Legion Of Azgorh Mega-Thread

Ben

Out of interest what base sizes is everyone using for their Legion infantry?  

I put mine on 32mm's but they get packaged with 25's now.  

The Ironsworn would be quite frightening on 25's  Usually getting twice the amount of models fighting

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've only rebased one of my old plastic Chaos Dwarf warriors so far, used 25 since it seemed much more appropriate to the scale of the model.

Twice as many is a lot, funny to see how much base sizes matter in a game where base sizes don't matter. :) But maybe best not to go there...

I think I've gone off the reservation a bit and put mine on 30s, I like the slighter larger size and it gives me more room to play around with the basing...efficiency in the game doesn't play much of a consideration if i'm honest.

I've signed up for a 2000pt event at the end of the month. I don't have enough Dwarfs to fill that many points, and I've packed away my Greenskinz because we're not on speaking terms at the moment, so I'm going in with a Chaos Grand Alliance supplemented list, a list I've always wanted to do:

Leaders
Beastlord (80)
- Man Render Great Axe
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Great Bray Shaman (100)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Daemonsmith (100)
- Darkforged Weapon
Battleline
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor Blades
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor Blades
10 x Gors (80)
- Gor Blades
10 x Ungors (60)
- Ungor Shortspears & Half Shields
30 x Infernal Guard Fireglaives (300)
- Battleline (Legion of Azgorh)
Units
20 x Bestigors (280)
Behemoths
Cygor (200)
War Machines
Magma Cannon (140)
Deathshrieker (120)
Iron Daemon (200)
Battalions
Furious Brayherd (60)
Total: 1880/2000

So there's 120 points for me to work with - I'm pretty sure I want to bring everything on this list so far. I'm thinking about bringing a Castellan, Daemon Smith, another Beastlord or Bray Shaman. Any suggestions there? The Castellan could make the Fireglaives super nasty, and there's enough fodder to keep them out of close combat. The Beastlord would make the Bestigors extra killy, though that might be relying on a more unreliable unit. 10 more Gors might be an option - I'd need to pick some up. I'm leaning toward the Castellan, because he could benefit the Shriek and Iron Daemon too, which have more potential than Gors and Ungors.

Part of the plan is to summon in the Cygor with the Bray Shaman, and use him to take out any nasty wizards that might cause trouble, if necessary. Use the filthy goats to capture objectives and block for the more important stuff - exactly how the Dwarfs would treat them. Etc. Etc.

Thoughts? I'll report back after the tourn, or if I get a chance to try it out before then.

On 4 februari 2017 at 10:37 AM, Ben said:

I'm not sure you get to reroll 1's on the Magmas.  They don't make a 'to hit' roll.

Damn, Then i played em wrong. And as you say they dont do a to hit roll they just roll a dice and thats the wound count so its not a to hit roll. 

A couple of weeks ago I sent an email to asking the following:

In the compendium with reference to the Hellcannon, we are advised to use the warscroll in the warriors of chaos compendium.

I appreciate that there is not FAQ at the moment, but I would like to ask whether the cannon would have the Legion of Azgorh keyword as well as its existing keywords as it was in the Tamurkhan as a Chaos dwarf army list item.

Today I received a reply which I thought I'd share:

Thank you for your email. Until any FAQ is released, count the Hellcannon as having the Legion of Azgorh Keyword.

:)

Well golly.

I hope they get on that FAQ.

On 2/7/2017 at 4:30 PM, Kaleb Daark said:

Sounds Good Furious. I'd go with the castellan as he can turn the fireglaives into wrecking balls in their own right, and fits nicely into 120 points.

What dwarf models are you short of?

I'm not sure - I'm converting up some K'Daai and Bull Centaurs. I'm not sure what direction I want to go with Ironsworn - 20 seems enough for one unit (which is how many I have), so I think I'll go for 2x20 FGs, 1x20 Ironsworn in a 2000pt list - so I'm short 10 FGs. I'm good for characters, and have some leftover bodies to convert a Daemonsmith and banner bearer. But for sure, what I'd want to add, is another of each of the Magma Cannon and Deathshrieker. I don't have eyes for the Mortar (too big and expensive of a model for me, and I'm not blown away by its warscroll) or the Skullcracker (this thing looks like it would perform terribly - anyone use it?).

A few more purchases, but it's mostly just a lot of assembly from here out.

On 11/02/2017 at 6:28 AM, Kaleb Daark said:

A couple of weeks ago I sent an email to asking the following:

Today I received a reply which I thought I'd share:

Thank you for your email. Until any FAQ is released, count the Hellcannon as having the Legion of Azgorh Keyword.

:)

It was never in the Tamurkhan book? Pretty sure it wasn't...that was FW stuff only

On 11/02/2017 at 10:34 AM, Furious said:

Side question - is anyone involved with chaos-dwarfs.com? I've tried to sign up for the forum but haven't received my generated password yet.

I was involved from about 2006 onwards but left it last yr because they refused to give AOS it's own section on the forum, so I went and started my own Facebook group which has about 320 members so far. I rarely go back to CDO now.

57 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

It was never in the Tamurkhan book? Pretty sure it wasn't...that was FW stuff only

Yes it was James, if you look in the Legion of Azgorh army list it showed the hellcannon as part of the available options but referred you to the WoC book for the statline. :)

Just saying - I've gone up against a Hellcannon only twice. And both times that freaking thing did 12 mortal wounds. First time killed my Warboss on Wyvern instantly.

The second time, I positioned myself to take it out as quickly as possible, and my opponent put a line of horrors to prevent a charge. Then it did 12 wounds to my Rogue Idol (which only ended up being six wound to it, but still...). I hate that thing.

Share some pics and stuff!

Speaking of, here are a couple of mine:

20170112_000225.jpg.52f3029e9d13ec785e72ec399be92222.jpg

I tried out the Brayheard mix last week. In short, it went well - I won Border War. The Cygor and Magma Cannon double teamed my opponents Mannfred, while the Fireglaives made short work of the Terrorgheist. Both were defeated in round two, and the rest of the game was Gors slogging through 60 replenishing zombies, Bestigors trying (and failing) to hold off the Mourghul, and the Dwarfs picking off what they could. I liked it - the super mobility of the Beastmen was super useful, especially for the slow, slow Legion.

Up for a local tournament on Saturday. Hope those games go as well as the last one!

I decided to take the Legion to the Sheffield Slaughter this weekend.  

I had a decent result, 3 Major wins and 2 Losses (1 minor, 1 major)

I used;

Drazhoath
Shar'tor
Taur'uk, General, Lord of War, Chaos Talisman
Daemonsmith

6 Bull Centaur Renders
20 Fireglaves
20 Fireglaves
10 Ironsworn
Magma Cannon
Magma Cannon

The Centaurs and characters made a nice battering ram and were able to give me a good buffer to get my shooting up the table and into the juicy targets.

Drazhoath was a tanky as ever and even Shar'tor managed to make it to combat a few times!  

IMG_1753.jpg

@Ben what did you struggle against? I as well played a tournament on the weekend - 1 Maj Win, 1 Min Win and 1 Maj Loss. Beat IJ and mixed destro with some decent wiggle room, but got tabled in the second round by Skybros - not knowing the battalion, I foolishly didn't screen my opponents drops. Cue 6 Starsoul maces making scrap out of my artillery and Iron Daemon.

I ran a Furious Breyheard with my Fireglaives and war machines. Their extra movement is super super helpful in objective grabbing - Border War was secured because I had my Bestigors retreat 12 inches to the capture point in my opponents territory. 

Archived