Duardin/Dwarfs falling short?

Fungrim

Loving AoS, but can't help but feel my favourite little bearded ones haven't transferred well.

Obviously they're a very rank & file, pew pew army which suited old fantasy (despite them never being particularly powerful). Sadly their short move and lack of buffs means I've found them lacking so far in AoS. 

Anyone else found this??

What kinds of builds are people using, similar to the old 8th setups?

Dwarfs are now Dispossessed and they play almost identical to 8th - an immovable gun line. War Machines are a bit less crazy than in 8th but Dwarfs no longer have to stay in rigid formations which means they can spread out and be more defensive.

Dwarfs are one of the most powerful armies, especially for new players who often don't have first-turn threats - meaning the Dwarfs can deploy far back and have a few turns of free shooting before the opponent can even reach them.

For AoS the Dwarfs have been reinvented as the Fyreslayers which is an entire new army with all new models and great lore. If you want to mix it up you can add them to a dwarf army to have more offensive options.   

Hmmm, I'm in the same boat, man. Going solo Fyreslayers still and eventually I'll try to combine or even run full Dispossessed but it's a weird transition for me also, since I crave hand to hand and it's missing something in solo faction. I'm not wanting to run a GA, though I'll give it a chance eventually. Just a preference thing.

15 hours ago, Veterannoob said:

Hmmm, I'm in the same boat, man. Going solo Fyreslayers still and eventually I'll try to combine or even run full Dispossessed but it's a weird transition for me also, since I crave hand to hand and it's missing something in solo faction. I'm not wanting to run a GA, though I'll give it a chance eventually. Just a preference thing.

I'd love to give Fyreslayers a go at some point, the aesthetic is amazing and I really want a Magmadroth or 2. Think I'll wait until they've padded the army out a bit - still hoping they'll get another monster or some cavalry etc.

Meanwhile I'm sticking with normal dwarfs, but thinking of adding in some Empire to boost it a bit - a few wizards and some bits & pieces that offer more mobility and objective capturing. Not sure if it'll work well or not.

Also - from what I've seen of the General's Handbook leaks, much of the Dispossessed and Ironweld are quite expensive points-wise... which I get considering the damage output of say, a cannon or an organ gun, but still. Shame Quarellers and Thunderers look to have been dropped as core/battleline too

I don't know how effective it's going to be, but I plan on using a Dwarf Lord on Shieldbearers with the Legendary Fighter command trait and the Relic Blade. 4 Damage 4 attacks with -2 rend should be capable of laying down the pain for a pretty beefy 160 points.

I got my fill of shooting back in 8th ed, it's time for the Duardin to reap some revenge with good old fashioned axes and Hammerers

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

My most recent dwarf army was 100pts under the south coast system. 

Thorgrim, 20 ironbreakers on the left.

ungrim, 20 slayers on left but close enough for thorgrims command trait.

the artillery formation thing with 2 cannons, flame cannon and grim burlockson.

Anvil o doom and 10 miners.

dealt out a ton of damage and ironbreakers with shield wall are really hard to shift but they're just so slow, miners digging up helps but still. Think gyrocopters or cavalry might be needed 

I feel the same way with my empire, bretts, freepeople, freeguild or devoted of sigmar?  Identity crisis.  So many subfactions that don't make any sense.  Maybe fluff wise, but not currently table top wise.

Also thinking of mixing in dwarves with freepeopleguild of sigmar.  Not sure yet, perhaps some dwarven ground pounders with 'peoples guild of free sigmars dovoted to mounts', you heard it here first folks.  I still have a few of my old imperial dwarves from back in the day, but really love the new mini's to convert my own.

Obviously the rumoured Steamhead Duardin line may go a long way to making dwarfs more competitive, especially if this fabled golem is actually coming. 

In the meantime it is difficult to make them work.

Played a few times more since posting this thread - 

Another huge issue for Dwarfs is lack of mortal wounds. They really find it hard to cope with elites and characters - if they're lucky enough to make it across the board into combat, it's possible to dish out enough damage (Hammerers for instance) but the short move and 1 wound a piece means this doesn't always happen sadly.

In other news: I built a Steam Tank the other day........

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Solvanic said:

I run Berloksson buffing 30 Quarrelers with 2 tunesmiths and a lord on shield bearers for 60 4+/3+ r-2 at 24" range. 

Niiiiice! I like it. Such a shame Quarrellers aren't battleline though - would make them far more worthwhile

17 hours ago, Fungrim said:

Niiiiice! I like it. Such a shame Quarrellers aren't battleline though - would make them far more worthwhile

Thanks!

My full 2k setup is currently:

1x cannon: 

Burloksson: 

2x  balista: 

30Quarrellers: 

2x runelord: 

Lord on Shieldbearers: (the general)

unforged:  (gets relic blade)

30 warriors: 

Steam Tank: 

Gyrocopter: 

6 hours ago, Solvanic said:

Thanks!

My full 2k setup is currently:

1x cannon: 

Burloksson: 

2x  balista: 

30Quarrellers: 

2x runelord: 

Lord on Shieldbearers: (the general)

unforged:  (gets relic blade)

30 warriors: 

Steam Tank: 

Gyrocopter: 

do your 30 warriors come at 3 x 10-dwarf units?

Isn't that army incredibly vulnerable to any sort of teleporting/dropping/rushing tactics? A pig army or teleport banner would ruin that army before it got the chance to do anything at all.

I'm wondering if a more balanced tanky/shooty mix isn't better? Haven't had the pleasure of playtesting yet though.

2 hours ago, Darth Alec said:

Isn't that army incredibly vulnerable to any sort of teleporting/dropping/rushing tactics? A pig army or teleport banner would ruin that army before it got the chance to do anything at all.

I'm wondering if a more balanced tanky/shooty mix isn't better? Haven't had the pleasure of playtesting yet though.

Semi Vulnerable yes, although the unforged is a 1 man wrecking ball, and all of the quarrelers can fight decently in melee too. As does the steam tank. 

14 minutes ago, Veterannoob said:

Dwarfs are never vulnerable and fear not! @Solvanic is right to feel as he does! :D

The unforged himself will do ~8damage/turn (16 against chaos). The 30 warriors are decent fighters with rerollable 5+ saves. But you're right that the shooting is where the main power of the army is, with 3 buffed artillery pieces + the Quarrelers + steam tank/gyro.

Archived