsworn near objectives but there probably isnt anything like that available right?

Nope. 

You COULD run a unit of 30 Chaos Warriors and teleport them with Sayl the Faithless in a list something like this:

Allegiance: Chaos
Sayl The Faithless (120)
Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Chaos Talisman
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
30 x Chaos Warriors (480)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (100)
10 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (100)
Iron Daemon War Engine (180)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 144

You'd be able to cast 4 spells/turn and with Sayl's rerollable cast, you'd have a decent shot at getting his Traitorous Mist spell off.  The Iron Daemons and Magma Cannons would provide the shooting support needed, and some Ironsworn for guarding your machines.  30 Chaos Warriors with Mystic Shield and Inspiring Presence are tough to shift with Cunning Deceiver up, and will buy you some time to do some work with your war engines.

Are there icon bearer and drummer bits in the fireglaives/ironswon units or do I have to order command unit? And does the drummer/IB carry standard weaponry or I miss on attacks by including them? Thanks a lot again.

Edit: Another one If you dont mind. It seemed to me on some video battle reports that one iron daemon was towing two magma cannons in one turn. Is it possible? The rules seem to state one cannon or deathshrieker etc.

6 hours ago, Trayanee said:

Are there icon bearer and drummer bits in the fireglaives/ironswon units or do I have to order command unit? And does the drummer/IB carry standard weaponry or I miss on attacks by including them? Thanks a lot again.

Edit: Another one If you dont mind. It seemed to me on some video battle reports that one iron daemon was towing two magma cannons in one turn. Is it possible? The rules seem to state one cannon or deathshrieker etc.

You need to purchase the command unit.

All musicians/standard bearers carry the standard equipment of the unit.

It was probably me towing 2 magma cannons in a battle report, and currently you can NOT tow 2 in a turn.  The rule used to specify that they started within x" of the engine and they could be towed, but now it is limited to one.

1 hour ago, FERRUMITE said:

I probably need to search the thread to find my answer, but what’s the general consensus regarding Hobgoblins? Are they legal for Matched play? As I’m very much wanting to convert some hobgoblin wolf rider slaves for my army 

Not legal for matched play.  The Warscroll is in a different Grand Alliance.

7 hours ago, FERRUMITE said:

I probably need to search the thread to find my answer, but what’s the general consensus regarding Hobgoblins? Are they legal for Matched play? As I’m very much wanting to convert some hobgoblin wolf rider slaves for my army 

I emailed FW regarding the substitute warscrolls ages ago on this very matter,  but in my case asking about the hellcannon.

The reply I got was that all substitute warscrolls are considered as having the chaos and Legion keywords.

However...

That was an email from FW, not an "official"  FAQ / Errata.   It's quite a few pages back in this thread and it caused quite a heated and animated reation from one member to the point where I decided that life was more important than getting twisted up about shoving toy soldiers around.

In match play no, totally not.  In friendly games fine- it's totally depends how cool everyone is with it.  I wouldn't have a problem, but I know there are guys who'd lose weeks of sleep over it.

Look at it like this.... the substitute warscrolls are there because the model was never available when the Tamurkhan book was out.  The only exception was the Hellcannon, which at the time was a Warriors of Chaos Model with three chaos dwarf crew members.  In the original Tamurkhan book, the chaos dwarf list included the hellcannon in the army selection, and so it was ported as a substitute warscroll.

The thing to keep in mind with AoS is that the compendiums were written around the model selections available.  Hence the old tamurkhan list with hobgoblins etc were essentially just  written to say "er don't have  a model for X, so use Y"   In all instances it's laziness on the part of FW to not make the very important point of how keywords affect substitutions.

IF FW ever decide to pull their finger out and give us a book of any description then I'm sure everything will just fade away and be re-written to suit the new worlds.   There are those who will rant about compendium armies but ultimately we are still a compendium army, and until the new book lands, I still love me a bit of hellcannon. :)

This list is fun:

Allegiance: Legion of Azgorh
Drazhoath The Ashen (320)
Daemonsmith (100)
- General
- Darkforged Weapon
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Chaos Talisman
30 x Infernal Guard Ironsworn (240)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
10 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (100)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Skullcracker War Engine (200)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)
Magma Cannon (140)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 125

On 2/2/2018 at 3:55 AM, Kaleb Daark said:

IF FW ever decide to pull their finger out and give us a book of any description then I'm sure everything will just fade away and be re-written to suit the new worlds

I can't see how hobgoblins survived the End Times or how, if they did, DZ would suffer any to live... given their betrayal of DZ at the end.

I think we will have to settle for enslaving ordinary marauders, but it would be fun to be able to add "chaos" to greenskin war scrolls with a DZ general.

Archived