Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

3 hours ago, Forestreveries said:

@Mirage8112 wait till our follow up recording and I'll tell you about the game I played. It was against an all Nurgle force with an abundance of 5/6+ mortal wound saves...

My opponent got caught up in the Wyldwoods and I destroyed everything, losing only one Kurnoth Hunter in return, which I brought back with Verdurous Harmony. ?

Aaron

I'd like to hear that actually, especially because it's so funny when it really goes right.

I'm not saying we shouldn't consider the roused to wrath a tool that can be used, I'm just saying that what @Nico proposing requires a chain of 5 things to go right before you can even attempt to damage the enemy. And if 1-2 go wrong, you've painted yourself into a corner. Then you have a second chain of 6-8 things that your opponent can actively try to to stop. Here's the chain as I see it, with each successive step assuming the previous step went off as planned (mostly). I've put in bold the points which can be stopped by your opponent, or cast you can fail:  

1.) The opponent not switching sides/ having scouting units/ going first 
2.) Casting verdant blessing successfully

3.) Casting awaking of the wood successfully 
4.) Having a clear path to the enemy with no obstructing terrain

5.) Teleporting 2 Branchwraith within 9"

Then:

1.) Casting Balewind Vortex
2.) Not having it dispelled
3.) Casting the Reaping successfully 
4.) not having it dispelled
5.) Casting arcane Bolt
6.) not having it dispelled

7.) Teleporting Drycha
8.) Using Flitterfuries which will likely do at least one wound per unit affected (including your own) with a 66% chance to cause an additional wound per unit. 

If you were really playing it safe, you'd probably want to cast arcane bolt first to try and draw the dispel, but even then, I can't look at that chain without seeing a bunch of opportunities for it to all go terribly wrong. And as I said above, if it goes wrong, it goes horribly wrong. And this all has nothing to say about the counters I mentioned earlier. 

And if it goes off without anything going wrong, its wound output isn't that much better than 2 groups of 3 hunters with bows. Which is not only more reliable and less risky, it takes quite a few less points to pull it off (980pts vs 360pts) plus you won't be putting wounds back on your own units.

I have a very strong opinion that stratagems like this should have little to no chance of being interrupted to be useful (which is why a favor the acorn over verdant blessing for getting a second wildwood down). Because otherwise what your really saying is something akin to:

"I'm going to flip this coin 11 times in a row. And when it comes up heads all 11 times I'm going to win." 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi All,

I am fairly new to AoS (having taken a 5 year hiatus from all GW games) but have decided to pick up Sylvaneth as the models are amazing (so far I have the starter and box of Kurnoth Hunters). 

I have been slowly working my way through this thread over the last week or so and forming some ideas about the type of force I wanted to construct. It has been quite difficult to discern from the forum what some of the better combinations are (ultimately I enjoy the competitive side of games, although I appreciate the fluff and non competitive side too). In particular, views seem to have changed quite a bit as this topic has progressed. 

Anyways, I have had a go at constructing a list of models to aim for and wondered if anyone could give me a few tips/pointers for it - does it seem able to handle a range of pitched battle scenarios, for example? The list is likely an amalgamation of several I have seen here (and may even be very similar to some) but I am just trying to get a good summary list for myself to work towards:

Gnarlroot Wargrove

Household Battalion

1 Treelord Ancient

• General

• Command Trait: Gnarled Warrior

• Magical Artifact: Briarsheath

• Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

• Gnarlroot Spell: Verdurous Harmony

Branchwych

• Magical Artifact: Ranu’s Lamentiri

• Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Celestial Hurricanum

• Deepwood Spell: Verdant Blessing

5 Tree Revenants

20 Dryads

10 Dryads

3 Kurnoth Hunters

• Bows

3 Kurnoth Hunters

• Bows

6 Kurnoth Hunters

• Scythes

It was a tough choice between Briarsheath and The Oaken Armour for my General, but the -1 to hit (for -2 in combat with stomp) with re-rolling armour saves of 1 and ignoring rend -1 just seems ridiculous - what do others tend to go with?

Anyways, the idea is to have three sub-forces

1. Ancient and Scythe Hunters
  2. Celestial Hurricanum and Bow Hunters (I know the Hurricanum is expensive, but pumping out mortal wounds and making the Bow Hunters 3+/3+ seemed good - has anyone come across any good Sylvaneth conversions for this model?)
  3. Branchwych and 20 Dryads

The Tree Revenants and 10 Dryads are, for all intents and purposes, chaff distraction units (although a little expensive for such a task I know). 

Any help and guidance would be appreciated (including if I have messed up and misinterpreted a rule somewhere)! 

@Phoenix

For the most part it looks good. i might suggest taking a different deepwood spell on either your Wytch or TMA. It's good to have it available, but since you can only cast it once, and we're a fairly mobile army, you might benefit from another spell depending on the situation. 

How many points does the list come to? 

I actually go the other way. 

The reason being that the TMA is less likely to jump around the board in my games, and is often camping an objective. His role in my games is usually to bring back dead dryads with verdurous harmony and force damage on units near woods with awakening the wood  That leaves my branchwytch free to bounce around my teleport beacons healing monsters up where needed. I can send her to one side, have her head up drycha or a damage unit of hunters, and then pop back to heal up the TMA if he's taken any damage (which if bunkered in a unit of dryads, I don't normally worry about).   

Oh sorry I should have said - 2000 exactly. 

And yes, I did wonder about the spell choice. I think Regrowth on the Ancient is pretty important, but really struggled for a choice for the Branchwych. 

If you find nothing else interests you then it's probably good having the redundancy anyway. Often i find the ancient is in range of arcane bolting or awakening the woods on key things while the branchwych is back and out of range. Because of that, I normally try and run regrowth on the branchwych and protect her with dryads, but some people are better at hunting her down than others. It always sucks to lose my only regrowth caster.

I run the reaping on the Ancient sometimes if you are expecting them to get stuck into him with multiple units. Otherwise they both have their unique spell, mystic shield, arcane Bolt and verdant blessing so I'm sure you won't run out of things to cast with double regrowth ^_^

One thing to note is some tournaments at the moment are making you roll on spells, because only a few armies have them. Hopefully this changes soon, I hate rolling for anything.

On the items/traits, depending on the kind of battle the mortal wounds save can be good, as can the reroll the first hit of each phase. It really helps hit that one dice shooting attack.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

A couple of quick points - you're grossly underestimating the Bloodletter Bomb - it's an alpha strike - he'll reliably get 20 models in with a tail back of 5 to catch the Bloodsecrators assuming he loses 5 to quasi deadly.

That's 60 attacks. At least 10 mortal wounds even if you have -2 to hit (which is 50%) of the time. Plus the regular damage (30 hits) at 3+ rerolling ones and -1 rend against 3+ saves. 

If he gets plus 3 to hit (2 ways of doing this and +4 to hit is possible), all your guys die. 

If he uses Sayl and the WoK BLoodthirster he will get anywhere he wants and can flying charge anywhere there is space so might get to delete something that isn't -2 to hit. Also he can charge with one model (or a few) to within half an inch and pile into the deadly terrain without having to roll for all of them. I found the woods pretty small at The Warlords, so you'll have models near the edges.

On the Reaping Bomb - I agree that there are a few steps but you've listed them as sequential when some are alternatives. Some are automatic like the teleporting of the Branch dude in the hero phase using the Forest Folk formation. Above all else on a 50% chance you get a double turn to finish the job if you do fail a step. Further this is a mandatory part of a good formation anyway - so it's just a bonus. 

If mortal wounds didn't exist, then yes Defence would almost always trump offence in the numbers side of the game (ignoring the fact that you need to move and grab objectives). Mortal wounds change this equation dramatically.

2 hours ago, Nico said:

A couple of quick points - you're grossly underestimating the Bloodletter Bomb - it's an alpha strike - he'll reliably get 20 models in with a tail back of 5 to catch the Bloodsecrators assuming he loses 5 to quasi deadly.

That's 60 attacks. At least 10 mortal wounds even if you have -2 to hit (which is 50%) of the time. Plus the regular damage (30 hits) at 3+ rerolling ones and -1 rend against 3+ saves. 

If he gets plus 3 to hit (2 ways of doing this and +4 to hit is possible), all your guys die. 

An "Alpha strike" is a unit or army that can delete a unit in the first turn of the game before anything else happens, before you opponent can react. A unit that hits hard mid-game is not technically an alpha strike. It's a deathstar. If your talking about delivering a 1'st turn charge, then thats' different. Is that what your talking about? 

If not, then just no. He'll reliably get 20 models into the forest yes, but they won't all be able to attack since they have a 1" range and their bases are 1.25 inches (32mm).  The unit in total can get 60 attacks, but there is no way on Gods green earth he'll be able to reliably get all 20 in b2b. 10 at the very most, provided he's not blocked by other terrain. 

And hell, lets say for the sake of argument, they do manage to kill all your dryads (not gonna happen, but let's he rolls really well and does). The Drayds are just bubble wrap to prevent the bloodletters from attacking the one thing that matters: i.e.  DURTHU (who they couldn't touch since the Dryads were in the way), WHO CAN NOW HIT BACK WITH HIS 5-6 ATTACKS, DAMAGE 6, -2 REND. That unit of bloodletters will still take about 13-15 wounds, on top of the 5 they lost and the rest will still evaporate to battleshock. 240 points of dryads in exchange for 300 points of bloodletters? pretty good deal I'd say.

Or hey, here's a novel idea. 5 tree-revanents 1" from durthu, just wrapped around in a  kind of half-circle so nothing can get within 1" of him. Your scary bloodletter bomb charges, kills the revenants, but can't get to Durthu, who is now within 3" and can do what I described above. You don't even have to be in a forest to do that. That's 300 pts of bloodletters in exchange for 100 pts of revenants.  

I'm not underestimating anything. If anything your overestimating what the unit can actually bring to bear given the restrictions of combat/terrain because you haven't looked closely at the math. Not to mention you're forgetting how easy it is to chaff a unit like that up and rob them of their ability to do damage to anything valuable. Smart play and positioning (because in AoS positioning never really matters right? Wrong). Yes they have some good delivery systems, but nothing they have can get a model with a  1" range to hit a models 2.5 inches away. 

I'd be thrilled if an opponent attempted to pull his off at a tournament, I'd never have to buy water again with all tears I'd have on hand to drink. 

2 hours ago, Nico said:

On the Reaping Bomb - I agree that there are a few steps but you've listed them as sequential when some are alternatives. Some are automatic like the teleporting of the Branch dude in the hero phase using the Forest Folk formation. Above all else on a 50% chance you get a double turn to finish the job if you do fail a step. Further this is a mandatory part of a good formation anyway - so it's just a bonus. 

Except you'r tying up 2-3 characters, (nearly all your spell casters) 9" from his front lines, relying on a slim chance everything goes right and that you roll well for damage. That, in my mind, is a strategy constructed on a hope and a prayer. 

2 hours ago, Nico said:

If mortal wounds didn't exist, then yes Defence would almost always trump offence in the numbers side of the game (ignoring the fact that you need to move and grab objectives). Mortal wounds change this equation dramatically.

Mortal wounds from Close combat don't scare me, we've got tons of ways to mitigate them.

Ranged Mortal Wounds, however are a different story. 

10 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Hi All,

I am fairly new to AoS (having taken a 5 year hiatus from all GW games) but have decided to pick up Sylvaneth as the models are amazing (so far I have the starter and box of Kurnoth Hunters). 

Hey mate, thanks for reading/joining the thread. Hope it's been helpful. I like your list. It looks pretty solid and flexible. 

I'm thinking, though, the Hurricanum doesn't get a Deepwood Spell or Verdurous Harmony from Gnarlroot. 

Anyone know if this has been clarified? It seems like it's come up before...I know we determined you can't give artefacts to non-Sylvaneth-keyword units accessible via Sylvaneth Wargroves, but what about spells? Seems like the same would apply for spells? 

1 hour ago, scrubyandwells said:

Hey mate, thanks for reading/joining the thread. Hope it's been helpful. I like your list. It looks pretty solid and flexible. 

I'm thinking, though, the Hurricanum doesn't get a Deepwood Spell or Verdurous Harmony from Gnarlroot. 

Anyone know if this has been clarified? It seems like it's come up before...I know we determined you can't give artefacts to non-Sylvaneth-keyword units accessible via Sylvaneth Wargroves, but what about spells? Seems like the same would apply for spells? 

It's only units with "Sylvaneth" & "Wizard" that get access to the spells and artefacts etc. The formation allows you to keep the Sylvaneth Keyword for your allegiance, and doesn't change the keywords on scrolls. 

Except you'r tying up 2-3 characters, (nearly all your spell casters) 9" from his front lines, relying on a slim chance everything goes right and that you roll well for damage. That, in my mind, is a strategy constructed on a hope and a prayer. 

It's one character - the Branchwraith is exposed - the Treelord Ancients would cast summon wood and rouse wood anyway (their default roles) in turn one (since the rouse wood combo is the only way to do mortal wounds first turn). The only other thing the Wraith could do turn one is cast mystic shield. They can move in the movement phase to the new wood or hang back as you like.

Bloodletter Bomb

Dryads are not Grots - they are more expensive per model than Bloodletters. Perhaps you can shield your Durthu for a turn, but eventually he will get a chance to hit something on the board that isn't walled off.

It's only units with "Sylvaneth" & "Wizard" that get access to the spells and artefacts etc. The formation allows you to keep the Sylvaneth Keyword for your allegiance, and doesn't change the keywords on scrolls. 

Strictly it is Sylvaneth heroes in a Sylvaneth Army who get artefacts, but any Wizard in a Sylvaneth Army can get a spell from the Deepwood Lore - so even an Order Wizard in a formation.

I've amended the post - I was referring to the Deepwood Lore spells - you can get an Order Wizard to have a Lore spell, but he cannot have an artefact. It's not a big deal as far as I can tell. The artefacts would be much nastier (on a Stardrake).

5 hours ago, Nico said:

I've amended the post - I was referring to the Deepwood Lore spells - you can get an Order Wizard to have a Lore spell, but he cannot have an artefact. It's not a big deal as far as I can tell. The artefacts would be much nastier (on a Stardrake).

I didn't realize that all you needed was to be a wizard to get access to the deep wood lore. That would mean sisters, a lore master, or a battlemage on a  Celestial Huricanium would get access to them. That's awesome news. Especially as sisters get a +1 to cast in groups of 10.

Is there a specific reasoning why they don't get access to artifacts? It looks like they just need to be heroes in a Sylvaneth Army. By that reasoning any order units with the keyword "HERO" should be able to take an item if they're part of a Sylvaneth battalion. (i.e. Gnarlroot, Ironbark, or Guardians of Alarielle.)

7 hours ago, Nico said:

Bloodletter Bomb

Dryads are not Grots - they are more expensive per model than Bloodletters. Perhaps you can shield your Durthu for a turn, but eventually he will get a chance to hit something on the board that isn't walled off.

If you're smart, nearly everything will be walled off, in a forest, or have ridiculously high armor saves stacking -1's to hit. And eventually yes, he'll find something and take it off the board. But that doesn't mean his army is better designed or more powerful than ours because he can kill unprotected stuff out in the open.  

I'm not saying other armies aren't competitive, or that we can easily kill everything without work. In some match-ups we have to be very careful because we can easily be overpowered. As I said before, CC mortal wounds don't scare me; ranged mortal wounds do (warmachines/spells especially).  

Earlier in the thread you said:

"In my book - "extraordinary" damage is inevitably the result of stacking offensive buffs on a big block unit - 15 Blightkings with +1 to hit from Lord of War and Rerolling Hit and wound rolls of one; 12 Crypt Horrors, rerolling hit and wound rolls with Vanhels Danse Macabre to pile in and attack twice; the 30 Bloodletter Bomb (Lord of War, Damned Terrain, Bloodstoker, multiple Bloodsecrators; or the Kunning Rukk with 40 Savage Orruk Arrowboyz.

Sylvaneth have next to nothing in this department - no mortal wound procs, an exploding attack proc on Dryads (who have no rend) on a 5+ if you take a particular formation with rerolling wounds from Alarielle for one turn is literally the best they can do. This means that they are going to lose embarrassingly in anything approaching a fair fight - it leaves them with Defence, spell casting, hit and run and Sniping the buffing characters as options."

I've given you a way to compete, and in both cases totally overpower, two of your four examples. As for your other two, I can easily see a way around both, but honestly I don' feel like writing a three page post with all the math. We are easily one of the top tier armies at the moment and have a some surprising effective ways to deal with just about everything, they might not be obvious, but boy do they work. 

12 hours ago, Nico said:

Update: My original understanding was the Gnarlroot's 0-1 Order Wizard would not get access to any Sylvaneth Allegiance Abilities, but then I changed it to the below, which could be wrong. Seeking clarification and will update this post shortly.

See the attached GH Errata excerpt, which clarifies you can maintain the choice to select Sylvaneth allegiance with, e.g., a Gnarlroot Wargrove with a Celestial Hurricanum as the 0-1 Order Wizard, but units without the Sylvaneth keyword on their warscroll do not get to use Sylvaneth allegiance abilities. Sylvaneth Artefacts of Power and Arcane Treasures are thus not useable by an Order Wizard from a Gnarlroot Wargrove.

However, the Order Wizard does gain access to an additional spell from the Deepwood Spell Lore, since it specifies "Each Wizard in a Sylvaneth army knows an additional spell chosen from the Deepwood spell lore." (It doesn't specify Sylvaneth Wizard, only Wizard.) The Order Wizard also gains access to Verdurous Harmony, since the Gnarlroot warscroll notes "Each Gnarlroot Wizard" has access to Verdurous Harmony.

The same applies for the Ironbark Talisman artefact in the Ironbark Wargrove: One Ironbark Hero can have the Ironbark Talisman, so you could give it to a Duardin Hero as one of the Ironbark Wargrove's 0-2 Duardin units.

cc: @Mirage8112

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 1.02.25 PM.png

9 minutes ago, scrubyandwells said:

See the attached GH Errata excerpt, which clarifies you can maintain the choice to select Sylvaneth allegiance with, e.g., a Gnarlroot Wargrove with a Celestial Hurricanum as the 0-1 Order Wizard, but units without the Sylvaneth keyword on their warscroll do not get to use Sylvaneth allegiance abilities. Sylvaneth Artefacts of Power and Arcane Treasures are thus not useable by an Order Wizard from a Gnarlroot Wargrove.

However, the Order Wizard does gain access to the Deepwood Spell Lore, since it specifies "Each Wizard in a Sylvaneth army knows an additional spell chosen from the Deepwood spell lore." (It doesn't specify Sylvaneth Wizard.) The Order Wizard also gains access to Verdurous Harmony, since it notes "Each Gnarlroot Wizard" has access to Verdurous Harmony. The same applies for the Ironbark Talisman artefact in the Ironbark Wargrove: One Ironbark Hero can have the Ironbark Talisman, so you could give it to a Duardin Hero as one of the Ironbark Wargrove's 0-2 Duardin units.

cc: @Mirage8112

Screen Shot 2016-09-13 at 1.02.25 PM.png

Updated the above. It does seem correct that an Order Wizard (via Gnarlroot) in a Sylvaneth allegiance army gains access to both a Deepwood Lore spell and the Verdurous Harmony spell. Well that's cool. 

I made the same post on Facebook, but putting it here

In the passage above it says:

"All of the Stormcast units in the battalion [Guardians of Alarielle] are considered to be of Sylvaneth allegiance when it comes to choosing allegiance abilities."

Command traits, Spell lore and Items are all Allegiance abilities.

This thread sure has grown into a proper wildwood!

I'm gonna jump in with a question. Been playing against stormcasts lately, and I've found it to be really hard to handle the amount of mortal wounds coming my way. The tree lords/Durthus/Ancients go down pretty fast when facing mortal wound-spam. Any ideas how to handle that?

I've found its possible to either get to a few of the characters and reduce the amount of mortal wounds coming my way, but then the units with the mazes get stuck in. Or I go the other way and try to handle the units, leaving a lot of mw-spamming characters. 

They are not all "allegiance abilities". How is an artefact an ability except in a really hand-waving way?

The reason why you cannot use artefacts is due to some labelling just above the table of artefacts. Someone eagle-eyed spotted it. There it says Any Sylvaneth Hero can be given an artefact. This isn't consistent with the Hero in a Sylvaneth Army wording at the top of the same page. This wording is key as it means you cannot take a Spirit of Durthu in a High Elf Order army and give it a Briarsheath (he is a Sylvaneth Hero but not a Hero in a Sylvaneth Army).

There's no equivalent label for the lore. The distinction between lore spells and artefacts might be intentional - as you could teach a wizard to cast a new spell (it's not like he just rocked up for the day).

You can see what they are trying to do here, but it's somewhat messy.

I've given you a way to compete, and in both cases totally overpower, two of your four examples. As for your other two, I can easily see a way around both, but honestly I don' feel like writing a three page post with all the math. We are easily one of the top tier armies at the moment and have a some surprising effective ways to deal with just about everything, they might not be obvious, but boy do they work. 

What you have done is prove you can bunker to mitigate somewhat offensive alpha strikes if you sit in a Wyldwood. 

The original point that we've moved away from is that Sylvaneth don't have any offensive synergies that come even close to those of other armies. They have nothing that will even theoretically shift 40 Plaguebearers off an objective in a reasonable period of time, let alone 12 Crypt Horrors with double 5+ Ward saves or 30 Phoenix Guard with a Frost Phoenix.

11 minutes ago, Nico said:

They are not all "allegiance abilities". How is an artefact an ability except in a really hand-waving way?

The reason why you cannot use artefacts is due to some labelling just above the table of artefacts. Someone eagle-eyed spotted it. There it says Any Sylvaneth Hero can be given an artefact. This isn't consistent with the Hero in a Sylvaneth Army wording at the top of the same page. This wording is key as it means you cannot take a Spirit of Durthu in a High Elf Order army and give it a Briarsheath (he is a Sylvaneth Hero but not a Hero in a Sylvaneth Army).

There's no equivalent label for the lore. The distinction between lore spells and artefacts might be intentional - as you could teach a wizard to cast a new spell (it's not like he just rocked up for the day).

You can see what they are trying to do here, but it's somewhat messy.

They are allegiance abilities. From the Battletome, pg:  106 "Allegiance Abilities: From potent spells to magical items of incredible power, this section describes the rules abilities for SYLVANETH armies."

So, the section is "Allegiance abilities" and Command traits, Artifacts of Power and Spell Lore are all part of this section. 

And somebody eagle eye spotted it in the app, yes, but you missed this section from the book:

"An army with the Sylvaneth Allegiance - sometimes known as a SYLVANETH army - can use the potent allegiance abilities on the following pages"

AND from the FAQ:

""All of the Stormcast units in the battalion [Guardians of Alarielle] are considered to be of Sylvaneth allegiance when it comes to choosing allegiance abilities."

All the abilities, command traits and spell lore specifically states HERO, or WIZARD keyword, NOT specifically SYLVANETH. But even if it did share the same wording as the app, and stated SYLVANETH HERO, per the FAQ stormcast are considered to be Sylvaneth for the purpose of selecting allegiance abilities. 

Looking at the wording, I really don't see how it could be any clearer. 

Now whats really interesting, is since the battalion confers the keyword "Sylvaneth", Our hidden enclaves rules states You can set up a SYLVANETH unit OR BATTALION in the hidden enclaves. Since the Guardians of Alarielle, Gnarlroot and Ironbark battalions have the keyword SYLVANETH, it looks like you could reserve them and them bring them into the forest during your movement phase. By this logic, we might even be able to teleport order wizards between wyldwoods since they count as Sylvaneth for the purpose of benefiting from allegiance abilities (and yes, Navigate Realmroots is an allegiance ability as listed on pg 106)

If that's true (and again, RAW + FAQ, I don't see how it wouldn't be) It's a whole new ball game!

Archived