Destruction generic list

Izikail

So i have been muddeling my way through trying to make a generic destruction list and im struggling. Destruction seems to pigion hole its key words more severly than the othere allegiances. Things like frost hearts and sisters of the thorn are always good as there not limited, archon works with what ever you want to put him with. The othere allegiances also have battleline units that are so cheep and versitile you dont mind having them where destruction

So what units in distruction are so indipendantly usefull or universaly synagistic to make a soup list function? 

Im seeing some power in butchers for sure and i think yeties could be good. An arachnaroc and a good size spider squad can have there use. 

I think one of the ambush units would be usefull

What universal battlelines are our best bet, to me its min unit size archer orruks or oger units.

A lot of the grot units seem to work really well with a hero to make a nice mini detachment. Gitmob shaman with archers for sneaky stabbing. Moonclan warboss with anything moonclan. Spider hero and shaman with spiders etc.

Now that heroes can use command abilities like rerolling charges etc it seems a slightly better value.

The fungus shaman seems like a steal for 80 points especially if your force is mostly things with orruk or grot keywords

Grots as mentioned i think form a great starting point for mixed destruction. Give lots of bodies and are pretty self contained.

After that i look at army chunks, wizards, monsters ect to finish the build.

I like using squads of 3 ogors as my filler battleline as they can do a bit of heavy lifting, just keep them away from things with massive armour saves and they don't dissapoint.

List could look like:

60 gitmob with bows

Gitmob sham

2x3 ogors

Wurrug prophet (a steal for a 2 spell caster and generic spell is pretty good vs hoards)

That is 730 at the moment. Enough to add some strong flair. Magma dragon or dreadmaw for 540/460 (could be anyother big things), 30 morboys with greenskin boss is 440. Add a giant and one or 2 80point casters 240/320 and a couple of endless spells for a 2000point list

I find this aproach works quite well.

You have 2 groups of strong synergy, 4-5 spell casts + dispells possibly more if you wanted to shift more into spiders for their synergy. And some big threats.

Other things i look for are cost effective battalions, an irondist, teef ruk or even snagga ruk are relitive inexpencive batalions that give an ok bonus plus the benifit of command point and second artifact.

The two elements i keep coming back to are 80pt wizard spam through a spell portal and rock lobbers so that puts me about 420 pts down. And then as you say small synergy bubbles.

Butcher and pot with a few oger units

Spiderfang boss, archnaroc and a spider unit

Weird nob and 30 orruks with bows

I like the batalion idea. Just a pitty most bettalions use non battlelines. Earoy on i was trying to make destruction gordrakk work but i found that you were always better to use the battalions in faction.

5 hours ago, Izikail said:

Sad that the rogue idle is only a 6" range on the caster buff now :(

To be fair, a 6" range is still a large area when it comes off of a base that large.  He is also now a great monster in general and not just because of that buff.

2 hours ago, Skabnoze said:

To be fair, a 6" range is still a large area when it comes off of a base that large.  He is also now a great monster in general and not just because of that buff.

Yh, agreed. My lament was i was thinking about a cadra of moonclan grot shaman, fungoid shaman, warug prophet and a wirednob casting spells through a portal with an idle acting as a traditional monster but with a 6" ranged they would have to risk moving out of cover to keep up and loseing prximity to the portal.

So i have a rough idea of ehat im doing. But to help me out, if you remove all allegiance abilities and in alligiance synergies. What are the best points per output models/units for;

Tarpiting

A shooting unit

An artilery peice

Mobile damage

Mobile objective grabbers

That destruction has to offer?

I'm doing a mixed Destruction force, leaning heavily into a Goblin + Spider theme.

This is what my list is currently looking like.

1 x Grot Big Boss on Gigantic Spider with Bellowing Tyrant

3 x Arachnarok with Grot shaman

Gitmob Grot Shaman with Aetherquartz Brooch

15 Grot Spider Riders

60 Gitmob Grots with Bows

2 x 20 Gitmob Grots with Bows

2 x Grot Rock Lobbas

My Rock Lobbers are being converted out of spare crew from the Arachnaroks. My Gitmob Grots are the Grot Scuttlings from Silver Tower. Grot Shaman on foot is just another Arachnarok Shaman.

This gives me a fast moving that can hit hard if needed backed by the General giving it the bravery it needs., 1 big tarpit, 2 cheap units of throwaway bodies for objectives, some war machines and the Arachnaroks that are pretty good for their points cost.

Some of the variation in this list is dropping the 3rd Arachnarok, adding an additional Big Boss and running 2 Big Bosses with 2 units of 10 Spiders. It also gives me 90 points left over, so 40 for endless spells and the 50 for the Command Point.

It's not the best list out there, but for me its a hobby thing.

If you want to avoid grots there are a few things that are going to be hard, they have excelent board presance by shear numbers. But as i'm currently painting my sqaud of 60 i understand not wanting to paint all that. (With fulltime job and 1yr old i have nearly finished painting 20 in 3-4 months)

For shooting you have 2 choices, arrowboys or leadbelchers.

I preffer the belchers because of the rend, but they do lack range and are random shots.

For fast objective grabbers and harrassors i like boarboy maniaks, back them up with greenskin boarboss and have fun.

Would leave artillery out and focus on mages and mortal wound beasts.

Would go with normal ogors as battleline as they have good bulk and decent dmg, savage orruks are a bit tankier, but hit like a wet noodle.

So in short get a good mix of bonespliterz, gutbusters and beastclaw.

So the list i have atm is (im going to explain as i go so this will be long winded)

A butcher: great caster and not to shaby in a fight. Will take him with a pot and anchor my ogers with him

Fungoid grot: this guy is the first part of my wizard battery, his spell with the portal is usefull and he is a cheep caster

Moonclan shaman: similer as above

Wirdnob shaman: hes going on the balewind and using the orruks as a battery, still use`s the protal with his vomet

Warug prophet: two casts and dispels is strong. He will also be hugging my portal.

Orruk warboss on wyvern: my fast tank. Will be equiped with an artifact as some missions require them, fast, durable

Units

3 ogers: pack a punch and get buffed by the buttcher

3 ogers: same as above 

30 orruks with bows: offer a ranged punch and provide bodies for my wierdnobs buff, offers deepstrike protection

Rock lobber: great damage and reliable helps stop my wizard covern getting deepstruck

Rock lobber: see above, two for buff

3 troggoths: decent stalling unit great against high armor

4 big stabbas: hits hard, not a bad throwaway stardrake killer, benifits from warug comand ability

Endless spells

Cogs help my ogers and wyvern engage and swap to a caster buff 

Bale wind: lets my nob get both spells of and makes vomit longer

Portal: lets me hide my wizards and lets there pbaoe spells get deep into there lines.

General plan, wyven scouts and stalls ogers trogoths and butcher engage turn 2/3, wizards eliminate enemy magical threats first then what ever takes priority after that, gorks teef hunt monsters or use the prophet comand ability (maybe warboss to) to delite big threats when possible

Looks pretty good. The spell batttery fort is pretty cool, if you can find a way to fit geminids in then that would be even better. You will probably find cogs most likely won't be needed and swapping to geminids + swords or maelstrom (massive fan of maelstrom gives a second dispell chance on spells cast in range, great for shutting down opponents spell forts) would give a bit more of a boost. Reason i say this is you have 3 other ways to get 2 casts out of one wizard (prophet, fungoid, vortex). Deffinitly worth testing the comfiguration on endless spells as what looks great on paper can work drasticly different ingame.

One thing of note, unless the enemy is stacking minus to hit shoot the lobbers at characters. So much value in taking them out, more than chip wounds on bigger units i have found.

My artifact of choice on the wyvern boss is the ethereal amulet, 4+ re-rollable save that isn't effected by rend is pretty hard to get through. The other big option is the broach that gives 4+ shrug on mortal wounds in realm of fire.

Geminids and maelstrom sounds good. The cogs will probably be medioca for an expensive spell and i risk buffing the enemys move to my detriment. Im normaly scared of endless spels backfiring into my lines. But with the portals i should cope. I also love the malestrom. I have heard it poo pooed a few times, but it offers alot of power and utility and when chucked through a portal it will hopefully be out of range to dispell my own spells

The reason people dislike maelstrom is that it isn't reliable dmg at all. Also people think the opponent will just unbind it, to which i think tbat is a spell chance not used against me.

Best 20 points i think you can spend in a list. Sure some armies won't like it but as soon as you have a few wizards i find it invaluble.

Archived