Cheap Efficient Battleline Troops

Josh

Hey peeps,

Im looking for some cheap/ useful troops for chaff/ screening, just wondering if there is something better / able to take a hit over the skinks? I could be a little over critical but just incase im missing some hidden gold? Just for a local 1000 pts tourny

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
Freeguild General (100)
- Stately War Banner
Luminark Of Hysh With White Battlemage (240)

Battleline
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
20 x Freeguild Handgunners (200)
20 x Skinks (120)
- Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers

War Machines
Highborn Repeater Bolt Thrower (120)

Total: 980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 82

Basically there's a reason why Skinks and Dire Wolves are so good.

They're fast cheap battleline which are basically immune to battleshock. They basically always get an armour save as well. My gut feel is they won't stay at 60 points in the next GHB as GW are underestimating their chaffing ability.

That being said, if you want something to take the hit (i.e blockade for your Handgunners), then there are tougher units which could be used for chaff but they're going to come in at more points.

Some good candidates would be:

Freeguild Guard - Can benefit from the Freeguild Generals command ability. Have the best armour save out of 80 point units if using the Sword + Shield option. If not look elsewhere.

Eternal Guard - If they form their fortress are arguably better than the above as they will put out a bit of damage as well.

Duardin Warriors - Can pack the punch as well as get re-roll benefits from their shields.

Archived