The Ultimate guide to High Aelves in AoS2

Crono

Hi Guys,

its @Ben here making a quick edit. This has been asked a few times recently and I think it could potentially be a great thread for returning players. 

The old Ulthan forums were massive so had a ton of fans  

lets make this a great resource for the High Elf’s  

————————————————-————-

Hi Guys, 

Have recently dived back in. I have a functioning Seraphon force which is great, but my true love is high elves. (Have almost finished rebasing 4000 points) and have a prince Imrik on the way.

I'm looking to either join or create a functioning high elf chat group. From what I can see, Ulthuan is relatively dead in relation to AoS and there aren't many other forums/groups dedicated.

Any pointers or any interest from anyone else here? :)

Best,

James

• Like 3

I'm interested in the same thing.

Initial thoughts: Phoenix guard and phoenixes can make a good anvil.

Order draconis with multiple dragons can be a hammer.

Reavers fill out battle line and are fast enough to score.

Just need a good hero or two for command abilities.

• Like 1

Cheers guys.

Got a few games under my belt and i'm excited. PG's are incredible. They make me not want to take anything else. I had a TONNE of models on the table:

DmOLlfdVsAAfwyZ.jpg:large

Next list I'm looking at:

• Dragonlord with Blade and Enchanted Shield, Legendary Fighter (+1A) and Doppelganger Cloak (Shadow)
  • Dragonlord with Blade and Horn
  • Anointed on Frostyboi Phoenix
  • 3x5 Reavers
  • 2x5 Dragon Blades
  • 20 PGs
  • Eagle

Excited!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Crono said:

Chris! Please share!

It's just a bit of a joke really. Recently some data has been published which shows how various armies have performed at larger two day Tournaments since the start of the edition. At the moment, this data is skewed by the fact I took Phoenix Temple to an event and had a good result, giving them a win rate of 80% - the highest of all the armies haha! Obviously the others have all been played by multiple people so it doesn't mean anything, but it's fun for me to joke about. You can read about it here - https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19633-overview-of-the-tournament-scene/

I have been enjoying playing with the Phoenix Temple and have posted good results, going 4-1 and 3-0 at tournaments with them so far. As it is, my army is far from optimised having been built and painted for a fun campaign at the back end of last edition. It's very much built around thematic choices (you can see photos of my army here - https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/15341-a-kingdom-of-isolation-phoenix-temple-blog-2808-aventis-frost-strike-everblaze-comet/?tab=comments#comment-156010)

The list is;

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix - Master of Defence, Doppelganger Cloak
Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix
Aventis Firestrike - Allies

30 Phoenix Guard
10 Phoenix Guard
10 Phoenix Guard

Everblaze Comet

It clocks in at 1,950 so I get a bonus Command Point. As I say, I know it's far from optimum, so I'm not looking for critique on this list. Just thought some of you may like to see it. I will be using the army at the Facehammer Grand Tournament in a couple of weeks with no changes, so we'll see how it does there.

My motto has been "Roll 4+, win" - It's seem to proved true thus far!

I also have a second "High Elf" list in the works, that will be assembled tomorrow/Saturday and will be painted up over the next couple of months as I think I will be taking it to Blood & Glory. I'll likely reveal it on Twitter next week and can then share the list here.

Cheers,
Chris

• Like 2

Been Playing with the following High Elf List with the Tempests Eye Allegiance. Mixed results really. I think I have been using too many mages (due the size of my collection)but haven't had a game with Malign sorcery yet so with more spells it might improve:

Leaders:

Archmage

Archmage

Loremaster

High Warden

DragonLord(Ally)

Troops:

30xSpireGuard

10xSwordmasters

10xSwordmasters

5xReavers

5xReavers

5xReavers

I was thinking of replacing an Archmage with something  else Eldritch or Swifthawk. Was thinking of a Skywarden due to it's buffing aura for my reavers or Spireguard , do you think it's a good idea?

Otherwise I might just pick up my old High Elf bolt thrower and use it to proxy a Celestar Ballista, which is still Tempest's Eye and would still fit the HE aesthetic.

Edited by Alith

Ahahah, totally, that was my motto when using them too! I really love the cloak for our big boys too, so hard to go past!

What an absolutely stunning army. Let me know if you're ever in the market to sell :P

On how it plays - do you ever get sick of the playstyle? Or does it suit you just fine?

20 hours ago, Crono said:

Ahahah, totally, that was my motto when using them too! I really love the cloak for our big boys too, so hard to go past!

What an absolutely stunning army. Let me know if you're ever in the market to sell :P

On how it plays - do you ever get sick of the playstyle? Or does it suit you just fine?

Thanks for the kind comments. I have been known to sell armies in the past, but I think this one is a keeper I'm afraid.

Um....during our campaign I found the army kinda boring if I'm honest, but playing it at tournaments in AoS 2 has been pretty fun. Things like the Comet add an element of excitement and learning the new Battleplans helps. That said, I'm not sure this is the kind of list I'm going to want to play 150 games with or anything due to the stoic, tanky nature of it. But at the moment it still feels fresh and I'm enjoying it, so will run with it for now.

18 hours ago, ianob said:

I spoke to a guy at EGGS recently who told me that mathematically  Witness to Destiny has 90% odds of success on any given roll, thereby making phoenixes mostly invulnerable.

Wow, he sure sounds like he knows what he's talking about. What a guy! ;) 

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2018 at 3:03 PM, Crono said:

Cheers guys.

Got a few games under my belt and i'm excited. PG's are incredible. They make me not want to take anything else. I had a TONNE of models on the table:

DmOLlfdVsAAfwyZ.jpg:large

Next list I'm looking at:

• Dragonlord with Blade and Enchanted Shield, Legendary Fighter (+1A) and Doppelganger Cloak (Shadow)
  • Dragonlord with Blade and Horn
  • Anointed on Frostyboi Phoenix
  • 3x5 Reavers
  • 2x5 Dragon Blades
  • 20 PGs
  • Eagle

Excited!

That is pretty close to the list I was looking at!

Hadn't thought of the eagle though.

On 9/12/2018 at 11:00 AM, Bassie said:

That is pretty close to the list I was looking at!

Hadn't thought of the eagle though.

Honestly I'm not sold on him and he hasn't proved himself. I think the 3x5 Reavers remains an excellent dynamic/mobile core that is capable of harrassing that he might just be superflouous. 

I'm also running this for my next major event, pretty exciting:

-Dragonlord, Blade and Shield, Doppelganger Cloak, General

-Dragonlord, Blade and Shield, Quicksilver Potion, 

-Dragonlord

-Archmage on Dragon

3x5 Dragon Blades

Dragonhost Battallion

Geminids

Palisade

Maelstrom

Shackles

• Like 1

Cool thread! I've used Reavers and Waywatcher Lords converted from High Elf parts in my Order armies to great success.

If you're going Order Draconis, Phoenix Temple or mixed "High Elf" and have access to a copy of Season of War: Firestorm it's well worth checking out the Free City bonus allegiance abilities, as any High Elf army without allied special characters will qualify for at least Hammerhal allegiance, and they're well... free, giving you no reason not to use them. I've written a quick breakdown of the different Free City allegiances, go check it out(Hallowheart is paticuarly good for High Elves):

On 9/6/2018 at 11:58 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

It's just a bit of a joke really. Recently some data has been published which shows how various armies have performed at larger two day Tournaments since the start of the edition. At the moment, this data is skewed by the fact I took Phoenix Temple to an event and had a good result, giving them a win rate of 80% - the highest of all the armies haha! Obviously the others have all been played by multiple people so it doesn't mean anything, but it's fun for me to joke about. You can read about it here - https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/19633-overview-of-the-tournament-scene/

I have been enjoying playing with the Phoenix Temple and have posted good results, going 4-1 and 3-0 at tournaments with them so far. As it is, my army is far from optimised having been built and painted for a fun campaign at the back end of last edition. It's very much built around thematic choices (you can see photos of my army here - https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/15341-a-kingdom-of-isolation-phoenix-temple-blog-2808-aventis-frost-strike-everblaze-comet/?tab=comments#comment-156010)

The list is;

Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix - Master of Defence, Doppelganger Cloak
Aventis Firestrike - Allies

30 Phoenix Guard
10 Phoenix Guard
10 Phoenix Guard

Everblaze Comet

It clocks in at 1,950 so I get a bonus Command Point. As I say, I know it's far from optimum, so I'm not looking for critique on this list. Just thought some of you may like to see it. I will be using the army at the Facehammer Grand Tournament in a couple of weeks with no changes, so we'll see how it does there.

My motto has been "Roll 4+, win" - It's seem to proved true thus far!

I also have a second "High Elf" list in the works, that will be assembled tomorrow/Saturday and will be painted up over the next couple of months as I think I will be taking it to Blood & Glory. I'll likely reveal it on Twitter next week and can then share the list here.

Cheers,
Chris

Why taking Aventis Firestrike ?

I supposes it was because he is a resilient mobile lvl 2 caster with large base that could buff all the phoenixes with his spells without forcing them to be cramped all together around slow and fragile footcasters that the Order had in V1 (empire and aelf caster mainly) while being able to help in melee as well as scenarios (and because everblaze comet is awesome) but i would really like to know the reasons from the master himself

Edited by ledha

11 minutes ago, ledha said:

Why taking Aventis Firestrike ?

I suppose it it bacause he is a resilient mobile lvl 2 caster with large base that could buff all the phoenixes with his spells without forcing them to be cramped all together around slow and fragile footcasters that the Order had in V1 (empire and aelf caster mainly) while being able to help in melee as well as scenarios (and because everblaze comet is awesome) but i would really like to know the reasons from the master himself

As per the post you quoted ;) ....

As it is, my army is far from optimised having been built and painted for a fun campaign at the back end of last edition. It's very much built around thematic choices (you can see photos of my army here - https://www.tga.community/forums/topic/15341-a-kingdom-of-isolation-phoenix-temple-blog-2808-aventis-frost-strike-everblaze-comet/?tab=comments#comment-156010)

I talk a bit about Aventis in the linked topic there and when you see my conversion it'll make a bit more sense anyway.

As it is though, it's a flat out a pretty poor choice for the army really. There's plenty of two wizard combinations you could included instead of him that are almost definitely better.  That said, the reasons you speculated on for his inclusion are really about as good as it gets. Tbh his combat punch is pretty reliable for a bit of damage each turn as well and not as fragile as most other wizards with the 3+ save and healing.

But really, it's just because I wanted to do the conversion as another centrepiece for the army, no secret tech as such.
He's done well enough for me though, certainly not awful or anything.

Oh, also it made me feel smart as it kinda "breaks"* the allies rules with him and the Comet clocking in at 460 points haha! (I'm not a fan of the double stacked rules against allies right now).

Sorry I can't offer any real words of wisdom!

Chris

*It definitely doesn't actually break the rules, it just sort of feels like it if you know what I mean.

Hello there!

I am creating my first Phoenix Temple list and would like some advice.

On my area most games are 1k points so here goes my list:

-Anointed on Frostheart Phoenix (General)

-Loremaster (Ally)

-Phoenix Guard x20

-Phoenix Guard x20

Total: 980 pts.

My painting scheme for my High Elves has always been Red/Orange/Golden. I was wondering if there is any good artifact for this list from the realm of fire, and if i can use the Hallowheart Alligeance rules (since my BL is Phoenix Temple and not Order).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thiagoma said:

My painting scheme for my High Elves has always been Red/Orange/Golden. I was wondering if there is any good artifact for this list from the realm of fire, and if i can use the Hallowheart Alligeance rules (since my BL is Phoenix Temple and not Order).

Yes, you can use Hallowheart allegiance (as long as you don't ally in a special character like Chris ;)). Phoenix Temple allegiance doesn't have a set of allegiance abilities and therefore gets to use the default Order allegiance abilities, the current Season of War: Firestorm errata states that an army using the Order allegiance abilities (something you can no longer choose to do in place of an army's own allegiance abilities if they have access to them in AoS 2.0) can take a Firestorm City or Warlord allegiance as well, as long as they meet the qualifiers. :)

As far as Aqshy artefacts go, Thermalrider Cloak for an extra zippy phoenix guaranteed to get a charge in on the first turn? (Aqshy artefats aren't very good...)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

MOAB is this weekend and I have been deep in the High elf think tank. I'm currently taking 3 dragons + archmage on dragon but also have this list i'll be trying after MOAB:

Khaleesi - Loremaster (Unsure if this should be an Archmage on steed for the 6+ ward save)

Dragon1 - Lance and Horn - General, Doppelganger cloak, Strategic Genius

Dragon2 - Lance and Horn - Quicksilver Potion

Dragon3 - Lance and Horn - Unsure on this final item

5 Dragon Blades

5 Dragon Blades

5 Dragon Blades

5 Dragon Blades

Dragonhost Battallion

Dragonhost Battallion

Maelevolent Maelstrom

After that, I'd also like to try a Phoenix Temple list (since I recently acquired 40 phoenix guard) and an eldrich council list with 60 swordmasters.

Anyone have any thoughts on allies? @Chris Tomlin - could you share your phoenix temple list with the comet? :D

James