The Ultimate guide to High Aelves in AoS2

Crono

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/7/2018 at 1:35 PM, Ceranidian said:

Hey guys

I've been playing 40k for a while but WHF High Elves were my first hobby love (even though I never had the patience or money to get a full army together as a kid). Now I'm considering getting into AoS and would like some feedback on the following list

Allegiance: Order
Dragonlord, horn and lance
Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix
Archmage

3x10 Namarti Thralls

3x5 Dragon Blades
20 Phoenix Guard

Dragonlord Host battalion
Total: 1970pts

Like your list, but I would replace the 3 x 10 Namarti Thralls with 3 x 5 Reavers. 
Also I would definetely split up the Phoenix Guard in 2 x 10 Phoenix Guard, not only can you spread them out a bunch, you also get 1 extra Keeper of Flame. And your Banners will be useful, if their units are 8" within each other, boosting them to Bravery 9.  Your list seems to focus greatly on the alpha strike/ deathstar strike, because of taking the horn on the Dragonlord. I would suggest taking the Master of Defence trait at all times, just for the added defence. It will also stack with the Elemental Shield, because it's a different ability and I would run the Realm Chamon in your case to take the Rune Blade artefact on the Dragonlord, turning his lance to -3 rend, absolutely devastating combined with the horn. And the Argent Armour on the Phoenix for a -1 to hit debuff vs the phoenix and ofc with the frost aura of the phoenix itself, this means -1 to hit and -1 to wound. Alternatively run a more defensive Dragonlord  by going with the Realm of Light Hysh. Take the Armoured Cuirrass for the Dragonlord and maybe replace the horn with the shield, that's a personal preference. Than take the Lens of Refraction on the Phoenix, to defend against magic heavy comps, or take the Aetherquartz Brooch to recycle a few command points and use both command abilities. The only thing other than this that I have to mention is... that in all honesty the synergy for your Frostheart Phoenix is rather small(only 1 cast from the Archmage means, if the cast is succesful it will get a max of a 4+ save). I think you are relying to use the command ability of both your phoenix and dragonlord, which might work for 1 turn only, because of the added CP from the battalion, the other turns you are forced to choose between them.  

I did forget to update this thread after Cancon.

i found myself in first position overnight tied for maximum points but had a shocking day 2 and fell down to 50th/200 odd players. 

The Phoenix temple will be taking a break when the Draconis arrive :)

9DD5E900-602B-44AF-B31F-86F934E6CF40.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Crono said:

i found myself in first position overnight tied for maximum points but had a shocking day 2 and fell down to 50th/200 odd players. 

Absolutely amazing models and army! Mind sharing the list here? I'm really curious to what your strategical choices were.

List I might try sometime as alternative to the list Ceranadian posted: 
Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Dragonlord (340)
- General
- Trait: Master of Defense
- Artefact: Mirrored Cuirass
-Wargear: Lance and Shield

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix (280)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction
Archmage (100)
- Steed
Loremaster (140)

Battlelines
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)

Units:
10 x Dragon Blades (280)
10 x Dragon Blades (280)

Battalions
Dragonlord Host (130)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1990/ 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Extra CP: 1
Wounds: 106

Explanation:
This list focuses more on purely order draconis, with some phoenix temple in it and eldritch council.
The list is meant to be a defensive fast moving army, that uses war of attrition. Taking the battalion will allow us to blast 2 dragonfires a turn, have a super fast move in 1 of our turns, which we can straight up use, or keep for the late game and gives us a lot of initiative potential and objective control potential. The Dragonlord will have Re-roll Saves of 4+ with 5+ mortal wound negate and on a 6 deals a mortal to an enemy unit nearby. On top of that it will also have a Wound and Mortal wound negate of a 6+, because of the Master of Defense and possibly another Wound and Mortal Wound negate of 6+ from the Elemental Shield that the Archmage can cast. The Phoenix debuffs the enemy in an aura and guard against incoming spell damage with the Lens of Refraction(I know it's nerfed, but it's still pretty okay). The Archmage will ward our entire army with a 6+ Wound or Mortal wound negate, and feed the Phoenix +1 to save. The Loremaster will target the dragonlord or phoenix(The dragonlord can already make himself and all draconis units around him re-roll hit rolls, but not the wound rolls, the loremaster can make him also re-roll wound rolls, but perhaps the target is better on the phoenix, making the phoenix re-roll all hit and wound rolls on top of the dragonlord having re-rolls to hit). The Loremaster also feeds the phoenix with a +1 to the save. As you can see this list can have a lot of defensive re-rolls and to hit re-rolls(and to wound on 1 unit), while debuffing the enemy with -1 to wound because of the phoenix. The only thing I worry about is the overall punching power of the list, especially since it doesn't include multiple dragonlords or phoenixes. It takes the best of both worlds though. Let me know what you think!

3 hours ago, That Guy said:

Absolutely amazing models and army! Mind sharing the list here? I'm really curious to what your strategical choices were.

3x Annointed on Phoenix. Leader has Strategic Genius and Betrayers Crown

Aventis Firestrike

30 PG

10 PG

10 PG

Cogs

Comet

Long story short, play a very bunkery/reactionary game but know when to be mobile. I had a 50/50 to win round 5 and 6 and lost both :P

6 hours ago, That Guy said:

List I might try sometime as alternative to the list Ceranadian posted: 
Realm: Hysh

Leaders
Dragonlord (340)
- General
- Trait: Master of Defense
- Artefact: Mirrored Cuirass
-Wargear: Lance and Shield

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix (280)
- Artefact: Lens of Refraction
Archmage (100)
- Steed
Loremaster (140)

Battlelines
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)

Units:
10 x Dragon Blades (280)
10 x Dragon Blades (280)

Battalions
Dragonlord Host (130)

Endless Spells
Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 1990/ 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Extra CP: 1
Wounds: 106

Hi all! New to the thread but I've been playing High Elves since 6th Ed. Currently trying to build a Tempest's Eye list in between new battletome releases (oh boy was that Flesh Eaters a needed boost!) but I try to keep an eye on my old armies as they pop up.

@That Guy I like this this. It is fast, it can hard where it needs to and it puts out some decent mortal wounds. The only weakness that seems to stand out is the lack of bodies will make holding objectives hard. Sure the dragon blades will hit like a ton of bricks, but if they get bogged down with a durable unit like plaguebearers or, Sigmar forbid, suffer a round of rubber lances that's going to be a pretty steep loss to come back from. That being said, as you mention, your speed should make it easier for you to chose the combats or use a reaver screen to protect the other. Worth a shot! I'd love to hear a battle report once they have had some time on the table.

Hey guys, new here,

really want to try out some high elf lists, ideally wanted all avoidance, but informed that taking objectives is kinda important, so dropped in some hard hitters.

Leaders
Skywarden (160)
- General
- Swifthawk Pennant
- Trait: Dauntless
Dragon Noble (100)
- Phoenix Banner
- Artefact: Relic Blade

Battleline
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)
5 x Reavers (140)

Units
2 x Skycutters (240)
- Eagle Eye Bolt Thrower
2 x Skycutters (240)
- Eagle Eye Bolt Thrower
10 x Dragon Blades (280)
10 x Dragon Blades (280)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 135

any thoughts or improvements?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 8:27 PM, That Guy said:

Like your list, but I would replace the 3 x 10 Namarti Thralls with 3 x 5 Reavers. 
 Also I would definetely split up the Phoenix Guard in 2 x 10 Phoenix Guard, not only can you spread them out a bunch, you also get 1 extra Keeper of Flame. And your Banners will be useful, if their units are 8" within each other, boosting them to Bravery 9.  Your list seems to focus greatly on the alpha strike/ deathstar strike, because of taking the horn on the Dragonlord. I would suggest taking the Master of Defence trait at all times, just for the added defence. It will also stack with the Elemental Shield, because it's a different ability and I would run the Realm Chamon in your case to take the Rune Blade artefact on the Dragonlord, turning his lance to -3 rend, absolutely devastating combined with the horn. And the Argent Armour on the Phoenix for a -1 to hit debuff vs the phoenix and ofc with the frost aura of the phoenix itself, this means -1 to hit and -1 to wound. Alternatively run a more defensive Dragonlord  by going with the Realm of Light Hysh. Take the Armoured Cuirrass for the Dragonlord and maybe replace the horn with the shield, that's a personal preference. Than take the Lens of Refraction on the Phoenix, to defend against magic heavy comps, or take the Aetherquartz Brooch to recycle a few command points and use both command abilities. The only thing other than this that I have to mention is... that in all honesty the synergy for your Frostheart Phoenix is rather small(only 1 cast from the Archmage means, if the cast is succesful it will get a max of a 4+ save). I think you are relying to use the command ability of both your phoenix and dragonlord, which might work for 1 turn only, because of the added CP from the battalion, the other turns you are forced to choose between them.  

Thanks for the feedback (and sorry for the slow reply, wasn't actively following the thread anymore...)!

I agree with your points, and I think I arrived at similar conclusions. I managed to get my hands on some Reavers so those are going in instead of the Namarti. Also, I think you're right regarding the list leaning a bit too heavily on alpha strike Dragonhost, so I'm thinking maybe replacing one unit of Dragonblades with a Loremaster might be the way to go (for additional Phoenix synergy and a good spell). I'd probably run the shield on the Dragonlord as well. Sadly can't split up the Phoenix guard since they are already built and painted as one unit of 20, but I guess I'll chose to view it as a sidegrade since they can now all activate at once in combat. So something like this: 

Dragonlord, shield and lance
Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix
Archmage
Loremaster

3x5 Reavers

2x5 Dragon Blades
20 Phoenix Guard

Dragonlord Host battalion
Total: 1970pts

2 hours ago, Drillz said:

Any good alternatives for the Phoenix Guard models because finding them is a pain 

I use the following:

https://www.momminiaturas.com/miniaturas-fantasia/elfos/

Cheap (option of 10 for 15eur!) and look better than the current GW ones, imo. I don't mind resin.

Also, this mini is perfect for an Anointed, really should get my hands on it:

http://www.gamezoneminiatures.com/tienda/es/elfos/106-heroe-elfo-con-fenix.html

Hope it helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Long time no chat.

I recently played with a Draconis list on the weekend at the ADFA Cup and boy did it go well! 2nd out of a field of 32! It's a great answer to some FEC builds too!

I will likely run an identical list at the next event, with the only change being potentially subbing out the Sword of Judgement for the Dimensional Blade.

image.png.0325ff0d5895e7816289545d9aa6aa17.png

image.png.72c5cb7f809b2a7070fa53e77a8245e8.pngimage.png.8c600bfbbd9ac506a051b3f74d16c2dc.png

What a great list! Glad you've had success with it. I have a similar Order Draconis list that I plan on using over Easter weekend:

Allegiance: Order Draconis
Dragonlord (340)
- General
- Shield & Dragon Lance
- Trait: Dauntless
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
Dragonlord (340)
- War Horn & Dragon Lance
- Artefact: The Ragged Cloak 
Dragon Noble (100)
- Phoenix Banner
- Artefact: Sepulchral Plate