Doing a Bonesplitterz army

amysrevenge

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been quiet on the forum lately, head down working on Bonsplitterz.  I've not got , officially 100% done, Wurrgog Prophet, Savage Big Boss, Wardokk, 10 Savage Boarboys with spear-type weapons, and 5 Savage Baroboys with chompas.  Handful of photos...

(I also tidied up a few old previously painted Savage Orc characters to come closer to fitting the theme.)

2016-08-27 22.05.29.jpg

2016-08-27 22.04.11.jpg

2016-08-27 22.04.49.jpg

They look good, ready for battle! Some tiny nitpicks: They are a bit shiny. Are you going to hit them up with a matte varnish? The other item is I think the Ork Flesh and Boar fur are super similar in tone, and could use a bit more contrast :) Great basing though, it really makes them pop!

The matt varnish wasn't *quite* dry yet when I took the photos, so they are already less glossy.  I'm also concerned about the boars - I'm already doing a different more brown-y scheme on the next ones.  Someday when I have the time I might try doing one more wash of something on these, not sure what yet though.

Once I'm done the whole works I'm planning to go back over the orruks for warpaint (red ont he right, blue on the left), but I need to get to tournament-ready first.  Will probably do on the boars as well.

Also.  For the Wurrgog Prophet.

Recipe:
Reaper Bones Item# 77015: Bugbear Warrior

Standard and knife from Savage Orruk Boarboy kit
Head and shield from Savage Orruk kit
Squig from Moonclan Grot Fanatic kit

I'll do some pics later this week, but lots of progress.

The 20 Savage Orruks and 10 Morboys and 2nd Weirdnob Shaman are all very close - 95%.

The 10 Maniak Boarboys are built, and along with 4 Big Stabbas I've started a couple colours of paint on them.

I purchased a 2nd Wardokk and 10 more old metal Morboys at a local bits bazaar, and I've made bases for them and sculpted beards on to match all the others.

I haven't picked up my reserved copy yet, but I'm grabbing the WD with the free model, and I'm going to convert it to be another Savage Big Boss.  That will be fun.

Honing in on a list, too.  Here's where I'm sitting right now.   198 wounds!

Leaders
Wurrgog Prophet (140) (Spell: Brutal Beast Spirits)
- General
- Trait: Squirmy Warpaint
- Artefact: Glowin Tattooz
Wardokk (80) (Spell: Squiggly Curse)
Maniak Weirdnob (100) (Spell: Hand of Gork)
- Artefact: Mystic Waaagh! Paint
Maniak Weirdnob (100)(Spell: Hand of Gork)

- Artefact: Mystic Waaagh! Paint
Savage Big Boss (100)
- Artefact: Weepwood Big Shiv

Units
Savage Orruks x 20 (200) (Chompas)
Savage Orruk Morboys x 20 (240)
Savage Boarboyz x 10 (240) (Flint Spears)
Savage Boarboyz x 5 (120) (Crude Chompas)
Savage Boarboy Maniaks x 5 (160)
Savage Boarboy Maniaks x 5 (160)
Savage Big Stabbas x 2 (100)
Savage Big Stabbas x 2 (100)

Batallions
Brutal Rukk (40)
Snaga Rukk (40)
Teef Rukk (40)

list.jpg

Yeah that's true. My overall plan was to super buff a unit of Maniak Boarboys with +1 hit, run, charge, and speed to send them off to counter-charge or intercept. That's the thought anyway since you can only attempt one of each spell. But having them be more flexible sounds like a good idea too.

I've looked pretty hard for a way to do it, but don't fit any of them.  Can't make the minimums.  If it was just "take the following battalions" I could do any of them - I have the ability to do any of the battalions in the book at minimum size.  But it's "take the following battalions, except you need basically double the units" which I can't manage.

Been thinking about this.  My last two projects I've been so enthusiastic about, compared to previous ones where it was sometimes a bit of a challenge.

I think the big factor has been deciding before even starting on a simple consistent colour scheme for the whole army.  In projects past, I've kind of done a unit-by-unit ah hoc choice on paint colours.  These last two though, Stormcasts and Bonesplitterz, I've developed one unified scheme and stuck with it unit by unit as I pushed through.  And in both cases, I enjoyed doing the last unit as much as, or more than, the first one.  Definitely NOT true of, say, the small Warherd army I finished before doing the Stormcasts, with each unit a completely new paint scheme.  I mean, I've still got one more unit of Bullgors that I never even got around to painting.

It is funny how that happens! Sometimes I can be Gung Ho on and army and build and convert through it with speed...but get hung up on the paint scheme. I have armies just sitting on shelves because I can't decide how to paint them.

Conversely, if I have a paint scheme in mind, I can blaze through any army in no time!

It is actually making me want to go back to my true love, Dwarfs, and start over with new models.  Well, rather, I'd start from my completed Irondrakes and move forward with that scheme, which would match my Stormcast scheme.  I've got plenty of unpainted Dwarfs, or metal ones that are simple to strip (I'm at a point in my life where I can't really be stuffed to strip plastic, but metal is pretty easy).

Archived