New FAQ and Pile-In

CygnusMaximus

Question

While the new AoS Errata and FAQ are generally very good, here's an example of where I think it made things worse. 

In the rules, it states:

PILING IN
A unit can make a pile-in move if it is within 3" of an enemy unit or has made a charge move in the same turn. If this is the case, you can move each model in the unit up to 3". Each model must finish its pile-in move at least as close to the nearest enemy model as it was at the start of the move.

FIGHTING
Each model in the unit must attack with all of the melee weapons it is armed with (see Attacking).

MELEE WEAPONS
In order to make an attack with a melee weapon, a model must be in range of the target unit.

In the recent FAQ, it states:

Q: If an ability allows a unit to pile in more than the standard 3", can the unit pile in and attack in the combat phase if it is more than 3" from the enemy?
A: No, unless the ability specifically states otherwise.

So, as an astute colleague of mine pointed-out, if a model with a spear charges a unit then ends up 4.5" away due to casualty removal in the same turn, he can pile-in 3" and attack the model 1.5" away due to his spear's range.  However, if that model had an ability that allowed him to pile-in 6", interpreting the FAQ literally, he could not.

So, do you think that was intended, or is the literal interpretation going too far?

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, CygnusMaximus said:

While the new AoS Errata and FAQ are generally very good, here's an example of where I think it made things worse. 

In the rules, it states:

PILING IN
A unit can make a pile-in move if it is within 3" of an enemy unit or has made a charge move in the same turn. If this is the case, you can move each model in the unit up to 3". Each model must finish its pile-in move at least as close to the nearest enemy model as it was at the start of the move.

FIGHTING
Each model in the unit must attack with all of the melee weapons it is armed with (see Attacking).

MELEE WEAPONS
In order to make an attack with a melee weapon, a model must be in range of the target unit.

In the recent FAQ, it states:

Q: If an ability allows a unit to pile in more than the standard 3", can the unit pile in and attack in the combat phase if it is more than 3" from the enemy?
A: No, unless the ability specifically states otherwise.

So, as an astute colleague of mine pointed-out, if a model with a spear charges a unit then ends up 4.5" away due to casualty removal in the same turn, he can pile-in 3" and attack the model 1.5" away due to his spear's range.  However, if that model had an ability that allowed him to pile-in 6", interpreting the FAQ literally, he could not.

So, do you think that was intended, or is the literal interpretation going too far?

As nothing in that FAQ answer overrides the charge condition in the core rules, the charge condition still applies.

That was also the case last edition.

I think the first question is if there are models which have a greater pile-in distance than 3 inches which don't have a corresponding greater pile-in range. 

It might also be better to think of the greater pile-in movement distance as not being for getting that initial one model closer; but instead allows you to maximise  pile-in move with the whole unit. So long as you've one model within 3 inches of the enemy, a greater than 3 inch move on the whole unit means that models further back or more isolated after the casualties are removed; has a greater chance of making it into combat. 

GW differes between two things.

1. can a unit be activated to pile in
  2. how far can a unit pile in.

Normal rules say, that for point one, a unit has to be in 3" to the enemy or must have charged this turn.

If your rule only says that your unit can move up to 6" when piling in, it is only Part 2. The unit has still the requirement of the corerules.

In other cases we have rules like for the Yhetees:

Yhetees can be chosen to pile in and attack in the combat phase if they are within 6" of an enemy, and

Here we have:

1. Yhetees can be chosen to pile in and attack in the combat phase if they are within 6" of an enemy
  2. can move up to 6" when pile in.

Thanks for the replies - that's what I assumed, but as the FAQ doesn't make it clear that the "no" doesn't apply in the niche situation I described, I have a feeling I'll have to roll-off should it ever come-up with a particular opponent of mine :)

Archived