Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

I used the Grey mage for a bit and ended up pushing Ironguts up to hitting on 7's with overlapping -1 to hit. But given that people can still hit on sixes I did sort of regret it. 

I'd say its great for multiple combats when you can't get a stomp off because your treelord is engaged elsewhere. But overall I find lifesurge a bit more useful. It's a really helpful second heal that doesn't conflict with Regrowth!

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used the Grey mage for a bit and ended up pushing Ironguts up to hitting on 7's with overlapping -1 to hit. But given that people can still hit on sixes I did sort of regret it. 

Note that this isn't part of the rules or the General's Handbook.

People seem to think it's necessary in some tournament packs. Even if you do stack the debuffs, it's only going to take out one unit (or maybe two in melee, where you can retreat). If you get -3 to hit on 40 Bonesplitter Archers, then well played!

I actually find it very difficult to place woods during the game due to the limitations of the length of the mode of summoning and the distance from other models/terrain.  Perhaps I've been playing on heavily terrained boards.  Has anyone summarized the different options and restrictions for summoning wyldwoods?

12 hours ago, Xerek said:

I actually find it very difficult to place woods during the game due to the limitations of the length of the mode of summoning and the distance from other models/terrain.  Perhaps I've been playing on heavily terrained boards.  Has anyone summarized the different options and restrictions for summoning wyldwoods?

Generally it seems like a pretty flat 1" away from other scenery at the beginning, 1" away from models later in the game no?

Treesong is 3", but I've not actually used that yet.

Hey everyone, new member, and new AoS player. I love the Sylvaneth models which is why I chose them over Death. I've read pretty much all 19 pages over the past 2 days lol. 

Has anyone tried using an Archmage on a Dragon with Gnarlroot? It's only 40 more points than the Hurricanum, but you get a lot of added benefits, such as the dragon's great close combat, and obviously his magic debuff. I think the possibility to remove other mystic shields could be really good. The obvious concern is the measly 5+ save, but you could augment that relatively easily.

This guy is defenitly strong, but sylvaneth has a strong monster: spirit of druthu! The banish magic spell is nice thats true, but the huricanum gives sylvaneth easy ranged mortal wounds (5 on average iirc) and boots EVERY other unit! Gettind +4 hit to +3 hit increases the dmg of a unit by 33%....from +3 hit to +2 doubles it even!

+1 hit doesnt sound much, but after doing soem math this thing looks really amazing!

Yeah, I definitely agree, the +1 to hit is a game changer. I'll defintely get a Hurricanum for competitive play, but casually, I'm looking for fun alternatives so I'm not always spamming the Hurricanum [emoji23]

Technically a Hurricanum's buff to hit amounts to 16% buff. Not 33%.

Still worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey all. New Player and decided to try Sylvaneth. I definitely want to try Gnarlroot since magic is always fun. I've had one concern that I haven't read. Is it just assumed that each Celestial Hurricanum has the 100 point Battlemage mounted on it? Since the Hurricanum does not have the Wizard keyword without the Battlemage.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

The Wizard is basically a free upgrade. Same deal as with most other Warscrolls that say you may include a character, usually one that used to have the thing in question as a mount option. It's more often than not a no-brainer to include the character.

Got it. Thanks. I was picturing using 2 warscrolls for both Battlemage and Hurricanum and needing to pay the points for both. Thank you for the clarification.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I attempted to summarize all the options to summon/move Wyldwoods.  Did I understand the ability from Guardians of the Deepwood correctly? If so, we could start off with 3 wyldwoods on the board.

Source Distance Restrictions Comments
Wyldwood Groves Anywhere 1" from other terrain Allegiance Battletrait
Verdant Blessing 18" of caster 1" from other model and terrain Spell
Acorn of the Ages 5" of bearer 1" from other model and terrain Arcane Treasure
Guardians of the Deepwood Anywhere   Battallion that gets 2 extra wyldwoods before placing models 
Sylvaneth Wargrove Anywhere   Battallion that adds 1 extra wyldwood to the Wyldwood Groves ability
Metamorphosis 16" of caster 1" from other model and terrain Alarielle spell to damage and replace unit with Wyldwood
Silent Communion 15" of Treelord Ancient 3" from other models Ability of Treelord Ancient, once a turn
Treesong 10" of caster Not within 3" of enemy model or terrain Spell, Movement only, not summon

On 23.09.2016 at 10:56 AM, Nico said:

I think the "free" one should link the two deployment zones, ideally between or across an objective.

Your next one with the Verdant Blessing spell should be put right up next to as many enemy units as possible (as it can conga and it can get 1 inch away from enemy models) - this allows you to Awaken the Wood with the Treelord Ancient. The Acorn one can be in your deployment zone and towards an objective on the mid line. That leaves another shorter ranged one from the Treelord Ancient's passive ability.

Thanks for advice Nico!

Apart from the list @Nico and I had discussed earlier in this thread which is designed to maximise mortal wound output from spells and Wyldwoods' Roused By Magic ability, I have tended to play all my woods the same way. 

Usually use about 4-6 bases in my average game, rarely double up on bases for a single wyldwood (outside aforementioned list).

I will normally place my "free" Wyldwood outside one of the deployment zones, close to an objective if possible (for example in Border War or Take and Hold).

There are a few reasons for this;

- If I can get that side I can use it to teleport straight away

- If I don't I can still use it to teleport to the enemy half at max distance on turn 1 if I want to / if I go first.

- the enemy can't deploy models in it to prevent shenanigans if you get first turn (likely with our flexible Wargrove battalions)

- if for some reason you don't get the board side or the first turn, your opponent still has to run around, walk through or run through and risk losing models.

After that I will summon woods near objectives. I will tend to place them so that 10+ dryads can sit inside the wood for cover and -1 to hit, and remain within 6" of the objective marker. With the wood as far as possible from enemy territory. 

Leave just over 0.5" space in front of the dryads so that at least one charging model has to take a test or die, but still keeps them from blocking the wyldwood from being used as a Realmroot station.

This gives the opponent the choice of committing to the dryads while they are at their toughest or toeing into the other side with more than 10 models (often requiring multiple units) and either way having to Face a counter charge from Durthu or some Kurnoth Hunters.

in other words I play for objectives and defensively. Dryads there to hold the objectives With the more mobile/ hard hitting aspects of the list counter punching where they are needed. 

Once again outside the mortal wound / spellspam list I tend to use the woods for movement and defensive (cover/-1 to hit) purposes, always with objectives in mind. 

This is is why I favour playing single bases as it allows more flexibility. Perhaps I play with more terrain than some people but normally with a wyldwood of two or three bases I can't seem to fit too many on the table, especially if my opponent takes measures to deny areas with their models. 

Also I don't know about the rest of you but I play that you can't teleport from a wyldwood to a different area within 3" of the same wyldwood, and I count a 3 citadel wood wyldwood as one terrain piece. So you couldn't summon a wyldwood of 3 bases, stretch it out across the table and teleport from one base of that to another. 

With regards to Treesong, I haven't as yet actually been able to move even a single base using this spell, though I find the spell is still useful for the mortal wounds.

My thoughts are, unless you build your list around it (which can certainly be done) extra damage from roused by magic or the deadly aspect of the Wyldwood is just a bonus. 

Aaron 

I also would like to experiment with a Skink Starseer, to potentially threaten enemy squads even more with Curse of Fates. It'd make a specific model (such as a Celestant Prime) die on a 1 or a 2 for chargin through my Wyldwood. Plus the insights would be useful

Doesn't effect Heroes or monsters

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Also I don't know about the rest of you but I play that you can't teleport from a wyldwood to a different area within 3" of the same wyldwood, and I count a 3 citadel wood wyldwood as one terrain piece. So you couldn't summon a wyldwood of 3 bases, stretch it out across the table and teleport from one base of that to another. 

Yes - I think that's right.

Doesn't effect Heroes or monsters

Notable tip - contrary to rumours, the Dread Saurian is not a monster.

Is anyone around at the moment? I wouldn't mind having a chat in message / over skype about the Gnarlroots order wizard options. Had a busy week, but have a couple of days off now and I'm hoping to get them into tiers, with notable combos so I can post it either here or in a different thread (or both). The big effort is to comb through the compendiums, I'm not a big fan of Compendium stuff but it would be missing a lot to not list them. So many cheaper multi cast heroes in there.

What a fantastic article! I play Stormcast externals, religiously, but in the future I plan on a 2nd army just for fun. Sylvaneth is something I've been looking at due to the lore and the armies unique role. 

A good friend of mine is a sylvaneth enthusiast and I have amazing games against him. Durthu........ Ouch! 

I was not too impressed with the hunters with bows, but they were good at tying my units down with their 5 wounds each. However the hunters with greatswords look devastating!

if I were to start a 1000 point project, what should I be looking at?

2 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

What a fantastic article! I play Stormcast externals, religiously, but in the future I plan on a 2nd army just for fun. Sylvaneth is something I've been looking at due to the lore and the armies unique role. 

A good friend of mine is a sylvaneth enthusiast and I have amazing games against him. Durthu........ Ouch! 

I was not too impressed with the hunters with bows, but they were good at tying my units down with their 5 wounds each. However the hunters with greatswords look devastating!

Hi @Dracothjay, yeah Sylvaneth are a lot of fun and quite distinct to play. A solid start is something like a Treelord Ancient, 20 Dryads, 5 Tree-Revenants, and 2 units of 3 Kurnoth Hunters.

3 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

I'd argue that the sylvaneth get started box is the best place to get started.  It knocks off a good chunk of change and everything in the box is usable and desirable.  Add a box of kurnoth and then see where you're at.

Archived