Pestilens Plague Monks Question

Tom W

Plague Monks Bringer-of-the-Word with a plague scroll. When he activates this in his hero phase, he effectively curses the unit he is targeting. Does that mean that all attacks (from my whole army, including shooting) on that unit get to re-roll 1's to wound or just the plague monks in the same unit? 

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 12.43.49.png

I guess if you unleash this scroll, plus the contagion banner plus a wither prayer from your priest in the same turn, a unit of these critters can become quite killy. The contagion banner is once per game also, isn't it? The wording seems a bit loose.

Plague Monks are a fantastic unit. Take all the banners and all the musicians and all the knives. Have at them.

On the charge:

• 3 attacks per model re-rolling hits
  • Plague Scroll to re-roll wounds of 1
  • Contagion banner means wounds of 6 can then cause a mortal wound on a further 6
  • Bale-chime makes 6's to wound have a rend of -1
  • Icon of pestilence means you can inflict mortal wounds on a 6 for each monk that then dies

@Tom W Contagion Banner is once per game

3 minutes ago, Nubgan said:

Learning the intricacies and synergy between my units has been mental recently, I made some laminated cards with all my abilities on so I don't forget them all, because Monks have a LOT of them.

Honestly, the note-keeping part of the game is a little too mentally taxing for me. However, I think it's ripe for a computer game version or magical board that kept track of all the status effects.

10 minutes ago, James McPherson said:

Yeah I struggle as a newbie to AOS, trying to learn to play with my Pestilens has been a bit of a challenge. I've played 2 games so far and forgotten to use my bale chimes and icon of pestilence in each game  and doom gong in one game.. even harder when you are tired

I think Plague monks rules are probably one of the hardest to remember in the game. Great once memorised!

I'll take a picture of the cards I made later, literally got the Phase the cards used in capital letters and a short description of the ablity. Means I can stick cards on top of or next to units too. Probably will get the hang of them eventually, but I don't get to play very often so thats a while out xD

32 minutes ago, Tom W said:

I think Plague monks rules are probably one of the hardest to remember in the game. Great once memorised!

that and learning how to pile in with them/ maximise their attacks , and generally move a large unit of them without getting in the way of other units etc, and learning how to keep them alive after the first turn of combat, all makes for a hard unit to learn how to get the best out of

I know it sucks to use the Woestaffs, but I actually stuck 5 in my unit of 20 so I got the extra reach with a couple, been as the things your attacking tend to have smaller frontages and that you want your plaguefurnace to be close for the spikey wheel nonsense.

Does anyone think a unit bigger than 20 is worth it, or should I just get 2x20? I do have mine running with a unit of 20 Plaguebearers too mind.

1 hour ago, Nubgan said:

I know it sucks to use the Woestaffs, but I actually stuck 5 in my unit of 20 so I got the extra reach with a couple

Hey,

Nice thinking, but unfortunately you can't just mix in a few Plague Monks with a Foetid Blade and Woe-stave when the rest of the unit has a pair of Foetid Blades. The options are for the unit as a whole. This applies to the majority of units within AoS...though just to make it awkward there are some exceptions (Ardboyz for example).

I'm running mine in large units of 30 and screening them when possible with smaller units of 10 monks or plaguebearers to help stop them being charged, and using as many buffs as I can to help with their bravery. things like Pestilent Clawpack (immune to BS on a piece of terrain you chose at start of game) a skaven BSB (immune to BS within bubble) crown of conquest (can use inspiring presence twice in a turn). add some of those along with the benefits of congregation of filth (6+ ward) and the icon of pestilence, and they start to become a little more resilient, it's still early days yet with me but that's the route I am headed down. I really want to try and keep Monks as battle line so a legacy BSB might not be an option , but with the new chaos magic items , the crown of conquest helps a LOT with inspiring presence.

If I'm honest I am sticking with them in the hope that later down the line they get more models and decent Faction Traits and Abilities, but also because I love any rules where "insert text here" happens on the roll of a 6 and plague monks have that in abundance.

You can get maximum reach if you reform to a crescent shape and encircle your opponent as much as possible BEFORE and whilst charging, takes a bit of tactical thinking to get it right, but that way you can get most of your models in. I think Grot generals suffer the same way

1 hour ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey,

Nice thinking, but unfortunately you can't just mix in a few Plague Monks with a Foetid Blade and Woe-stave when the rest of the unit has a pair of Foetid Blades. The options are for the unit as a whole. This applies to the majority of units within AoS...though just to make it awkward there are some exceptions (Ardboyz for example).

I honestly didn't realise that was a thing, and the times I have used them like this it hasn't been picked up either. Where abouts is there a rule or statement to concrete this situation, because its not entirely clear anywhere from what I have seen yet.

16 minutes ago, Nubgan said:

I honestly didn't realise that was a thing, and the times I have used them like this it hasn't been picked up either. Where abouts is there a rule or statement to concrete this situation, because its not entirely clear anywhere from what I have seen yet.

The Unit Description. This is the most often overlooked rule area of AoS (as in the restrictions written in the Unit Description).

@Nubgan

Yeh I do agree the wording isn't perhaps the best (how very unlike GW! ;)). Fortunately you screenshotted the warscroll which allowed me quick reference to check these weren't one of the units that could mix!

The wording states that "some units..." and "..whilst others" - this description of what they are equipped with refers to the unit as a whole rather than talking about individual models at all.

You can reference the Ardboyz scroll for an example of wording that specifically allows individual models to be equipped differently (unfortunately don't have access myself at the moment).

There is a further sort of warscroll, which allows what I call special weapons (things like Starsoul Maces, Gore Choppas etc). In these instances the warscroll will clearly specify how many models in the unit may be given these.

Hopefully I've explained that ok without making it overly convoluted!

As an aside, it's pretty commonplace (and acceptable) to model your unit with a mixture of weapons from an aesthetical viewpoint. As a rule of thumb though, I would ensure that the majority are equipped with what you are using in game.

And finally, in friendly/club games, I guess it may not matter anyway, depends on your local gaming group I guess.

If you said to me, "do you mind if I use these 5 with Woe-staves as modelled, even though the unit has Foetid Blades?" I wouldn't care one bit and would be totally fine with it. :) 

Archived