Let's chat Stormcast Eternals

Requizen

3 minutes ago, Olincay said:

Scions of the storm and the vexillor mitigate the range issue on the heroes buffs.
It's still not 100% but nothing in this game is.

Scions would need to be heroes down a turn before the unit you want to stack buffs on but it is better than before in this case definitely (well bar the likes of Skyborne Slayers)

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone thought of running HammerStrike force with the Celestial vindicators Chamber using 3X units of protectors?
The command ability from the vindicators chamber will be giving your protectors +1 attack.
Say you ran 2 units of 10 and a unit of 5 with no starsouls and you managed to get them all in range to get the buff,
you'd be pumping 100+ attacks.

1 hour ago, Olincay said:

Has anyone thought of running HammerStrike force with the Celestial vindicators Chamber using 3X units of protectors?
The command ability from the vindicators chamber will be giving your protectors +1 attack.
Say you ran 2 units of 10 and a unit of 5 with no starsouls and you managed to get them all in range to get the buff,

Yeah, I was thinking about this idea. Also, you can add LCoD with a Stormstrike Glaive- this bonus will affect him as well.

Pretty nasty combo.

Do you think it's possible to make a list able to win the ranged fight against gunlines or heavy magic list ?

I was thinking about something like 10 protector, a thunderhead brotherhood (3x5 liberators and 2x10 judicators with bow) and 2 castellant/veritant with lantern of the tempest, as well as a general with staunch defender. Taking blessed weapon with the priests available for making the judicators murderous.

ennemy ranged attack have -1 to hit, must reroll 6, and everyone has +1 save. The judicator have a +2 save and reroll 1 to wound. I'm a bit concerned by the mobility of the list, sadly (everyone need to be packed together)

At this early stage, this looks like the equivalent of the Gnarlroot Wargrove for Sylvaneth. It might even be better to take a min sized unit of 5 Decimators instead of a third unit of Protectors. While they gain little from the synergies, other than wounding on 2+, they are still 2 cheap Starsoul Maces and project a +2 to Battleshock debuff in a 6" bubble (i.e. they don't even need to be in combat for it to work). 

Do you think it's possible to make a list able to win the ranged fight against gunlines or heavy magic list ?

Well Stormcast are Gunlines, so yes you can win that battle, especially with 30" range Raptors added.

As you've said, you now have a load of anti-pew pew, so you can potentially even deal with the Kunning Rukk and the like.

Finally, Pew Pew outranges Magic (both due to the ranges involved and as you move then shoot, while you cast then move), so DoT are trembling in their Fractal Bandwagons unless Stormcast are foolish enough to slam high value models into a bunker of Brimstone Horrors only for the DoT to get a hero phase with 6 Wizards in range, who summon on another 3 Wizards.

5 hours ago, BURF1 said:

First, assume that no army in the game will ever be threatened by a unit that moves 4" per turn with no speed boosts and limited resiliance, regardless of damage output.

Disagree with the 4" per turn move. It all depends on the scenario you are playing. There are plenty of battle plans where one side is on the defensive, and your opponent has to come to you (with turn limits).  In this case the 4" move is not as big a deal.   Although don't get me wrong 4" move still sucks.

5 hours ago, Olincay said:

Ya started to build a list similar to this, taking 4 units of vanguard hunters a knight vexillor 2 lord aquilors and HammerStrike with all protectors. My idea is to teleport my prosecutors up close then lightning strike paladins next to them and bring rest of list in from pursuit to box the enemy in.

2 hours ago, chord said:

Disagree with the 4" per turn move. It all depends on the scenario you are playing. There are plenty of battle plans where one side is on the defensive, and your opponent has to come to you (with turn limits).  In this case the 4" move is not as big a deal.   Although don't get me wrong 4" move still sucks.

I should have made the caveat that I was assuming battleplans intended for competitive play. If you get some kind of wacky scenario where your opponent has to throw themselves into the retributor line then yeah it becomes a little more viable, but why would you double celestant relictor retributors someone in a narrative game?

Started to build a Knights Excelsior  -  Devastation Brotherhood list.  Knights Excelsior will allow your ball of paladins 10 Prot/5 Ret/ 5 Dec to re roll saves of 1.  The idea was to bring a LCoD with Staunch Defender making your Saves 3+, and then bringing a Castellant to make the 10 Prot 2+ Save re- rolling 1s, and effectively make all the paladins and the LCoD having 2+ Rerollable save versus shooting.  Would also bring a 10man unit of judicators with a relictor using bless weapons to use Devasation brotherhood to pin units back helping make up for the slowness of the paladins. 

1 hour ago, BURF1 said:

I should have made the caveat that I was assuming battleplans intended for competitive play. If you get some kind of wacky scenario where your opponent has to throw themselves into the retributor line then yeah it becomes a little more viable, but why would you double celestant relictor retributors someone in a narrative game?

You can have competitive narrative battleplan games. 

1 hour ago, Votters said:

Started to build a Knights Excelsior  -  Devastation Brotherhood list.  Knights Excelsior will allow your ball of paladins 10 Prot/5 Ret/ 5 Dec to re roll saves of 1.  The idea was to bring a LCoD with Staunch Defender making your Saves 3+, and then bringing a Castellant to make the 10 Prot 2+ Save re- rolling 1s, and effectively make all the paladins and the LCoD having 2+ Rerollable save versus shooting.  Would also bring a 10man unit of judicators with a relictor using bless weapons to use Devasation brotherhood to pin units back helping make up for the slowness of the paladins. 

how do you go from 4+ to 2+ save ? 

I'm not sure I want to also jump on the Celestial Vindicators train, but wow the more I look at it the better it seems.

Remember, the turn the Protectors come down, they have +1 to Wound, so against Monsters they're getting d6 damage on 5s rather than 6s. 

6 minutes ago, ledha said:

how do you go from 4+ to 2+ save ? 

I messed up the Protector ability, its -1 to hit not +1 to save. 

Staunch Defender Provides 6" bubble of +1 to save for general and friendly units that have not charged.  Lord Castelant lantern provides 1 unit +1 to Save. Protectors make to hit rolls for everything -1.  So only the LCoD and the unit with the buff from Castelant would be 2+ Saves.  The other units of paladins in the LCoD bubble would be 3+ Saves. If within 3" of two other units,  re-rolling save rolls of 1.  

1 hour ago, chord said:

You can have competitive narrative battleplan games. 

Not really, I mean you can obviously play competitive lists in narrative battleplans but that doesn't make them competitive games. Imagine playing Path to Glory, the Monolith in a tournament, 'Alrighty let's roll off to see who's the defender, I roll 2 you roll 5 so you are defender, you have enough wounds between me and the 3" line that I can't possibly get there in the 4ish turns I have, so you win, let's go get a sandwich.'

7 hours ago, SpleenThief said:

Ya started to build a list similar to this, taking 4 units of vanguard hunters a knight vexillor 2 lord aquilors and HammerStrike with all protectors. My idea is to teleport my prosecutors up close then lightning strike paladins next to them and bring rest of list in from pursuit to box the enemy in.

You probably dont need to teleport the prosecutors, you could set them up on the 12" line and run them up. 

With the paladins being able to deploy within 12" of the prosecutors because of the celestial vindicators chamber ability you has a massive threat range. 

Alternately using your vexillor to teleport your general or secondry general into range of your paladins with a +1 to hit or +1 to attack. 

Itl take alittle foresight and planning but i think it's possible.  

18 minutes ago, Olincay said:

You probably dont need to teleport the prosecutors, you could set them up on the 12" line and run them up. 

With the paladins being able to deploy within 12" of the prosecutors because of the celestial vindicators chamber ability you has a massive threat range. 

Alternately using your vexillor to teleport your general or secondry general into range of your paladins with a +1 to hit or +1 to attack. 

Itl take alittle foresight and planning but i think it's possible.  

Read it again, the Celestial Vindicator ability doesn't change the teleport distance.

2 hours ago, BURF1 said:

Not really, I mean you can obviously play competitive lists in narrative battleplans but that doesn't make them competitive games.

Actually that does make then competitive. But that topic is not for this thread.

6 hours ago, chord said:

Actually that does make then competitive. But that topic is not for this thread.

I disagree that the nature of the list is the only, or even most important factor in determining a 'competitive game' but do agree that it is not the purpose of this thread to discuss that.

Vanguard raptors have been 'leaked' to be 35$ to a box, and I know it's been addressed her already but do we really think there's even an outside chance it's a box of 6 rather than 3?

Archived