Basing the Mortal realms

pseudonyme

Dear fellow plastic crack addicts,

With the upcoming new edition of AoS and the incentive of choosing a realm for your armies, I wondered how would every realm bases could look like.

The goal of this topic is to gather examples of bases representing each Mortal realms as, for example, I did not find many examples for Chamon and Hysh. I thought a topic on the subject might be a good idea. I will try to update with your suggestions and my random findings.

My personal interest today on that topic is  my Tzeentch demon army, which I don’t have a clue how to base them. I must confess that I am relatively new to miniature painting (2 years) and that I am yet learning to base them (I do almost the minimum job on my Legion of Nagash army).

The Mortal realms providing artefacts and spells:

• Realm of Aqshy / Realm of Fire
  • Realm of Chamon /  Realm of Metal
  • Realm of Ghur /  Realm of Beasts
  • Realm of Ghyran / Jade kingdom / Realm of Life
  • Realm of Hysh /  Realm of Light
  • Realm of Shyish / Amethyst Realm /  Realm of Death
  • Realm of Ulgu / Realm of Shadows

• 2 weeks later...

I saw someone do a base for Chamon using the shattered dominion bases and painting the raised bits like mud or copper and the streams as silver. I'm considering remaking my tzeentch arcanites for chamon so will probably have a bit of a play around.

I'd love to see how people are approaching Hysh and Ulgu more than others - the others seem to be quite straight forward.

My army, I guess, comes from Ulgu. As a result, I imagine it to be cold and I have snowy bases - though not totally covered. I picked up some red tufts of grass as some colour contrast for the bases, but I'm not keen. Instead, I'll use the marshy, darker grasses and probably dry brush little bits with purple or grey or something. 

What I'm unsure of is to what extent do you represent the Realm? Is it all totally on fire, or covered in flora, or is the sky raining metal? I imagine parts of the Realms are very representative of the nature of the realm, but I guess some of it must be relatively 'normal'?

Completely forgot that I started this topic ?

Concerning Hysh, I guess that I would do like for my shyish bases: adding crystals made of sprues but instead of magenta, I would go pale yellow.

@Lightbox for Chamon, whtv did a guide more or less like you described. But I was wondering how would it would like with pure hobbying. I might try metal rocks and rivers of gold, metal, copper to see how it would look like.

For Ulgu, maybe painting optical illusions?

I wonder if a box with Realm bits would sell? Like the one with skulls but with prisms, flames and little weird animals for Ghur 

1 hour ago, pseudonyme said:

I wonder if a box with Realm bits would sell? Like the one with skulls but with prisms, flames and little weird animals for Ghur 

I would totally buy that, I love bases. The main reason I am doing a new SC army is the shadespire factions and new sacrosainct fancy base...

NB : with the multiplication of very thematic playing mat (snow, lava, city...), and now this new AoS where coming from a very specific realm could inspire very original base, aren't you afraid/bothered your armies will almost never fit the battleground ? (no more very versatile brown base with some green tuffs). 

I hope GW will produce new fancy mats and bases...

Personnaly, I have the GW soulblight necropolis mat where my NH, SC and my Nurgle army will fight mon son's Ironjawz in Shyish (with matching snow bases, tombstones, ...)

and the Khorne mat (lava and turquoise stones) where my KO, ID and my fire Seraphon will fight my son Khorne army in Aqshy , with matching bases, like :

Archived