Dracothian heavy SCE army?

brimmstorm

Hello!

I am currently playing the vile forces of Chaos, and I'm looking to start a new army and Stormcast are not that popular in my area so I'm looking at starting an army of them. I'm mainly interested in the Dracothian units though. Has anyone run a mostly Dracothian army? Any tips on what I should run?  Any advice would be welcome!

Thank you!

They can be a lot of fun, but they're expensive points-wise.   They lack any ability to be battleline, so you'll still have to make use of other stormcast units for that. 

I recommend a knight heraldor or two, they allow you to pick a unit that can then charge even if it retreats or runs that turn.  

Concussors are good all rounders,  fulminators are devastating on a charge. 

While you can't (unfortunately) run Dracothian battleline, they can fill out the rest of the army well enough. Fulminators and Tempestors are your best bet (the other two are either overcosted or just bad). Stardrake or LCoDracoth can both work well as generals, but I would also recommend a couple foot heroes in the Lord Relictor and Castellant. 

I think I'd go Lord Aquilor as general to unlock the vanguard hunters as battle line since they are the most mobile battle line stormcast have and you can bring them onto the table at any movement phase you want.   Then just populate with whatever else you want.  

Plus in AoS2.0 you can use the command abilities of other heroes.

2 minutes ago, chord said:

unlock the vanguard hunters as battle line since they are the most mobile battle line stormcast have

They're also the worst... I think Libs or Juds would both be a better call. 

Now if they get a nice point reduction in the next GHB edition, then all this changes!

5 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

Now if they get a nice point reduction in the next GHB edition, then all this changes!

Yeah I'm trying to hold off until the new book comes out before I go and buy any models, but it's getting hard waiting!

51 minutes ago, Freejack02 said:

oh I agree they are way worse then liberators or judicators.  But both of those have movement issues, and could never keep up with the rest of the army.  if you put the vanguard hunters into the minimum unit size to meet battle line , then just focus on the main theme of the army.

But not too much longer till the GHB 2018

I love dracoh.

But my advice:

1. wait just a little bit the new AoS 2 for the new cavalry. It semms that we will see some new mounted units bothe light and heavy. I am soooooo glad to see that myself. I'm looking forward to expanding my SCE cavalry

2. the battleline tax units: you are lucky, SCE battleline is one of (if not THE) Best battleline of the whole game: Judicators. Not only they are great at battleline but they also are a great complement /coverline  to a cavalry based army. So, 2 boxes of 10 judi and you are ok for taxes points. (or 1 box+ find somewhere 5 liberators.) It is also the CHEAPEST investment (in real money) into battleline in the whole game!!

20 hours ago, Richelieu said:

A guy in Australia or New Zealand won a fairly large tournament with an army that had 8 dracothian guard.  I'll have to try to find the list.

the guy was lucky enough to not meet a single tzeentch or fyreslayer army, while facing lot of gunlines with few mortal wounds that his fulminators destroyed

24 minutes ago, ledha said:

the guy was lucky enough to not meet a single tzeentch or fyreslayer army, while facing lot of gunlines with few mortal wounds that his fulminators destroyed

Every tournament winner is lucky to not face lists that are counters to theirs.  Tzeentch is lucky every time they don't face KO.  There is no list right now that is strong against every other list (OK maybe Fyreslayers, our only saving grace is that not many people enjoy painting 120 naked dwarves).  

Yes, that's actually true. Dracoths are good enough to garantee a honorable result against most of the armies and list. I play them regularly at 1000 pts (6 of them, because i'm a sick ******) and at 2000. Judicators as battleline, a big stardrake, one/two support heroes and everything else in dracoth is more than decent

Archived